CHRCNF

Talking about skydiving w/ non-skydivers.

I've been skydiving for only a few months now (w/ A license).

I've noticed that it's very difficult to discuss skydiving with friends and family that don't jump.

Now that the novelty's wearing off I'm not incessantly talking about skydiving. But on the occasion when it does come up in conversation, I have found it to almost be a waste of time to try and explain anything.

I guess I'll just leave skydiving matters at the dropzone. : )

Ive somewhat noticed the same thing. They will ask about skydiving and then I start explaining a few jumps ive done and use terms like tracking and docking and get the deer in the headlights look. Then explain all of that and they still have the same look so I end up just changing the subject.

It generally only takes me a few moments to realize that the conversation has gone one-way.

Sometimes I keep on going with it because I love talking about skydiving, especially in drab and boring places like work.

Hell, I'll talk about jumping with a frigging stump. Easily my second most favorite subject and there's pretty much nothing new to be said about the first.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

i learned long ago that if the subject comes up..... to take a low key and almost self-deprecating attitude about it... I try to let others ask the questions, then answer them the best i can, WITHOUT sounding like a condescending jerk....

Just yesterday at a LAbor DAy Picnic the subject came up about wingsuit terrain skimming, as seen on the various internet video sites....
I pointed out, that these are skilled jumpers, who have progressed along a specific and sometimes tedious path to get to that point,,,,,,, and NOT someone who "simply found a suit, and a mountain," and then jumped off it..
I equate it to a high performance race car driver,, who does not simply Get INTO an Indy car, and takes off...

Non jumpers will appreciate a realistic explanation without all the "Rah RAh Rah,, I am a hero " sorta stuff...which can easily make some non jumpers feel..intimidated
It reflects better on the sport in general, and it's participants if the jumper is a bit reserved ,, and not all
" You gotta try it!!!"... or " i do it , so that makes me cooler than you".... comments..

Rather, i try to point out that jumpers,, ( most of them anyway) are smart, deliberate, and studious, about their chosen hobby,,, and not some type of crazy person,, just out there looking for "excitement"...
Since the whuffos of the world really have no idea of what draws people to become part of such a hobby, better to leave them with a positive impression, than to blow smoke up their asses.. with tales of grandeur and heroics,,,,
THOSE stories belong ON the DZ around the bonfire, while enjoying a cold beverage of choice!!!! with fellow skydivers....

jmy
A 3914
D 12122

To me, it makes sense. It I try to explain to my boyfriend that I'm frustrated by my back-sliding on RW's, it's reasonable for him to not understand. Unless you've been up there, it's hard to describe why some things are trickier, what goes into a jump, etc.

On the same token, if someone was trying to explain snowboarding to me, and how they're trying to figure out some new trick, I would not get it. I would probably just end up staring at them, they would get frustrated trying to explain why the angle of their knees is so important (or some such thing), and they'd stop talking.

Face it: talking about skydiving is boring to non-skydivers. They don't care how a seven cell flies compared to a nine cell. They don't care that you just learned to sit. They don't have a frame of reference, so there's no way for them to gauge how important something is.

I usually answer questions in a very limited-capacity (i.e. "I'm working on improving my skills when I'm flying with other people. It can be tricky to get into formations and stay that way") rather than boring them with details. Then I ask them about their hobbies (and try not to zone out ;) )

To me, it makes sense. It I try to explain to my boyfriend that I'm frustrated by my back-sliding on RW's, it's reasonable for him to not understand.

A lot of sports use a medium to travel through.
Water skiing - you lean in a direction and you travel through the water that way.

Your body is like a big surf board of the air.
That is the way I explain turns.

If what you got was a "deer in the headlight stare", indifference, or a bored look...well, it could be worse.

Have any of you ever gotten a hostile reaction?

I recall years ago, when I mentioned this "sport" - some personality types reacted with genuine hostility.

One said ..."oh, that is so STUPID"...then,this person I was conversing with actually went into character, and adopting something like an absurd clown face - with a voice to match, mimicked his impression of jumping out of a plane, illustrating his point saying: "I pull this little handle and a cloth thing comes out..."
"REALLY STUPID!"

I sized this person up pretty quickly,....he was really just reacting very defensively to the whole notion that some people are actually different from him and therefore approach life a little differently.

In another conversation I recall discussing how skydiving has an organization and a progression, and there are experienced skydivers that have literally thousands of jumps, and there are actually achievements for the number of jumps and hours of freefall,...and badges for same...
This person responded, in a mocking tone....what does the badge say..."I am a fool?"

Some people get very defensive when expressing their negative opinion about this activity...and by the tone of their response, actually seem to have a lot invested in the decisions they have made with respect to how they approach their own life.

Based on the attitude I experienced, they seem to feel challenged or threatened by any semblance of skydiving being a "sport"....and, in fact, being anything but the activity of lunatics.

Based on the attitude I experienced, they seem to feel challenged or threatened by any semblance of skydiving being a "sport"....and, in fact, being anything but the activity of lunatics.

They could be right. ;)

However, their sanity probably isn't working for them.
Perhaps a little insanity would brighten their day. :D

Thats interesting while I am very new to the sport I have been talking about it nonstop for the last 6 or 7 years after I did my first tandem and I haven't heard a really negative reaction like that. People like that kinda bug me actually. If you have an issue like that with something someone does then don't be a part of it.

I've had a mix of reactions. When I taught high school and the word spread that I had done a tandem....I had at least one student do two tandems (she vomitted on the first) and a couple of other students went from 0.0's to 4.0's in my classes, each of them begging me to take them next time (I said I would after they graduated).

Adults tend to react in one of the following ways: "you are crazy!" "you are tempting God!" "you are suicidal (gotten that one twice)" "you are stupid" "wow you are brave." Many people get all excited and SAY they want to go, yet most are busy that day for some reason.

A supervisor who often spoke of his absolute amazingness in all areas had been a paratrooper in Vietnam with a grand total of 5 jumps. He was quick to point out that "only two things fall from the air: bird shit and fools." I SHOULD have replied that only one kind of person smokes cigarettes......but decided to hold my tongue.

I do think that being a skydiver intimidates certain people.....I have no understanding why but it does seem so. Other people seem to think that we "have no fear whatsoever" about anything....although there are many things I am afraid of and I never hesitate to point those out.

I wouldn't recommend letting others know you are a jumper but if it comes up and you get asked about it, just say something like "ya I'm crazy" and let it go....you can try to explain WHY you jump but most just don't/can't get it.

There is a discussion I started after reading this thread about "talking friends into a jump"---the replies were pretty good.

S&S

Talking to non-skydivers is even tougher when you are injured as a result of skydiving. That is one of the worst things about it too- you can't hide that you got hurt skydiving and all of the whuffos are going to judge you for it and make disrespectful remarks. It drives me crazy~ >:(

My argument is that it doesn't matter HOW you got hurt. If I blew out my knee playing soccer it's ok, but it's not ok when I did it on a landing? So when people have been asking me, "How did you do it (injure your knee)?", I respond, "Does it matter?"

http://3ringnecklace.com/

Talking to non-skydivers is even tougher when you are injured as a result of skydiving. That is one of the worst things about it too- you can't hide that you got hurt skydiving and all of the whuffos are going to judge you for it and make disrespectful remarks. It drives me crazy~ >:(

My argument is that it doesn't matter HOW you got hurt. If I blew out my knee playing soccer it's ok, but it's not ok when I did it on a landing? So when people have been asking me, "How did you do it (injure your knee)?", I respond, "Does it matter?"

I've known a couple jumpers who fib about it - "I tripped on the stairs", etc. - just to avoid the usual bullshit.

If I blew out my knee playing soccer it's ok, but it's not ok when I did it on a landing? So when people have been asking me, "How did you do it (injure your knee)?", I respond, "Does it matter?"

I think the logic is that you can get injured while playing soccer, football, or whatever and you aren't likely to have death be a close second resultant.

It's sketchy logic, to me. But, I do understand. About all the exposure people get that involve skydiving is either in a movie or when they see news reports of deaths related to skydiving.

I had to deal with some shit talk when I sprained my ankle after a great landing. People kept telling me that's proof enough I could get killed and I need to stop. Oh, really? I could have done the same going grocery shopping.

Or, after 2 malfunctions and an unstable PC throw. These were nothing major, but my whuffo friends don't understand and tell me that I'm destined to die. But, I can respect their view. In their mind, they see me tumbling around in the air at high speed only a hundred feet above the ground.
Don't forget to pull!

We should ban together and embrace minor skydiving injuries. If we can jump out of an airplane, have a hell of a time, and then maybe suffer a break or even take a hard fall just a hand full of times, then it's worth it. Though I guess there will always be those people who don't "get it."

my whuffo friends don't understand and tell me that I'm destined to die

that always amuses me. everybody is destined to die. it's just a question of how much you live in between.

Well, the thing is... at least in the Western world, people live day to day with an unconscious belief that they have an immortal soul and they they can live a risk-free and happy life. Personally, I don't believe I have an immortal soul. When I die, that's it. Poof... I'm gone. But, that's an off topic subject.

But, related to the topic at hand... one cannot live a risk-free life and be happy. The only rewards that exist are ones that are earned after taking a risk. And, the types and amounts of rewards that make a person happy depend upon each person's chemical make up in the brain. The thing is... some people don't see the relationship between rewards and the desire to survive to seek the same reward again. For the most part, people will take reward seeking behaviors only so far as to guarantee that they will live long enough to do it again. I'll throw myself out of a plane and that is inherently dangerous. However, I will only take it so far as to allow me to do it again.
Don't forget to pull!

I think the logic is that you can get injured while playing soccer, football, or whatever and you aren't likely to have death be a close second resultant.

It's sketchy logic, to me. But, I do understand. About all the exposure people get that involve skydiving is either in a movie or when they see news reports of deaths related to skydiving.

I am not sure what is sketchy about it. Skydiving has a far, far higher death rate than any of my other hobbies. Yes people die flyfishing (usually when they overfill their waders and drown) and running (usually from undiagnosed cardiac conditions) but those activities don't come close to the rate of skydiving. I choose to jump anyway because the reward is worth the risk to me. I don't bury my head in the sand that death is a very real part of this sport.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I am not sure what is sketchy about it.

Well, the logic is there. Unlike track & field or soccer, the risk the for death in skydiving is very real. On every single jump we do, we see death right below us. I know that I do. Why else would I be nervous 30 seconds before exiting? However, it's blown out of proportion... and understandably so. Most people don't understand why we'd choose a hobby that exposes us to the possibility of death on every jump and then keep doing it. To rationalize it, they call us "idiots" or say that we're "crazy." And, because we're "crazy idiots," we're going to kill ourselves.

But, as I say... one day, there will be no tomorrow. And, my life will flash before my eyes. It better be worth watching.
Don't forget to pull!

When talking about skydiving with my friends (or random people on the bus or whatever) I try to describe it in ways anyone can understand. I speak about the awesome view, the peacefulness under a braked canopy, the spectacular sunset jumps and the great friendly atmosphere on the drop zone, how you track with "the body position ski jumpers use", etc.
I've found that I have a knack for explaining things so that regular people can understand them, I just put myself in their position. Most people respond positively (whether they're interested in trying it or not), though I have a couple of friends who can't help but worry. Just their personality I guess.

I was just on the phone with this new girl I met and once again the topic of skydiving came up...she mentioned it this time. I guess it's just so unusual people can't help but mention it. Doubtless I am the only skydiver she knows and likely the only one she's ever spoken to.

I ended up saying that "skydivers are born. Although anyone could do it, it's that special person that sees it and says 'I wanna do that.' Most everyone else sees it and thinks 'it's crazy.' Maybe those are the smart ones. Maybe not."

I did tell her that I've had an uneventful skydiving experience so far....the two line twists were easy to fix, the one time I hit my elbow on the landing gear I didn't feel it till hours later and that was slight, my one scuffed elbow and dirty pants from a bad landing were minor things. I've done some REALLY dangerous and dumb things in my life, totally unrelated to skydiving. The closest I ever came to death though was when I was alone in an office, long after hours, and nearly choked to death on a piece of Big Mac. I honestly thought my number was up that time!

Doing anything can get you killed, including doing nothing. *Murphy's Law

S&S

I was just on the phone with this new girl I met and once again the topic of skydiving came up...she mentioned it this time.

This is a topic I'm fairly curious about. In my experience, I've noticed that a large majority of the outside attention I receive about skydiving comes from women. Generally, men are like "oh that's cool I want to do that some day" or "man you're crazy" and end it there. But women... sometimes they just want to talk to me to death about it. Or I'll post things on Facebook and if I get any "likes" or comments, it's usually from a woman.

Why? Is it the "bad boy" thing? Why do the guys seem to shut down?
Don't forget to pull!

Talking to non-skydivers is even tougher when you are injured as a result of skydiving...My argument is that it doesn't matter HOW you got hurt. If I blew out my knee playing soccer it's ok, but it's not ok when I did it on a landing?...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

1975: Broke ankle playing baseball in high school.

1982: Broke other ankle on first jump.

Same doctor treated me both times, said I shouldn't be jumping out of airplanes. I asked why didn't he tell me to give up baseball?

No answer.

Cheers,
Jon S.