TSISK

What to jump In

I got my A license and two jumps later I was at a new drop zone (Z-Hills) where I borrowed a "student jumpsuit" and rented a student rig. My takeaway was don't ever use a student rig or student jumpsuit unless you absolutely have to. Everyone on the load will think you are and treat you like you are a student.

Until I got my jumpsuit I jumped in Northface nylon pants and a Northface pull-over. I did make the mistake once of trying to squeeze in a quick jump on the way home from work without my wife knowing. I forgot my standard jump clothes so I ended up jumping in a button down shirt. I will admit that I looked stylish standing in the waiting area waiting to board the plane but once in freefall the plan, actually the shirt, fell apart. Every button on my shirt got ripped off. Oh, and my wife figured out that I got in a quick jump on the way home when I asked her if she could sew a button or two (actually seven) on my shirt that night. Making a bad situation worse, I was late for dinner.
My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.

I did make the mistake once of trying to squeeze in a quick jump on the way home from work without my wife knowing. I forgot my standard jump clothes so I ended up jumping in a button down shirt. I will admit that I looked stylish standing in the waiting area waiting to board the plane but once in freefall the plan, actually the shirt, fell apart. Every button on my shirt got ripped off. Oh, and my wife figured out that I got in a quick jump on the way home when I asked her if she could sew a button or two (actually seven) on my shirt that night. Making a bad situation worse, I was late for dinner.

That is a classic, Great story, I will learn from your mistakes

My friend DZ Dave (aka "Gump") jumps in an orange DOC jumpsuit. Avoid the fucking fashion statement, just wear the ugliest thing you can find!
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

i'm not going to give you advice but i'll tell you what worked for me.

i usually jump in a pair of jeans and a t shirt or long sleeve t shirt. when it is cold or i need to slow down i wear a jacket.

i took a regular jacket (with a tight elastic waistband) that has velcro bands around the wrist, sewed the pockets shut, and put a patch on it. it was a really cheap way to make a good freefly-like jacket.

a suit will give you more power in the air, it makes it easier for you to move around.

no suit at first, for me, has made me more aware of my body position. you really have to work at it a little more without the extra drag.

shorts suck if you need to slide in a landing, friction burn hurts like hell especially when it is full of grass/dirt.

if everyone else on the jump is wearing a jumpsuit, you need to as well. if it is a casual jump in jeans and a t shirt then just go with it.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

well come to find out square 2 had a jumpsuit to lend me when i rented my rig. Met a couple real nice people the weekend before when i got my A license and i left there Saturday with a couple of jumpsuits, a Tony suit and an older suit. Buying beer when you get your "A" really pays off. I also found out that a mirage g4 is waaaay mor comfy than a student rig