MomDaBomb

Shin splints

I think I got shin splints from landing the other day. Think that's possible? Has it happened to anyone else? It felt like I landed a little harder and faster than normal but I only had to run it out a few steps. Never had them before but man is it uncomfortable!!
3 days later and I'm still feeling it. I wonder what I did wrong.

You may have just strained your shin muscles from the landing trauma. Shin splints tend to be chronic and develop over time from poor shoes, over exercising, running on hard surfaces, bad running form, etc. I would give it a week...if you feel better, its probably not shin splints. I have had several cases of shin splints throughout the years from racing, but, let it be known, I'm not a doctor.:P

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

I agree with you. I've had (and have) shin splints, and as far as I know, they take at least a little time to develop. Not an acute injury.

+1 for me too.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have had shun splints on and off for about 5 years now, no idea why maybe my shins are just shit!
however this is how you fix them or at least it helps a lot.
equipment needed:
1 golf ball.
1 tube of deep heat.
6-18 beers (but that's just an every day thing)
instructions:
put deep heat on you shins and roll the golf ball up and down them while having a beer in front of the TV.

I agree with you. I've had (and have) shin splints, and as far as I know, they take at least a little time to develop. Not an acute injury.

Yeah, I ran quite a bit of XC before I started getting them. Don't think you could develop them in one landing. But if it swells up or still hurts after a few days I'd probably get it looked at.

I have had shun splints on and off for about 5 years now, no idea why maybe my shins are just shit!
however this is how you fix them or at least it helps a lot.
equipment needed:
1 golf ball.
1 tube of deep heat.
6-18 beers (but that's just an every day thing)
instructions:
put deep heat on you shins and roll the golf ball up and down them while having a beer in front of the TV.

Shin splints are related to weak muscles in the ankle or a tight achilles tendon. Shin splints in runners tend to be a transit sort of injury (common to newer runners but decreasing with some experience). If you have had them for 5 years I would be alarmed that either you a) are only treating the symptoms and not the underlying cause or b) have an undiagnosed stress fracture. Doing ankle raises with weights on the end of your feet are a very effective way to combat shin splints.

edited for spelling and grammar.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I think I got shin splints from landing the other day. Think that's possible? Has it happened to anyone else? It felt like I landed a little harder and faster than normal but I only had to run it out a few steps. Never had them before but man is it uncomfortable!!
3 days later and I'm still feeling it. I wonder what I did wrong.

Hi,
Shin splints take time to develop. The classic example being the new jogger who forces it through the increasing pain, for weeks. Until they are finally forced to pack it in due to poor form, shoes, or shins. You probably slightly pulled some muscles on your shins, &/or the fascia. OTC anti-inflammatories, heat (after the first 48hrs), & elevation. Eighteen beers a day is a whole other story... Heal Fast:)