swoopfly

Why is it that......

when you attend a party or get together with your non skydiving friends, everyone wants to jump or "would do it" but no one ever actually does do it?

Do all the guys want to look tough and talk a big game in the moment? It seems i have talked this talk with alot of my non skydiving friends, trying to talk them into jumping. You would think that someone who always says yeah lets jump would eventually make it out after so many years of saying it but No.

this is what brings us skydivers close, sharing a sport with each other that you cant convince anyone into trying, they have to want it for themselves and at the minimal risk of your life. so thanks all who share this sport with me, it would be boring doing only solo's

when you attend a party or get together with your non skydiving friends, everyone wants to jump or "would do it" but no one ever actually does do it?

Do all the guys want to look tough and talk a big game in the moment? It seems i have talked this talk with alot of my non skydiving friends, trying to talk them into jumping. You would think that someone who always says yeah lets jump would eventually make it out after so many years of saying it but No.

this is what brings us skydivers close, sharing a sport with each other that you cant convince anyone into trying, they have to want it for themselves and at the minimal risk of your life. so thanks all who share this sport with me, it would be boring doing only solo's

After the skydiving conversation at the party do they all seem to smile and graciously excuse themselves and begin avoiding you at the party and gather into small groups that glance over at you and point?

My friends know I skydive. If they were interested, they would let me know. Trust me, other people get bored with it.

My old roommate used to say, "When my golf buddies come over, we talk about golf for 2 hours. Same thing."

I get calls like, "my coworker Bob wants to go skydiving and I told him to call you".
At that point, they want someone who can provide information.

Remember, if your buddy breaks his ankle and can't work for a month, his wife will blame you.

I think this is not only about skydiving - any sort of activity which gives you (and spectators) emotional burst... like skiing, kayaking etc... does not have to be extreme. Almost all people are hungry for action once in a while. When you talk to your non-skydiving friends about it and they say "they would do it", they really mean it and not look for an excuse right at the moment. They surely picture themselves doing it (and it must be very sweet feeling, almost like real action), all roadblocks look insignificant comparing to rewards... But later, when sweet dream fades off a bit, and realization of price yo have to pay, time you have to dedicate, fear factor, anticipation of self-performance anxiety and frustration (which everybody is familiar with having real life experience in any field) comes to the other side of the "scale" - the excuse to back off comes in one or another form very naturally...
And here comes the difference between them and us - they can easily fulfill the hunger just dreaming about it once in a while. we can not...

It seems i have talked this talk with alot of my non skydiving friends, trying to talk them into jumping.

There's the problem right there.

When you challenge them on it, of course they're going to say that they would like to do it, because otherwise they figure you'll think they're a wimp.

So quit trying to talk people into it. If the subject comes up, answer questions, describe how much you love it, whatever. But don't be pushy about trying to convince other people to join you.

It seems i have talked this talk with alot of my non skydiving friends, trying to talk them into jumping.

When you challenge them on it, of course they're going to say that they would like to do it, because otherwise they figure you'll think they're a wimp.

So quit trying to talk people into it. If the subject comes up, answer questions, describe how much you love it, whatever. But don't be pushy about trying to convince other people to join you.

This just hit the nail on the head. I had a buddy that kept pushing me to go skydiving together to experiance it for the both of us for the first time. He had set up a date several times and a day or before the date to jump, he would cancel on me. I convinced myself that I really wanted to just try it just to say I experianced it. Once I did my tadem, I went right to the office and signed up for the course. I did a static jump that afternoon after completing my ground school. I now have 15 jumps and still counting. :)

well while i do push towards the "everyone should try it once" theory, i also usually state that you should NOT do it if you do not have the want to, i mean lets face it i know some people do not see the fun and amazing side to this and i would tell those people they shouldent try it then. But for those that want to but are hesitant on the unknown, those are the ones i usually try and talk into coming out to the DZ if nothing more than to just check it out.

>everyone wants to jump or "would do it" but no one ever actually does do it?

Maybe because they're trying to be polite and talk about what you're doing?

Imagine talking to a woman who is really into yoga. She tells you in detail about what she's doing and is clearly excited. "Wow, that sounds really cool; that must be great in terms of flexibility."

"Yeah, it would really help you with skydiving! You should try it!"

"Yeah, sounds great."

She might take away from that "he's going to try it" - you might take away "she's excited about it and I was just talking to her about it."

I hear it a lot too, and it kind of makes me sad. You really want to do this, but you don't? Lame for you.

I answer their questions nicely, and if I have one on me, I give them a card for my DZ which gets them a little discount on their first tandem.

Then I usually try to change the subject because I feel like people think I'm fishing for attention :P

Why do you think that 98 percent of tandems don't come back??
And even if they go thru aff, how many of them do you see that sticks around after 2 years in sport????

Most people don't like jumping as much as some do.

And if people have questions about skydiving i tell them

"go search freefly in youtube."

And to my surprise alot of non-skydiver think it is kinda gay to hold hands in mid air.
And non-skydivers tend to be more intrested in speed competitions.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

The worst is when you get someone who says they always wanted to do it... and they are in their 50's:S
Well... must not have wanted it to bad, or ya would have done it by now!

(and no, I don't have anything against jumpers who started in their 50's, but I don't believe they "always" wanted to do it, at least not that badly.)

Yeah. Agree with John on that. In my first year or two in the sport, I couldn't understand how any of my friends could not like skydiving and figured that they just needed to experience it and they'd understand why it was so cool. After a couple of years, I realized that there was no point trying to convince people to go. If they want to go, they'll go. Even then, I've had probably 30 or more people over the last few years approach me saying that they want to try skydiving and asking me for advice on where to go, how much it will cost, when is good, etc. I answer their questions and tell them what they want to know, but I don't have any expectations. As yet, only one of those people has actually gone skydiving.

I'll also add that the only person I've ever seen go for a tandem and not enjoy it was a girl who was coerced into trying it by her boyfriend. Don't try to convince people. If they want to jump, they'll come to you, or possibly even just go to a dropzone and do it.

With something intense like skydiving I think people naturally are curious and picture themselves doing such, and verbalize whether or not they would or want to, it always happens.

I would say every time it comes up, such as if someone asks me what I did/am doing over the weekend and I tell them I jumped/will go to the dz, if they didn't already know I jumped, or I am discussing jumping for the first time in depth with someone who already knew I jumped and asked about it or something, at some point in the discussion, without my prompting, they usually either say, "I don't think I could or would ever do that," or "I have always wanted to do that/I'd really like to try that/etc."

It's usually one or the other, maybe half and half imho. I think it is telling that of the many people who have said they wanted to go or "would" go in general, maybe 10 people have said they would want to actually go in the immediate future with me or made tentative plans etc. and of those, this whole season, two have followed through.

Both were so happy they did, it's so cool to help facilitate someone's first jump experience and take pics for them (neither could afford the video even though I recommend it, so glad I spent the extra money on mine!)

I have tried the no pressure thing, telling people to just come watch, get a feel for the dz and the sport, jump if they feel like it or book a jump if they decide it is for them but just plan on watching and chilling, but so far no takers.

I think some people just don't see a four hour round trip as being that worthwhile of time, or $200+ being that worthwhile for a tandem or AFF-1?? *shrug* I personally think it is more than worth it. Hell, I contemplated doing some sort of birthday thing at the dz, getting my friends to just come out for drinks and food and hang out and watch, and me obviously make a b-day jump, but I started feeling people out and it was clear most just did not have the time/will to drive that far and devote a whole day to a dropzone.

I do think the money is a big part of it, even for those who really want to do it, and I think as a female I don't feel that any of my male or female friends have to prove they have "balls" by saying they'd do it lol. But I do agree it is sad that some people who say they have always wanted to do it, or once they think about it that they really want to do it, are held back. Let's face it, most of us could (and did) find some way to come up with a couple hundred extra dollars over the course of an entire season of 4-5 mos or more in the midwest. But, it is just not high on the priority list I guess.. that's ok, it's not for everyone, but I do feel like they are missing out..
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Why is it that......

Because their pussies! :D just kidding.

Had a sales rep come into the office on Monday to bring us lunch and pitch his product... He asked me if I did anything over the weekend and I said, "Nothing out of the ordinary". Just didn't feel like having that 'No way man' conversation with him at the time, and anyone that knows sales reps knows that they're a bunch of kiss-asses to begin with. :P:D;)
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

With something intense like skydiving I think people naturally are curious and picture themselves doing such, and verbalize whether or not they would or want to, it always happens...

...that's ok, it's not for everyone, but I do feel like they are missing out..

For those with short attention spans.. ;)

just messin with you skyflower I like your posts.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I think some people just don't see a four hour round trip as being that worthwhile of time, or $200+ being that worthwhile for a tandem or AFF-1?? *shrug* I personally think it is more than worth it.

That's totally me. Skydiving is the only hobby I've had (aside from hiking) that I found is worth spending half a tank of gas on for even one jump. In fact, I did it today when I got a late text saying "FREE GEAR RENTAL." haha. Got to work late because I had to make one jump.

I've only had one friend so far actually go on a tandem because I peaked their interest. But, everyone else either says "I couldn't do that" or "I really want to" but doesn't seem all that serious about it.

Skydiving must just be one of those things that can only happen if the person wants to do it for themselves. I went to the DZ all alone, did AFF alone, and completed my A license alone. I am slowly finding myself distanced a bit from my non-skydiving friends, actually. I don't know why that's happening, but I suppose that it might have something more to do with coming into my own self rather than tagging along with people I didn't have much in common with to begin with... I hung around them just because that's what I always did. They do things they do because that's what they think they should do or think it's what they want to do. I had the balls to step out of my comfort zone and it's paying off. I guess, as it may seem, they feel their ego hurt a little when they associate with me.

Though, I do find it interesting that every time my skydiving comes up in a conversation, nine times out of ten, it's a female that's interested. And, the males tend to back away from it. Why is that... considering this is a male dominated sport?

I really think that the people I know that say they want to go skydiving but never do... actually do want to go, but they are just like everyone else on this planet: they find comfort and safety in living in the rut they do. I had to put my comfort to the side and check my ego at the door to start skydiving. Not many of my friends are willing to do that.
Don't forget to pull!

...i have talked this talk with alot of my non skydiving friends, trying to talk them into jumping.

Let me guess - You tell them that it's perfectly safe, too.

Hopefully, you will never have a friend, whom to talked into jumping, seriously injured on a jump.

Provide information, then let people decide for themselves. Skydiving is not for everyone.

Kevin K.

I feel like the odd one here! I have asked some of my friends, "Hey I'm going to the dz to jump saturday, wanna come?" And i've gotten "yes" about 4 different times! A close friend, two other friends, and--my Dad! They came at different times and did their first tandem while I jumped. And of course a few "want to but don't have the money right now."

I had 12 friends come out and do tandems at the end of July. I have another one doing her first on Saturday. I don't feel I have talked anybody into it, but I am enthusiastic about my own skydiving. Before I allowed any of them to sign up I explicitly told them that there were risks involved and I wanted them to make sure that they were okay with taking those risks for themselves. I am very cautious not to try to talk somebody into it who is nervous or unenthusiastic.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"