fcajump

Shoulder issues...?

Ok, been jumping for a while (20 years).

Currently dealing with an enlarged A/C joint (shoulder) which is impinging on the muscles/tendons of the rotator cuff. The doc is talking about trimming the ends of the bones to open up the joint a bit.

Has anyone had this procedure?
Any impact on mobility/strength of the joint (as needed for jumping)?

Any Sports/Othopods out there that can comment on this? (feel free to PM)

Thanks,
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=randompoints;

User randompoints has had both shoulders worked on. Not sure what procedure but after the first one he made a great recovery. He just had the 2nd one done this off season and says hes doing great. PM him and he can give you more info.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I have not had your same procedure, but I did have surgery to tighten the tendons/ligaments of my right shoulder after multiple dislocations. I would say it was one of the best things I have ever done, sort of like jumping a super loose harness and then going to one that fits you properly. Everything is tighter, and snug. My left shoulder is separated also, so I am currently working on strengthening it. Talk to your docs, and get other opinions of sports doctors and the like. They should be able to tell you what impact it will have on flexibility, etc. They told me that I would have a reduction in the movement used by pitchers to wind up for a pitch, but honestly it is still the same so I couldn't ask for any better.
Best of luck with your injury, I wish I had more specific info.

Currently dealing with an enlarged A/C joint (shoulder) which is impinging on the muscles/tendons of the rotator cuff. The doc is talking about trimming the ends of the bones to open up the joint a bit.

Has anyone had this procedure?
Any impact on mobility/strength of the joint (as needed for jumping)?

JW

If its the same one I had (twice) its called a Mumford procedure.

I separated the AC (acromio-clavicular) joint in a fall.
After a while the bones were impinging. Much grinding audible popping sounds when I raised my arm. Lots of pain.
Bone spurs developed months down the road.

The solution was called a Mumford procedure in which they cut off the end of my clavicle so that there could be no contact between the clavicle and acromion process.

This solved the problem and caused me no long term issues. I do everything from martial arts to skydiving and heavy weight lifting without any problems.
Currently I can bench press 350 lbs so this doesn't seem to affect your ability to manage large amounts of weight or build muscle.

My ortho at the time recommended strength training saying that it would help to stabilize the joint.

The only downside is that it aches a bit when the weather changes, but this is common and only an annoyance.

edited to add - In point of fact, while doing mat work (Jujitsu) its harder for someone to force a submission because my right shoulder is more mobile than normal :)
__

My mighty steed

For those facing the specific issue I had...

Turns out I had an A/C Joint impinging on the soft tissue (as we thought).

There was NO soft tissue damage found (rotator cuff or otherwise) during the arthroscopic surgery to shave down the bone growth.

Doctor cleared me to PT immediately.
Cleared me to jump "when I felt that I had the range and strength"

Jumped again 4 weeks after with less pain than before, and its been getting better since then.

He did comment that IF there had been any soft tissue damage, there would have been a 6 week recovery before PT or anything else.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

There was NO soft tissue damage found (rotator cuff or otherwise) during the arthroscopic surgery to shave down the bone growth.

Doctor cleared me to PT immediately.
Cleared me to jump "when I felt that I had the range and strength"

Jumped again 4 weeks after with less pain than before, and its been getting better since then.

He did comment that IF there had been any soft tissue damage, there would have been a 6 week recovery before PT or anything else.

Congrats. You had what my dad had. Easy recovery.B|

I had the torn rotator cuff 11 months ago. Still doing rehab.[:/]
7 months with no jumping.[:/]