swoopfly

Why is it that......

I had 12 friends come out and do tandems at the end of July. I have another one doing her first on Saturday. I don't feel I have talked anybody into it, but I am enthusiastic about my own skydiving. Before I allowed any of them to sign up I explicitly told them that there were risks involved and I wanted them to make sure that they were okay with taking those risks for themselves. I am very cautious not to try to talk somebody into it who is nervous or unenthusiastic.

Definitely. A big moral issue, as well as liability, not legal-sense liability necessarily, moreso just the feeling of being *responsible* and that if I talked someone into something or caused them to do something they wouldn't otherwise do, then something happened, I couldn't live with that.. But once I had outlined my own experience, answered their questions, asked if they were sure they wanted to jump and then I turned it over to them as adults, and the DZ waiver and training to inform them better than I could of what to expect and the risks and benefits.

Both were very happy they jumped and thanked me for being the final 'step' in their journey to get there, both having said it was something they'd wanted to do before discussing it with me, so I feel good having helped (via discussion about my passion for the sport, and providing a ride and support) two people make their first jumps.

Oh and @Melissa that is too funny, your dad not only came but he did a tandem!? AWESOME :) It feels so good to share the sport with friends and family, whether they are watching or jumping.

The two times I accompanied someone to do their first tandem I just shared my own enthusiasm and answered their questions as best as I could, and made sure to be straightforward about the risks and benefits. Plus once that was clear it was their choice, the dz and waiver do some educating on the safety aspect as well, and the risks.. so as long as I know that both I and they feel it is their choice, they can then deal with the dz, as an adult, and make that choice to jump! (or not).

Oh and both times I was headed to a dz that day anyways so made sure it was a no pressure situation- i.e. "I am driving there either way, no extra time/gas wasted if you choose not to," etc.

It's not for everyone, agreed, and you would feel awful (general you, not addressed to any certain poster or post, just addressing the issues Southern Man brought up) if you feel you pushed someone and then they were injured or worse.. unlikely, but not a good scenario to contemplate..

I know people on here have talked about in relationships when one jumps and the other does not, and that some really bad experiences have come about when a jumping partner or boy/girlfriend pressures someone into when they are really afraid or do not want to- even in an "uneventful" jump, it is no good to have someone doing it to go along with a group and appear to have "balls," on a dare, or especially on pressure from a close friend or romantic partner. A big part of skydiving is personal freedom and personal responsibility; any convincing or coercing takes away from that, and their experience! Part of it (a big part in my opinion) is making one's own decision to make a skydive.

But I am guessing most people who would say they "talked someone into" it are meaning that, by their enthusiasm and willingness to support someone making a jump, they allowed it to happen for that person- not that there are a bunch of people (hopefully!) who are being forced to make tandems lol.. but when that does occur under pressure of course it is a serious situation and not cool.

Though I must say, in Oregon, my friend was all excited talking about how he always wanted to go and was asking questions then stopped abruptly and looked down at my (sprained, bandaged) ankle and he goes, "wait... you didn't do that *skydiving* did you?" LOL I was like uhhhh yeah I did... he was like ok.... jumped and loved it but it was too funny. :P
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

It's not for everyone?
Which is a shame.

But as a friend put it to me this way,
"I get to pay $200 to be the little spoon to a guy I don't know for 40 seconds of fun? Do you know the kind of girl I can hire for that price for an hour!"
:P

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I think a lot of times there can be many factors that will determines if someone will jump or not. For example I fell into this category of "I really want to start jumping" about 6 years ago. Things just ended up working out where I had the money but not the time, the time and not the money, or I had both but was living in Connecticut and it was December. I am just now finally starting aff and would have loved to start it sooner but it's just one of those things where it can be somewhat difficult to get started in this sport.

...i have talked this talk with alot of my non skydiving friends, trying to talk them into jumping.

Let me guess - You tell them that it's perfectly safe, too.

Hopefully, you will never have a friend, whom to talked into jumping, seriously injured on a jump.

Cause if you do it's your fault... :S
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Clearly, you would never be bothered by this. However, some people may regret the decision. I'm just pointing out the possibility.

Kevin

Clearly, you would never be bothered by this. However, some people may regret the decision. I'm just pointing out the possibility.

Kevin

I would feel bad... just like I would feel bad for anyone injured regardless of whether or not I knew them. But we are all adults and should be wise enough to understand the risks involved... and if common sense isn't enough it should hit home after signing 5 pages of waivers.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----