agentsmith413

finally did my first solo jump!

One does, of course, need to start flaring at about the right height - say 10-15 feet. But more important is how one flares.

Essentially the flare is a dynamic process involving a feedback loop. After the flare is started, the pilot assesses the result and adjusts accordingly.

If the flare results in a "pop-up", it has been performed too fast and the pilot should hold the flare or at least slow it down until the canopy starts to sink again.

If the flare does not result in the canopy planing out, then the pilot needs to speed up the input until plane-out is achieved.

The correct speed to flare is affected by many variables including wing loading, canopy type and airspeed.

Teaching someone how to flare is like someone asking how much to turn the steering wheel to go around a corner in a car. It is impossible to give one correct answer. Experienced drivers constantly adjust the amount of steering input based on feedback from the eyes. Experienced canopy pilots do the same.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Remind me and I'll try to get some video of you landing. I do have some pics... you flared a little low in the attached one.

Dave

yeah wow i did. gotta work on that. coulda hurt my ankle again:D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

One does, of course, need to start flaring at about the right height - say 10-15 feet. But more important is how one flares.

Essentially the flare is a dynamic process involving a feedback loop. After the flare is started, the pilot assesses the result and adjusts accordingly.

If the flare results in a "pop-up", it has been performed too fast and the pilot should hold the flare or at least slow it down until the canopy starts to sink again.

If the flare does not result in the canopy planing out, then the pilot needs to speed up the input until plane-out is achieved.

The correct speed to flare is affected by many variables including wing loading, canopy type and airspeed.

Teaching someone how to flare is like someone asking how much to turn the steering wheel to go around a corner in a car. It is impossible to give one correct answer. Experienced drivers constantly adjust the amount of steering input based on feedback from the eyes. Experienced canopy pilots do the same.

that was put really well. thank you.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

One does, of course, need to start flaring at about the right height - say 10-15 feet. But more important is how one flares...

Not really.

Technique is important, but the best technique in the world will still give you a very ugly landing if done at the wrong time (height).

And the OP is under a large student canopy, which doesn't require very precise technique.

And the OP asked:

"...but does anyone here have any advice as to what helped them time their flares properly.

He wasn't asking about technique, he was asking about timing.
Which means he was really asking (even though he didn't realize it) about how to judge height on short final.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I did say that the flare needs to start at approximately the right height (50 feet is clearly too high and 2 feet is clearly too low).

[Reply]Which means he was really asking (even though he didn't realize it) about how to judge height on short final.[/Reply]
That's your interpretation. Timing could also mean how long it takes to complete the flare. You can start a flare too high or too low (within limits) and still have a stand-up landing if you recognize the fact and correct for it by adjusting the speed of the flare.

The issue of flare height has been covered by others. I wanted to address another part of the successful flare. At least one reader seemed to find it useful.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA