jaffo

We need a permanent "I told you so" Thread in the incident forum

Education (the catch all newbie answer) doesn't work as too few are capable of effectively passing it on, and even less so are capable of absorbing it. Sorry, but the current emergency situation consisting of "hard turn - bounce" ad nauseam requires regulation.

I never thought I'd say that. But I also never thought we'd allow ourselves to spawn a generation of lessor jumpers.

NickD :)

I do believe that in the context of this thread, "young jumpers" doesn't necessarily mean age ... it also means in terms of time in the sport. I didn't start until I was 45.

btw ... nice show of maturity there!! People are trying to discuss ways to get through to those who are hard to reach (a group you certainly appear to be part of), and you come back with that? Disagree with someone ... great!! Express your opinion and reasoning in a clear and concise manner ... also great! That sort of response when someone says something you don't like?? ... FAR from great.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

once again, all young jumpers cannot be lumped into this category as not all young jumpers are incompetent and reject advice

Give it a break, will ya?

Nobody is lumping all young jumpers into any category.

Still, you cannot ignore the fact that most of the landing incidents do not involve "old timers".

Some do, but most don't.

Swoop if you must.

But if you choose to swoop... Be current. Be current on your canopy. Be as conservative as you can. Follow a sensible progression. Be sure that your swooping does not put others in jeopardy.

I'll be sad if you get hurt. But I won't say "I told you so" if you have followed a reasonable course. Because sometimes, shit happens.

Does anyone have the stats on swooping/landing incidents? From what I have seen in the Incidents forum over the last few years (at least for fatalities), the incidents are far more for 1000+ jumpers than newer jumpers.
Of the multiple incidents I have personally seen only 1 was a jumper with less than 1000 jumps.

Also wondering how many incidents there have been of newer jumpers taking out someone else due to flying a wing they were not ready for. The Bob Hollar incident is the one most pointed to but as Kallend pointed out Danny was hardly a newer jumper.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I must be one of those cautious types. Personally, I'd love to read an "I told you so" thread. Back when I was doing AFF, I couldn't help but watch videos of skydives gone bad... shitty AFF jumps, malfunctions, etc. It suited my personality quiet well... because I learned from them.

Of course... I know how to put my ego in check. Some people, just can't do that. "Oh no man, that won't happen to me ever..."
Don't forget to pull!

I do believe that in the context of this thread, "young jumpers" doesn't necessarily mean age ... it also means in terms of time in the sport. I didn't start until I was 45.

btw ... nice show of maturity there!! People are trying to discuss ways to get through to those who are hard to reach (a group you certainly appear to be part of), and you come back with that? Disagree with someone ... great!! Express your opinion and reasoning in a clear and concise manner ... also great! That sort of response when someone says something you don't like?? ... FAR from great.

yea maturity....its a god damn internet forum...fuck everyone that takes this shit seriously and 100 jump wonders that search for wingsuit and camera advice...bottom line, these threads are just a shitload of bickering and dont make any progress anywhere...basically, everyone has their own opinion and is just as wrong as the next guy

fuck everyone that takes this shit seriously and 100 jump wonders that search for wingsuit and camera advice

That's a great attitude you have there - and only 60 jumps to go! ;):)
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I see the future.

Johnny will be GOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE! OHH!:D

Ya know.. it really sucks when we keep getting these tourists who show up... fuck themselves up... make the sport look UBBER Dangerous to the wuffo's and will eventually fuck up everyone because there WILL be all kinds of new mandatory rules and regulations because of a bunch of guys who could not be bothered with learning how to do it right. But by then.. they are off doing some other "eXtReMe" sport.. if they are lucky after they heal.. if not some nurse will be wiping spittle off of their chins as they sit there in their fucking wheelchairs watching "eXtReMe" vidieos on TV or youtube.com of other dumbasses munching themselves at high speed:S:S

PLEASE.... all those with MAD SKILLZ.. get some good HD video... be sure to have your buddies video your cool landing video's on every jump.

COOL CARNAGE VIDEO RAWKS.

the fatalities are not the entire picture.

whuffos are always wrong about the number of fatalities.
jumpers never tell them about the number of injuries though.

the only thing worse than dying is almost dying.
there are a lot of busted up people who weren't flying super-fast canopies, but were flying beyond their abilities.

hooking themselves too low or jumping in bad conditions. there is a lot of ways to bust yourself.

a group last weekend took a canopy course and learned a lot.
i wish those courses had existed when i started.
i think so much of the course that i plan on taking one soon.

It seems clear to me that "I told you so" is not constructive, and therefore the only reason for saying it is the pleasure gained by being right and demonstrating how knowledgeable the person was. i.e. gloating.

This thread seems to be getting your full attention. I do not know you nor do I know how skilled you are at 200 jumps if that is accurate... but DUUUUUUDE [:/]
Your stats
Jumps: 200
Years: 3
Disciplines: Swooping
Freeflying

Container: Infinity
Main: Katana 135 ft² (1.52 lbs/ft²)
Reserve: Optimum Reserve 143 ft² (1.43 lbs/ft²)
AAD: Vigil

As opposed to

Jumps: 582
Years: 4
Disciplines: Freeflying
Swooping
Photographer: Yes

Gear
Container: Voodoo
Main: Crossfire 2 139 ft² (1.55 lbs/ft²)
Reserve: Raven Dash-M
AAD: Cypres

You confused me with this post.

Who is the other person you are comparing me with?
What is the point of this comparison?

The biggest thing that stands out is that the second guy should REALLY get a decent reserve! Those Ravens are dangerous stall machines.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

The biggest thing that stands out is that the second guy should REALLY get a decent reserve! Those Ravens are dangerous stall machines.

Raven-M..... hmmm I stood up my Raven when I blew up my main at a boogie. I landed it in the peas at Mesquite NV 1975' elevation. Mesquite is not my home DZ. Its about canopy piloting skills, you can either fly them when you need to... or you can't.

Those Ravens are dangerous stall machines.

Dude, I can't protect you from being an idiot!!! The raven has more saves than ANY other reserve!!! Learn some history!!!
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

I think you may be in denial.

I know several people who have injured themselves due to stalling a Raven.

It may have "more saves" than any other reserve (if you could post the source of this I would be grateful), but that doesn't mean it is a good reserve. There may be better options - open your mind.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Dude, I used to be YOU!!! NO!!!n Site your sources....lol...dumbass...mine are Cypres...lol

Are you drunk?

Look at what you wrote. It does not make sense.

You obviously have no data. That does somewhat weaken your argument though.

PS - I think you mean "cite".

~ CanuckInUSA

The idea behind "I told you so" I will assume, is so that every person who states" I fly better than a person with a 1000 jumps, and or I am better than the others" could may be just for a second under stand that there are thousands of people that made those same statements that either learned they were wrong or are no longer among us. The OP thinks may be some of those out there saying those thing may just for a moment rethink it if they really knew how many others thought that just before **** happened. I personally think everyone that really think they are above the general rules are just DGIT but that is just me. Have a great day Docpop
Kirk
He's dead Jim