mchamp

Your choice canopy

TheCaptain is right...

you do not want to listen to anyone telling anything other than what you want to hear

Funny ... DocPop got the same response from another astute observer almost 1 year ago...
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3669089#3669089

DocPop, stop talking and post some video.

And yet, still warm the blood that courses through my veins.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Velocity - for its relaxing openings, flat glide, and gentle landings.

Really? Thats so neat and cool I now must buy one....perhaps an 84 would be good! LOL ;)

"Can you teach me how to swoop??? I would like for you to teach me how to swoop. I have 29 jumps..." ;):D:S

I will listen to people who have seen me fly

Put up or shut up. Post some outside video of your landings.

Someone in these forums might have the right combination of experience and patience to help you. The rest of us would appreciate seeing someone with 200 jumps laying down some phat swoops on a Katana.

As I have said before, I will be accepting coaching from only those who see me jump at the DZ.

And no, I will not be posting video.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

What canopy do you jump and why/what made you choose it? Because of the opening, the swoop, flare, CRW, turns, glide, stress free, fronts, rears?

I jump a PD Sabre2 120 because of the fun factor with the fronts and decent openings. ;)

Triathlon 190, 175
Conservative, all-around canopies that do everything I want them to do. Consistently soft and on-heading openings and as "sporty" as I like to go. I'll fly my sweetheart 190 until it rots out from over my head...it's the Gelvenor material and she just wants to jump into the d-bag. :D

Next, I'll get a Pilot 188 or maybe a 168. Too bad I can't get it in the Gelvenor.

Note: "Sporty" is a relative term...relative to MY desires.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Triathlon 190, 175
Conservative, all-around canopies that do everything I want them to do. Consistently soft and on-heading openings and as "sporty" as I like to go. I'll fly my sweetheart 190 until it rots out from over my head...it's the Gelvenor material and she just wants to jump into the d-bag. :D

Next, I'll get a Pilot 188 or maybe a 168. Too bad I can't get it in the Gelvenor.

No kidding!
I bought a Tri and a Diablo in Gelvenor, and love that stuff.
Hell, I'd be willing to pay extra for it over the slippery-as-snot regular ZP.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Getting back to the original discussion.....;):P

How many of you out there chose your canopy based on openings? Interesting since its seems many WS people want nice openings as well as videographers with their equipment. Obviously videographers are more open to x-braced canopies

How many out there choose your canopy based on its flight characteristics?

Choices based on swooping?

Stress free but fun canopy? Just some things I wonder on how others choose theirs by :P

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I started out on a Spectre, I've jumped a lightly loaded Nitron, Sabres 1&2, Safires, a Katana once, and Pilots. My last canopy was a borrowed Pilot 150, and I'm on a Pilot 132 right now. I love 'em because they don't do anything spectacularly, but they do everything well. Plus, they're great for wingsuiting!
The best things in life are dangerous.

Getting back to the original discussion.....;):P

How many of you out there chose your canopy based on openings? Interesting since its seems many WS people want nice openings as well as videographers with their equipment. Obviously videographers are more open to x-braced canopies

How many out there choose your canopy based on its flight characteristics?

Choices based on swooping?

Stress free but fun canopy? Just some things I wonder on how others choose theirs by :P

I've chosen all my canopies (Spectre, Pilot, Pulse) for good openings and what you describe as "stress free but fun." They've gotten gradually less snivelly, but they're all known as solid, reliable, forgiving canopies when it comes to openings. I don't want to have to worry on opening, and I want the flexibility to be able to jump with larger groups from time to time - a canopy known for wacky, off-headers wouldn't work for me.

After 200 jumps on the Spectre, I wanted to try something with more glide, and the Pilot had that for sure. Put 300 jumps on it, then got the Pulse. If anything, the Pulse's glide is even flatter. I like the more positive openings relative to the Pilot and the reduced pack volume.

I've no interest in swooping, and my canopy choices have reflected that as well; none of them are known for being great swoop-training canopies, though I suppose with enough skill any of them can be swooped (just ask Tony Hathaway if you can swoop a Spectre...).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Originally, about a year before purchase i wanted a PD stiletto preferring it over the original crossfire.
However the crossfire2 was released onto the market and i decided to take a chance with one [ no demo:o ] having friend secure a reasonably good deal for me.
Despite the the ' No Demo ' as stated 7 years on i'm still loving the thing:)

.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Wingsuiters want something that will keep flying straight in case of line twists. 7-cells, such as the Spectre do that, but also many 9-cells as long as they aren't too elliptical. my first Wingsuit deployment was interesting: still a lot of forward speed resulted in me seeing my legwing on opening, and having multiple linetwists to kick out, good thing my Pilot kept flying straight.

I'm a bigway formation skydiver, so I want something that opens on heading. BTW I can't imagine ANY type of skydive where I would want bad openings: I always jump with other people, and I want to keep flying away from them after deployment.

I can't swoop, except double fronts, so swooping characteristics are unimportant to me.

I like to hang on half brakes, so a canopy that "floats" well is good, and it should be easy to land. That's it, really.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

That's what intrigues me is that it seems almost as if some people choose their canopies purely and solely based on the openings!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

it seems almost as if some people choose their canopies purely and solely based on the openings!

Many camera flyers genuinely do just that. When you do ten or even twenty jumps every day with a bunch of heavy stuff stuck to the top of your head, it's really important!

[edit: It's not just them. Some people just like to know what's going to happen every time they throw a pilot chute, and I can't say I disagree with them.]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?