Dodatt

It's time we noticed a major problem in skydiving that can no longer afford to go unnoticed

It's time we noticed a major problem in skydiving that can no longer afford to go unnoticed

Yes....the fading away of the DZ dog yes my sky brothers and sisters to visit so many drops zones with no DZ dog is troubleing.
For the Love of God get a Puppy.....I can't bare to see a DZ without a loyal DZ dog making sure everything fly's smooth.

that being said blue sky forever :S

I believe several DZOs got tired of them running into the props and even more jumpers tired of them tearing up gear or shitting everywhere because their owners thought the DZ offered free puppy care while they jumped.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

We often have one or two. :)
They need to be supervised, well behaved and cleaned up after. The dogs are often better visitors than the kids (although kids are welcome too, with the same conditions).

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I believe several DZOs got tired of them running into the props and even more jumpers tired of them tearing up gear or shitting everywhere because their owners thought the DZ offered free puppy care while they jumped.

I believe he's talking about a DROPZONE dog, not a visitors dog. I would think a dog living on a DZ would be taught how to behave appropriately around the place. If not it's the owners fault not the dog.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

The little one is mine, the big white one belongs to a good friend. It's a club DZ, and they are the two "regular" DZ dogs.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I vote to keep 'em home. I came to jump, not to have dogs running loose, barking and sniffing people up as they instinctively do.

I do like dogs and kitties, but the dz cats don't get in the way and I haven't yet seen one that will get even close to a plane.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

...yep
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Last weekend, a girl was walking a dog on a leash through the packing hangar. The dog paused for a moment, lifted his leg and peed on a canopy.
I like dogs, but they don't need to be anywhere near canopies, even if you're just passing through the area for a minute!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Amen to THAT!!>:(
did you notice what followed???

was the 'girl' a jumper?
or a whuffo?
any idea of the canopy owners response???

if a dog is unleashed..
chances of such a mishap are greater..
If ON a leash....
then the blame goes 50 / 50 ... for the animal at One end of the leash.... and for the person at the other end...

edited to add an anecdote....:)
One of the club members had dog, who would stay leashed in the shade,,not far from where i'd set up my van, for videos..and for keeping my gear handy... Every once in a while He would start barking...
well the dogs'.. name was Jimmy.....:o..
so you KNOW it was a nice dog.....;)B|:)but the barking sometimes became annoying.. I never said anything....( i'm always happy on a dz...:P)
but often.. someone else,, would open the door from Manifest,,, or the dogs owner would come along,, and they would Look in my direction,, and address the dog..
" SHUT UP Jimmy!!!!!"
or "knock it OFF Jimmy!!!!"
real LOUD!!!!
hahaha i was kinda shocked and puzzled,,, and
it took me a while to figure it out,, but THAT is how i learned the dogs name!>>>>
i was starting to get a complex about it.. when someone explained things to me..
:o:DB|
The owners' name was Marty, and so i teased that i was gonna get a Monkey !!!! and Name it Marty!!!

now.. back to soggy canopies...
jimmytavino

It was a young girl who was watching a dog for a jumper. I know the main packer had a talk with the owner and I assume also the girl, but I wasn't there to witness it. I just know the story because my pack job was delayed by the packer handling the "incident", as she put it (which I was totally fine with).
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

There is also a sign at SDH manifest stating (close as I can remember, at least) ...

Dogs welcome. Children must be on a leash.

My personal experience after 10 years around dzs is that overall, dogs cause fewer problems than kids. Most jumpers seem to have their dogs trained to be safe around gear. The one time I've seen a gear/dog problem is was a visitor's dog.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I have a friend who has been to Skydive Iowa but won't jump there anymore because of the dogs.

He said the last time he was there he counted 11 dogs running around and none of them were on leashes. He said people would yell at them but the dogs just ignored them.

They evidently have a drainage ditch nearby where several of the dogs get wet and muddy and then come near people and rub against them and shake the excess water off.

He watched the airplane have to stop taxiing suddenly because a dog was running around it barking at it because the dog's owner was on the plane.

Yikes................

I love dogs but I would never take mine to a drop zone.

The real question is did the dog live?>:(

A DZ dog that lives there and know the rules is one thing. Everyone else should leave them at home.

I like dogs, but I hate dog shit. Why man ever domesticated them I'll never know.:S:S I guess the food out weighed having to wipe their feet off. Of course skin is eaiser to clean than tennis shoe soles.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The real question is did the dog live?>:(

A DZ dog that lives there and know the rules is one thing. Everyone else should leave them at home.

I like dogs, but I hate dog shit. Why man ever domesticated them I'll never know.:S:S I guess the food out weighed having to wipe their feet off. Of course skin is eaiser to clean than tennis shoe soles.

An instructor at my dz has a dog named Icarus and I have never seen anyhting like this dog. He tells Icarus "canopies" or "parachutes" and the dogs stay away and if they do happen to come over the gogs literally tip toe between lines. It is pretty impressive.

My dog comes sometimes but I will have her leashed or crated if I am in the air.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Good training is key, I've seen other dogs tip toe around lines before including Phreezone's dog and I believe she is still fairly young. Since he does a lot of rigging at home though she has been well trained. The problem is EVERYONE thinks their dog is well behaved, when in most cases its not true. Even if they are well trained at home they might behave different when they are exposed to so many strangers at once when taken to the DZ.

Same can be said for kids. I have seen 12 year olds trip on people's lines running through the hanger but i have also seen kids 2 and 3 stepping over, around, between the lines and also doubling as packing weight.

I do have to admit, it is quite funny to see a dog stepping between linesets ;)

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

My dog Velocity was a puppy (approximately 6 mos.) when she showed up at the DZ as a stray. After not being able to find the owner (my DZ is in the middle of nowhere, and turns out the vet believes she is part Coyote) I decided to adopt her. She has since become expected to be at the airport and is missed (probably more than me) when she is not.

While at the DZ, when the plane is out of the hangar, she is either tied out or in the trailer. As soon as the beer light comes on, then she is free to run and play.

One thing I am thankful for, is the fact that she seems to be shy when she potties and finds places in tall grass or crops to go.

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

Our DZ has no rules about dogs They can and do run free and they leave land mines everywhere. We were counting last weekend and we think the number of dogs have increased by 40%.

None of them belong to the DZO.

It's only a matter of time before we have a prop strike. There have been two go arounds this year already due to dogs on the runway.

The owners all assume that everyone loves their dog sniffing around them and leaving little surprises all over.

The owners also get all bent out of shape when you don't remember who's dog is who's or their names.

I caught one pissing in the class (tandem waiver) room last weekend.

I've always owned dogs but I don't think I have the right to make everyone else be exposed to them.

My dogs stay home.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.