Dodatt

It's time we noticed a major problem in skydiving that can no longer afford to go unnoticed

I believe several DZOs got tired of them running into the props and even more jumpers tired of them tearing up gear or shitting everywhere because their owners thought the DZ offered free puppy care while they jumped.

Agreed. I like puppies, but not at the dz. Too many people don't clean up after their dogs.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Good training is key, I've seen other dogs tip toe around lines before including Phreezone's dog and I believe she is still fairly young. Since he does a lot of rigging at home though she has been well trained. The problem is EVERYONE thinks their dog is well behaved, when in most cases its not true. Even if they are well trained at home they might behave different when they are exposed to so many strangers at once when taken to the DZ.

Same can be said for kids. I have seen 12 year olds trip on people's lines running through the hanger but i have also seen kids 2 and 3 stepping over, around, between the lines and also doubling as packing weight.

I do have to admit, it is quite funny to see a dog stepping between linesets ;)

I have a bulldog so she overheats really easily so in the summer months she just stays home with my other dog a muti poo yorkie aka rat. I would never bring that dog to the dz. I tried to teach the bulldog about lines but it just would not take. I have had her sit on my rig and act as a packing weight though.... at the house that is. :P
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

B|
Dude, In the long run it will be worth it, for many reasons…haven’t you ever seen hotchi or lassie or I can go on all day man…….I’m more talking about the faithful DZ more so than visitors but we’re sky people we can handle a little poo every now and then…it‘s proven …but really just imagine for a second the fulfilling exiting just awesome life of a faithful DZ dog…..ever observe one.? Try to get an idea of what their thinking?….besides once again resent medical studies prove that having a dog around reduces stress and prolongs life encourages good health and all that.

:)B|;):):ph34r:

Our DZ has no rules about dogs They can and do run free and they leave land mines everywhere. We were counting last weekend and we think the number of dogs have increased by 40%.

None of them belong to the DZO.

Ok:)thank you everyone...Great JobB|

My favourite DZ dog story happened in Raeford. In 1995, we travelled down from Canada for the long weekend in September for the Diamond Quest jumps.

There was about 12 of us and most of us were CDN military. We secured 4 sections of modular tent and set them up in the pines.

Just as we finished, this dog came walking in. Someone said "I wonder what his name is?" at which time he promptly laid down and started licking his balls.

For the rest of the weekend, everyone on the DZ would ask why we kept calling that dog "Lucky"!!!

we can handle a little poo every now and then…it‘s proven

We can handle a slap in the face every now and then, too, but that doesn't mean that we should accept it.

but really just imagine for a second the fulfilling exiting just awesome life of a faithful DZ dog…..ever observe one.?

You seem to be labouring on the mistaken premise that because you like dogs and think they should accompany you everywhere, that this is good for everyone.

My home dropzone does have their own dog and allows visitors to bring dogs. For the most part they are well behaved and their owners clean up after them, so it's not a big deal, but it certainly does nothing to enrich my dropzone experience. I don't mind dogs and even enjoy playing with them once in a while, but they are certainly not necessary at the DZ and they do need to be kept in check and cleaned up after.

Our DZ has no rules about dogs They can and do run free and they leave land mines everywhere.

If I'm at the DZ and I see your dog leaving "land mines" that are not cleaned up, we will be having words. I don't expect the dog to necessarily understand and follow normal etiquette, but as the owner who brought him, I do expect you to take responsibility for him/her and any mess he/she creates.

Many years ago a guy pulled into Tecumseh MI with a German sheperd in the right seat of his Corvette convertible.We were packing on the other side of the wooden fence. He let his dog wander on our side sniiffing. I suggested he bring his dog over to the woods a short distance away where the fire pit is now. He replied "A dog has to do what a dog has to do". I replied you were warned. as the dog did a load. The guy walked to the manifest only to come back to a big surprise in his seat. He got mad when 9 of said jumpers got to do what a jumpers got to do. does spinning your tires mean your mad?

My grandmother's neighbor would walk their dog in her yard. For a while I cleaned it up when I mowed and figured they'd stop, but it continued. Finally after stepping in it that last time, I collected what was there and left a good sized pile on their front porch. Never happened again.

We have a small pack of dogs that run around my DZ. The DZO has 2, the rigger has one, the rigger's assistant has one, one of our AFF-Is has 2, the girl in the office brings hers occasionally, etc. For the most part, they're not bad, and we have the doggie poo bag dispensers placed out in the spectator area to remind people, and for the most part, they handle it pretty well.

This weekend, during our boogie, however, the policy was "Dogs tied out or put up."

I was at the DZ yesterday, guy comes in with a dog, suddenly there's the typical "Awww!" and "Oh, man!" and I look and the dog left a steamy sloppy one right on the carpet at the edge of the hangar entrance.

The worst is the landing area: the dogs roam out there beyond the beer line whereas the spectators (and owners) read the signs and do not. Their dog does his business out there, and they don't bother to clean it up. After all, the sign says to stay out of the landing area.

And then you're landing and *squish* you step on a fresh dog turd. The worst is when you don't notice until you've traipsed across 1/2 of the hangar...

I'm all for well-mannered and trained dogs at the DZ. I don't even mind when the DZO's little Jack Russell puppy comes up and sticks her cold nose in my ear while I'm packing (she's just way too friggin' cute to be cross with) then licks my face.

But dogs that start fights, dogs that crap all over, or dogs that can't be trained to follow the "rules", they need to not come to the DZ.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19