MorfiusX

Talking to Kids About Skydiving

I am new to the sport and have two sons who are 5 and 2 years old. They know that I skydive, but I am trying to figure out a better way to talk to them about it. My older son is very impressionable right now and I want to make sure I give him a balanced message.

I don't want them to to grow up being afraid. I want them to know that they can do anything in life. I also want him to know some things are for "grown-ups" only. I don't think it is fair to them if I never talk about it (in case I were to get injured or killed).

So that is pretty much what I have told them so far. Since I started, they have "Daddy Skydived" off of step stools and chairs with their pillow cases. While it is very cute, I don't know if the is something I should be condoning.

I am really just looking for opinions on this. At their age, it can be hard to strike the right balance of "You can do anything, but only when you are old (mature) enough to understand the risks". I did some searching, but it seems most of the replies where from people with older children.

So that is pretty much what I have told them so far. Since I started, they have "Daddy Skydived" off of step stools and chairs with their pillow cases. While it is very cute, I don't know if the is something I should be condoning.

So you don't let them pretend to drive cars or play shooting things either? Pretending should always be encouraged in kids. You're really overthinking this. Bring 'em to the dropzone occasionally, let them be around the sport. Just like everything else in life, they'll learn eventually that people can be hurt. Let them figure it out in their own time... kids are smart. The know a lot more than parents think they do. Even at very young ages.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I’ve been taking my son to the dropzone since he was an infant. They want to be like Daddy; get them some “play” gear and occasionally take them with you. Also it’s your judgement (and their wish) but both could fly in a wind tunnel. Attached are some pics for ideas.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I’ve been taking my son to the dropzone since he was an infant. They want to be like Daddy; get them some “play” gear and occasionally take them with you. Also it’s your judgement (and their wish) but both could fly in a wind tunnel. Attached are some pics for ideas.

That's a good idea. Santa is gonna be a skydiver this year... :)

My boys are 2.5 and 4. They come with me to the DZ.

As far a conversations go, they understand that there are many things in life they can't do or have to wait until they are older. (driving, using the table saw, etc.)

For me personally, I find it much easier to be as upfront and honest as possible. They know about my accident and that you can get "very big boo boos or die skydiving." I do not believe that they completely understand the concept of death; but, they know that dying means they will never see you again.

I am comfortable taking them to the DZ and having them around skydivers. 99.999% have been incredibly kind and gererous to them. My only real issue is that they end up with far to many sweets and treats when they are at the DZ all day. And of course some of the interesting word and phrases they have learned. (fat bastard in Russian???)

Let them see and experience life. Let them pretend to be or do everything and anything. That is how kids start to learn about the world. I will try to protect my kids from the "hold my beer and watch this stupidity." The rest, they will need to learn from watching others screw up and their own share of hard knocks.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Just make sure you tell them that "play gear" will NOT work jumping out of trees or off the roof!:D

Jeez, don't worry about it. It's not like they're gonna get on the plane and jump themselves. :D

Let 'em play skydiver all they want. What's it going to hurt? When I was a kid, I played Army, and I never got killed. You really have nothing to worry about for your kids. Now whether or not they should go to the DZ is another topic. We raised 4 kids at our DZ but it was very child friendly. Your mileage may vary.

The helmet is one of my old ones. I had it fitted with a thicker liner and some neoprene around the chin strap.

The small parachute is actually a kite with the lines taken off (you can still attach the lines to use it as a kite in the park). It’s a 1.4sq/m Flexifoil Buzz http://www.powerkiteshop.com/kites/flexifoilbuzz.htm

For the suit, I inquired about having one made by a couple of the manufacturers and found it would be a 6-week wait and about £200 (a 2yr old doesn’t need a £200 jumpsuit), so instead it’s a small boiler suit that I found on the web and had a seamstress put matching leg cuffs and a bunch of skydiving patches compliments of my local rigger.

And lastly, a Google search on “children’s skydiving goggles” will not yield any results. They’re actually children’s horse racing goggles, but are very similar to the old standard Kroops skydiving goggles. In the UK they’re imported from the US, so will be easier for you to find.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"