theplummeter

Batwing vs. Pilot

I haven't jumped either and I can tell you they are apples and oranges, before even getting into the wingloading difference.

The Batwing is a Stiletto copy. Highly elliptical, short recovery arc, turns fast, opens squirelly, and unlike Stilettos, doesn't land all that well.

The Pilot is a modern tapered 9 cell. Longer recovery arc, nicer openings and easy landings, and yet it's still fun for more experienced pilots.

I've never heard anybody who's jumped one recommend a Batwing at any wingloading to anybody with 20 jumps. I'd recommend a Pilot at 1.1 or less to anyone capable of landing a student canopy without hurting themselves.

The batwing is a high performance canopy, very Stilleto-esc. You should not be jumping one at all for a few hundred more jumps. Even then, its an old design and you'll probably be more happy with something else. The pilot is a good choice, assuming that it is large enough to put you at a 1:1 wingloading (or a little less).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The Pilot would be just under 1/1. I've made some jumps on the Batwing and been lucky but have decided to upsize.

I found a great deal on a Pilot 188 but would need to find a harness/container.

Also while on the topic has anyone here jumped the Fusion? It seems like that would be a good canopy also, as long as it was loaded lightly.

I just wanted to add that I'm thankful to everyone here for their experience and advice. The Batwing is a blast and the temptation to keep jumping it is there, but having studied past incidents and looking at real statistics the conclusion is obvious:
I'm in over my head and won't really understand that until it hurts. I don't want to hurt.

Am I the only one wondering that with your jump numbers, who the hell would let you jump a Batwing???

Congrats on your decision not to get one at your level of experience.
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

The fusion is okay-ish for a first canopy, but it's a good deal more responsive than a pilot, more like a sabre2.

I just demo'd both the Sabre 2 190 and a pilot 188. I bought the Pilot. I actually thought it was a bit more responsive and really forgiving on landings. As I've gotten older I don't heal as well so I want softer landings.
Ryder
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

Am I the only one wondering that with your jump numbers, who the hell would let you jump a Batwing???

Congrats on your decision not to get one at your level of experience.

The reality is that not all DZ's actually give a shit about their students to the degree a lot of people would like, which I can attest to personally.

but it's a good deal more responsive than a pilot, more like a sabre2.

Huh? You've got that backwards. I have many jumps on the Sabre 2 and Pilot. The Pilot is far more responsive than the Sabre 2 at the equal sizing.

I really don't think so. Especially for wingsuiting, my pilot behaves much better on/after opening than a fusion or sabre 2: less responsive on harness turns, less divey, feels more stable/solid all in all. The pilot 124 feels a bit "boring" compared to a fusion 120/sabre2 120, which I like sometimes :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia