e_nevett

HOW MANY SKYDIVES A YEAR?

It would be a cool feature on dz.com to have a page that shows some of these stats for self reported jump numbers--just write a query against the db that sums the jump totals for all dz.com users (maybe broken down by license), excluding outliers who report tens of thousands. it wouldn't be at all scientific or even remotely meaningful, but it would be a cool number none-the-less. couple that with the lat/long coordinates of self-reported home DZs and you could even break it down by location.

Given the stats posted in this thread and given mine, I arrive at: 5 / (703 + 10 + 42) * 3 000 000 = 19 867.5497 active skydivers.

Though, I've heard that the estimate is more like 200,000 or so... but that counts those that do just 1 jump... only 2% of them go on to do more.
Don't forget to pull!

Given the stats posted in this thread and given mine, I arrive at: 5 / (703 + 10 + 42) * 3 000 000 = 19 867.5497 active skydivers.

Though, I've heard that the estimate is more like 200,000 or so... but that counts those that do just 1 jump... only 2% of them go on to do more.

What exactly are you calculating here?
You divide 5 skydivers by their number of jumps (why) and multiply with 3 milions (whats 3 milions, and why).
And that gives you ~20000 active skydivers?

Ehmm.. I dont get it.

Lessee, around 30-ish jumps in the last three years, mostly low solos. About seven RW loads to full altitude in the past two years. Seven jumps this year beginning in April after a five-month layoff. This past weekend made my first dive in three months.

Was planning to do some hop & pops, but met w/some friends and went up to 14,000' for a 5-way. Dove out last, flew very well. Currency is overrated.

Cheers,
Jon S.

I make 200-250 a year, weekend jumper, part time TM and AFF instructor. This year, due to surgery rehab, bad weather, and life, I've only made 44.[:/]

I've only got less than 10 (want to say 5 or so)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm averaging about 70 per month, . . . but fall is here, with winter close behind.

I did read somewhere a few years back, a reputable source if I remember correctly, that there were just under 3 million skydives made per year; but can't remember if that was worldwide or just the USA. I think it was worldwide, because that and the number of worldwide fatalities put the fatality rate right about 1 per 100,000 skydives.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley