mchamp

Your choice canopy

What canopy do you jump and why/what made you choose it? Because of the opening, the swoop, flare, CRW, turns, glide, stress free, fronts, rears?

I jump a PD Sabre2 120 because of the fun factor with the fronts and decent openings. ;)
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Crossfire2: The openings, riser pressure, toggle pressure, diving ability, glide on rears, flare. It does EVERYTHING good.

If I wanted something less high performance, I loved my Pilot to death.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

well, until it turned to paper, my Jedei 105. *cry* when i have money and a life again, it will be a samurai.

Brian's are the most "intuitive" canopies I've ever flown, I dunno how else to describe it. They just seem to know what I want them to do, and make it easy to do it.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I agree. Samurai 150.

Bought years ago for the air locks.
Still lovin it because: I can do things with it that others can't do with their canopy like:

Thermal up lift.
Grouund effect swoops.
Make it back to the dz.
Pull 3+ Gs on a "flat" turn swoop.
Glide through turbulant air like butter.
Save my ass on an emergency hard flare from getting "dropped".
And more..

Some call it a tuna boat. Doesn't bother me.:ph34r:
It's my sexy canopy.:P

Crossfire2: The openings, riser pressure, toggle pressure, diving ability, glide on rears, flare. It does EVERYTHING good.

If I wanted something less high performance, I loved my Pilot to death.

The words right outta my mouth... Went from a Pilot to a Crossfire and loved them both..

But we're all just a little prejudiced towards our own brand choices, aren't we?? ;)
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

What is a 'ground effect swoop'?

The most significant of these effects is known as the Wing In Ground (WIG) effect, which refers to the reduction in drag experienced by an aircraft as it approaches a height approximately equal to the aircraft's wingspan above ground or other level surface, such as the sea. The effect increases as the wing descends closer to the ground, with the most significant effects occurring at an altitude of one half the wingspan

maybe a lawndart swoop.... :o
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Pilot hands down. Great openings, powerfull flare, very responsive, behaves when deploying flying a wingsuit, gets you back from bad spots. Im sure theres more, but these are just right off the top

Loved my pilot! Flew wonderfully. Opened brilliantly. So far I love my Nitron as well- it opens great and flies fantastic. Gets wonderful forward drive- but is clearly more aggressive than the pilot.

Call me crazy- but when I did training jumps for a friend to get his s/l rating, I was jumping student gear- Cruiselite. I LOVED that thing....
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

Aerodyne Pilot!

I've owned 3 in different sizes, and love them.

Snap.

I'm demoing "other things" at the moment, but I suspect I will also own my current Pilot until it goes to Canopy Heaven. Hopefully that will be many many years hence, though; I can't see a time when it won't be useful.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

+1 :)Also, my good friend is a dealer so I got it at a really, really good price ;)

Before xfire, I jumped Safire2...
dudeist skydiver #42

Katana 135

I love how responsive it is. It could be called "twitchy" by someone not interested in actually flying the canopy, but I like the way it responds to all inputs - fronts, rears, toggles and harness.

It is easy to hold in a dive which means I can start my landing turn higher with an added degree of safety. It is very controllable on the rears but could have more bottom end flare IMO.

FWIW I put one jump on a XF139 to compare and was really disappointed. It felt soggy and unresponsive compared to my Katana. It really felt like a backwards step. I realize that one jump is not a good review, but I was expecting more. YMMV

Cool thread - very interesting to hear people's opinions of their mains.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Right....but ground effect is experienced by all wings. This seemed to be listed as something only the Jedei can do. Also, "wing in ground effect swoops" is just using too many words, hehe.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Velocity - for its relaxing openings, flat glide, and gentle landings.

Really? Thats so neat and cool I now must buy one....perhaps an 84 would be good! LOL ;)
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I still like my Stiletto so well that I haven't
felt moved to try any of these newer canopies.

The way it flies and glides, even the openings,
although it took me about 150 jumps to learn
how to pack it :-) :-)

Skr

I prefer the way a Safire 2 flies but I own a Sabre 2 because I'm learning high performance landings and the Sabre 2 has a longer recovery arc and is therefore a bit safer to learn on. I've flown several sizes of Sabre 2 and Safire 2 (among other canopies) and think the Sabre 2 opens well at higher loadings and, while not as fun to fly (IMO) as the Safire 2, flies really well.