skydiverkeith

What's your hard deck?

What's your target altitude for being under a fully inflated main canopy or your target altitude for initiating emergency procedures, whichever is lower.

Include which of these you use on an average jump.

RSL?
MARD?
AAD?
Wingsuit?

This poll isn't for meant for tandem jumps or CReW issues.

Mine is 1800 using an RSL, AAD, and Wingsuit.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

no RSL etc

should say its dependent on the mal really. if im spinning on my back ill chop immediately but if theres a chance of a problem to be fixed then Ill try before chopping
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

I either commit to fix it or decide to chop. Yes i've spent more than a few seconds with line twists. I'm just saying that I don't really have a set altitude to go by. Almost never been low.

edit to add: only chopped once. Decison was made 2.5 seconds after "opening".

No RSL

Since I'm new, 2,500 feet. I deploy at 4,500 feet right now. A while back I almost hit my hard deck and came close to cutting away. A new packer packed the rig I was using. The left toggle released upon deployment and I spun into a line twist. The twist cleared itself but then I started to spinal towards the ground. I figured out the problem and fixed it @ 3,000 feet. Had few extra seconds passed, I would have chopped.
Don't forget to pull!

in the 90's, jumping an F111 9 cell.. I thought nothing of a throwning at 2k. that was with an RSL. AAD? ha!, at that time, a very pricey option.

FFD to today, Sabre2, AAD and Cypress; pull by 3k, there is about 1k of snivil (~), so I'm open by 2k and have time to deal with any malf.

I would try to be open you 2,000 ft. When I deploy I look up and if I can land it I do. If I don’t think I can land it, it is history. I don’t do rigging in the air. In almost every case a malfunctioning square parachute will do nothing but get worse.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have an RSL and a AAD. My personal hard deck is below 1500. With that said, if it's hopeless, I chop much earlier.

I'll cut away at 1000 feet if I have to (it's worked before ;) but if I cutaway below 1500 I'm defiantly gonna have a little talk with myself.