TSISK

What to jump In

I just got my A and headed out to do some jumps on Sat or Sunday. My question is... Ive been wearing a student jumpsuit up until now. I havent purchased a jump suit yet and im not sure what to jump in. Is Shorts and tshirt acceptable. I know jumpsuits help control fall rate and im getting one but havent yet. Thanks for any advise

I'm still basically a newbie, so take that into consideration.

I think you can pretty much jump in anything you want.

A jumpsuit is very good and important when flying with others. Perhaps you can arrange to borrow one from an experienced jumper or the drop zone if you are going to be doing RW.

I just got a set of moto-X pants to wear if I am doing a hop and pop or a solo sitfly or backfly or something. This protects my legs and shorts on landing but not as hot as the full jumpsuit.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Shorts aren't so hot because if you end up PLFing a landing you'll probably skin your legs. And you don't want anything to keep you from PLFing a landing that you should. Pants shouldn't be loose enough to billow in the hips or ride up the legs, but uncomfortably tight isn't desirable either.

A T-shirt only works if you can tuck it securely into your pants. Otherwise it can float up and cover handles.

If you wanted to I'm sure you could borrow a student jumpsuit still, but regardless, a shirt and long pants, with the shirt tucked in (and the collar tucked under if you end up with a shirt with a collar) should work fine.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Your first suit is the most important one, but if you stay in the sport for three years or longer, you'll eventually wind up with different suits for different disciplines and in some cases, jeans and shirt will be your choice to make a load.. If you've chosen a discipline, then you might want to check on used suits close to your size. Most riggers can make minor modifications to "tweek" it until you find what's right before buying your first "custom" suit.

You can also choose a discipline and go with one of the manufacturers, ensure you get proper measurements and trust me, they've been doing this long enough that they's seen it all and can do magic shit to help with your fall rate and build one specific to you.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I do understand how important a suit is, Ive already got an Altitrack, and a helmet of my own just havent got the suit yet. Ill be renting a rig and wasnt sure what the attire should be. Im in Az and its still in the low 100's so i also dont want to cook but also wanna be as safe as possible. Thanks for all the responses

Shorts aren't so hot because if you end up PLFing a landing you'll probably skin your legs.

Or, more than that. I made my pre-second jump in shorts and a t-shirt on labor day. I overshot my landing target big time and landed in a thorn bush for the pre-second time.

I didn't learn my lesson, though. I made two more jumps that day in shorts and a t-shirt.

:S
Don't forget to pull!

Shorts aren't so hot because if you end up PLFing a landing you'll probably skin your legs.

Or, more than that. I made my pre-second jump in shorts and a t-shirt on labor day. I overshot my landing target big time and landed in a thorn bush for the pre-second time.

I didn't learn my lesson, though. I made two more jumps that day in shorts and a t-shirt.

:S

thorns go through long pants too.... :D

Ive found the best thing to jump in thats not specific to discipline are the pants that are popular amongst outdoor people. These come in brands such as The North Face, Mountain Hardware, Arcteryx, etc. Some of them are very similiar in style and material as freefly pants, they are durable and they wash (relatively) easily if you grass 'em up. Plus you can wear them whilst not skydiving and still do fine. The neon orange and hot pink free fly pants only go over well at the DZ and even then you still get the raised eyebrow...:D

Does anyone ever jump in jeans?

Fair warning, TSISK. I made the mistake of wearing tight jeans on my first jump. It was a tandem. When the chute opened. The instructor thought I was screaming in agony because of my hurt back (crashed racing the night before). Not quite...:D

What to wear in freefall is not as simple as some seem to think. Of course when jumping with others, depending on the type of jump and the type of people, can make all the difference in the world. At this early stage, however, you should be more worried about the safety aspect of wearing clothing not meant for freefall in freefall.

As others have mentioned, a loose shirt can blow up and cover your handles, both the cutaway/reserve in front, or the hackey in the back. Depending on what type of pants/shorts you have, a pocket can turn itself inside out, or if there are any pull strings/draw strings that can get loose, they can wrap around various rig parts.

Keep in mind that any sort of tucking or securing you do must be able to stand up to someone grabbing the loose fabric and vigorously shaking it back and forth for a full minute. If anything comes undone then, it won't stay put in freefall. Even that is a shitty test, and anything that isn't 'bulletproof' on the ground, most likey will not make it from exit to opening.

Of course comfort and safety are also considerations. Tight pants, for the guys, not so good. Shorts and a T-shirt, not going to help you if you land off or have a hard landing. Rocks or gravel under you when you pound in leave a bruise when the impact is through a jumpsuit, and do not bruise when it's your bare leg hitting them. The blood that would cause a bruise flows freely onto your sock through the hole in your skin.

I have yet to see the shcool who denies grads the use of a jumpsuit until that can wrangle their own. If you're unusually big or small, they might need the big boy suit or the mighty tighty for student for a jump, but an average sized guy can count on a student suit being available.

Wear a suit to minimize distractions for the time being. No need to add checking your clothing for proper freefall configuration to your gear check at this early date. Get comfortable jumping without coaches or instructors for now, and ease your way into skydiving in things that were never made for skydiving later.

Does anyone ever jump in jeans?

The problem with most jeans is that they remind me of the hotel in my home town ... no ball room!

Well, that depends upon how old you are ..... the ones' kids wear have SOO much ball room, they are more like a Tracking or even Wing suit:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome