Fruitfly

Massage Therapist At Drop Zone

It's a great idea. Over here in Switzerland, in the last few years, we have seen pro-masseuses at various boogies, and IMO it is a great occasion :
-for skydivers to relax and have a good time
-for the massage therapist to get new customers
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Skydive Dallas has one. I remember seeing one at another DZ too... But I can't remember where!

San Marcos? One of the jumpers there has her table out after jumping sometimes.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Spaceland has one.

Haven't used her, I'm afraid she'll charge by the ton and I'll need a 2nd mortgage...:$:ph34r:

That means I'm out!

Quite a few students have setup their table at the DZ to help pay for skydiving. Overall, though, they have all been recent grads of some sort of massage school and generally sucked at what they did. They didn't have the experience to read a body and actually do good, all they could do is follow a routine they learned in school. Some of them couldn't even do that well.

The best thing ever at a DZ is an old JM of mine that is a Chiropractor. Hard opening? You'd be right as rain after Doc got done with you!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

At Perris there have been a few over the years. Some successful enough to rent team rooms and turn them into reasonably tranquil massage environments similar to what you'd expect at an actual spa facility.

There have been others that have simply set up their table under a tree outdoors.

Like anything at a drop zone, business will depend on the day and overall attendance on property. It always seemed to me the people that set these up did a very nice business; highly appreciated both for quality of service and reasonable prices.

In town a 50 minute massage from Burke Williams Spa (a very nice chain massage facility) is going to cost $120. I believe I was able to get a similar massage for $60 from one of the folks at Perris although it's been a couple of years since I've actually gotten one.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

One of the jumpers at our DZ is a massage therapist and also works manifest and other stuff. She makes a lot of money from the jumpers. A lot of the staff will pay her right with money from doing tandems/videos/etc so she uses it for jumping.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

At Perris there have been a few over the years. Some successful enough to rent team rooms and turn them into reasonably tranquil massage environments similar to what you'd expect at an actual spa facility.

There have been others that have simply set up their table under a tree outdoors.

Like anything at a drop zone, business will depend on the day and overall attendance on property. It always seemed to me the people that set these up did a very nice business; highly appreciated both for quality of service and reasonable prices.

In town a 50 minute massage from Burke Williams Spa (a very nice chain massage facility) is going to cost $120. I believe I was able to get a similar massage for $60 from one of the folks at Perris although it's been a couple of years since I've actually gotten one.

There is a massage therapist school in my town, 20 bucks US for 50 minutes...and they're being 'graded' by an instructor so they tend to give it their all. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There is a massage therapist school in my town, 20 bucks US for 50 minutes...and they're being 'graded' by an instructor so they tend to give it their all. B|

Well, sure. And if you know the right person, you might be able to get one for free occasionally too.

Depending on the drop zone, setting an appropriate price might be a interesting exercise all unto itself.

$20 for 50 minutes seems pretty low though.

There's a place in the mall near my house, not even a spa, just a glass walled and open for the public to see back rub joint, that's charging $7 for a 5 minute "back rub." They seem to do business, but it's a cheap flippin' "back rub" that prices out higher per minute than Burke Williams.

I don't get it, but it must make sense to somebody.
quade -

Well, sure. And if you know the right person, you might be able to get one for free occasionally too.

Depending on the drop zone, setting an appropriate price might be a interesting exercise all unto itself.

$20 for 50 minutes seems pretty low though.

There's a place in the mall near my house, not even a spa, just a glass walled and open for the public to see back rub joint, that's charging $7 for a 5 minute "back rub." They seem to do business, but it's a cheap flippin' "back rub" that prices out higher per minute than Burke Williams.

I don't get it, but it must make sense to somebody.

Nuthin' is 'FREE'! :P

And yes, the 20.00 tag is very 'low'...I think it has something to do with 'licences'.

The spa's in town are in line with what you were quoting.

I think it has something to do with 'licences'.

Varies state by state I think and for some businesses it's just a protection racket. I think in the state of California, it takes something like 1600 hours just to be a "cosmetologist" and work in a beauty salon. That's flippin' retarded.

You can be a commercial pilot for a hell of a lot less.

It's all a scam set up by the schools and massage industry to cut down on competition while making bank for the schools.
quade -

Hey,
Just taking an informal poll to see how skydivers respond to the idea of having a masseuse on hand at the drop zone.

Once upon a time... at a drop zone far far away... :D

There used to be a gal at Cal City that would give massages for 2 jump tickets... a few more for a "happy ending"... ;)B|

Nope, she doesn't charge by the ton:ph34r:, but since she's small, her fingers are small, and boy can she dig in :o.

I have used her, and am glad I did.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey,
Just taking an informal poll to see how skydivers respond to the idea of having a masseuse on hand at the drop zone.

Once upon a time... at a drop zone far far away... :D

There used to be a gal at Cal City that would give massages for 2 jump tickets... a few more for a "happy ending"... ;)B|

Cheaper for a 'Hop & Pop'? :ph34r:

Wow, thanks my friends! I have been a therapist for 15 years and am very good at my job. I want to jump and I want my client base to be comprised of as many jumpers as possible, because you are wonderful people and I admire you, respect you, and am inspired by you. I'd be one lucky therapist to have the opportunity to work this way.

I've been doing some traveling with bike tours these days and am used to charging $1/1min in 15 min units. So $60/hr. I think it's a great price and definitely lower than my private practice fee.

Thanks to all who responded to this! I hope to be at a drop zone soon. :)

It's a great idea. Over here in Switzerland, in the last few years, we have seen pro-masseuses at various boogies, and IMO it is a great occasion :
-for skydivers to relax and have a good time
-for the massage therapist to get new customers

You were in Spain several times, right?

Do you remember the girl in the little wooden house in Empuriabrava? I've seen her several times, she really was good! I'd appreciate such a service at every DZ, if possible.

B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Out at Skydive the Farm we usually have a nice young lady that has a massage table set up upon request. Pretty sure the going price is a buck a min. I think it is a great idea and never heard any complaints.
Team Dirty Sanchez #455,
Muff Brother #4197,
SCR #14847, DPH -8,
Dude #5150

Missed this thread when it was originally posted ... I think you'll find good business at a boogie. There's always a massage therapist at the Lost Prairie Boogie - she sets up a tent so that there's a little bit of privacy (not to mention relief from the sun). She seems to do pretty well. I think she does both table massage and chair massage.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

...I'm excited to say that I'll be offering massage at the Work Stinks Boogie 2010...

Your best bet would probably be to follow the Boogie Circuit throughout the summer. Massage business at most regular DZs will probably drop off after a few weeks, when the novelty has worn off. At boogies, there are tons of people who have planned on spending their money on things like this.

Kevin K.