SimonBones

TSA rig travel link

Now that USPA has launched their new website, the old link to the TSA SOP on rig travel is dead. Did anyone happen to save it? It saved my ass once on a flight to Florida a few years back. I'm flying with two rigs later this evening and would like to have a copy of those pages with me again.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Hey Simon! The travel page was moved to its own new home http://www.uspa.org/USPAMembers/Membership/Travel/WithintheUS/tabid/311/Default.aspx, but you're right, we did forget that TSA letter. It's up now, on that page plus the Downloads page (where, incidentally, you can also find just about every USPA form, manual, pdf, anything in one handy location :)
I know you didn't ask this part, but I have to share - we also added a page for jumpers coming into the U.S. It clarifies a lot of confusion about TSO'd rigs, and gives some tips about coming to the U.S.

Sorry to have missed that link! And - if there's anything else that would be useful for you when traveling, please let us know.

~Lara

ps - still working on getting your cool video up ;)

www.uspa.org

Read the USPA blog!

On a humorous note, when you're traveling with a rig, always call ahead to the DZ you intend to visit. Check to see if there will be a rigger present on the day you intend to visit. Contact him/her and offer him/her a case or two of beer as a retainer in case you need your reserve repacked. :(;)

It's good planning and a great way to meet people if it's a new DZ for you!;)

I just read the TSA link above. Has anyone ever had TSA open their reserve to inspect it? The link says they will let you assist and give you space to repack, but I doubt I could get my reserve back together. I'd be carrying an open rig around all day.

I've pretty much only heard good things of traveling with a rig, but I just wanted to see if it's happened to anyone since the link makes it seem common.

It hasn't happened to me, you can usually bitch and complain for a supervisor until the supervisor finally comes and sends you skipping on your way.

I do know some people that have had some pretty nightmare stories though. One thing to keep in mind: when/if they ask whether or not you packed your reserve or were present, the answer is ALWAYS yes. Never ever tell them that you drop off your rig with a rigger to pack it and then pick it up because the only thing they will hear is, "someone else packed my bags and I was not present" which will put you in a shit storm. A friend went through this and they shut down a whole area and brought in the bomb squad and took her whole rig apart.

Just keep your rig on you as carry-on, bring your TSA paperwork and your Cypres card. If they give you any hassle, just insist that you do not have to unpack any of it, ask for a supervisor, and tell them you packed everything yourself but don't have any of your tools with you to repack it.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Just keep your rig on you as carry-on, bring your TSA paperwork and your Cypres card. If they give you any hassle, just insist that you do not have to unpack any of it, ask for a supervisor, and tell them you packed everything yourself but don't have any of your tools with you to repack it.

In addition it may be helpful to carry your airline's own policy print-out. For instance, I just few Southwest to and from Nationals. They have a written policy to allow parachutes as carry-ons or checked baggage. You just can't wear it in flight.

Link here: http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_12

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon