bluepelican

Headache after Skydiving?

I had my first tandem jump this afternoon (not nearly as terrifying as I thought it would be). Anyway, I noticed that I had a dull headache after landing. Now, eight hours later, it's not any better. I'm wondering if this is normal and whether or not it'll go away within another day or so. Thanks.

I wonder if it could be a cervical spinal nerve involvement. Sometimes the harsh "jolt" of the chute deployment (especially on a tandem or first jump when you're not prepared for the snap of the sudden deceleration) can cause a headache or even migraine. Do you have any history of neck or back problems? Definitely see a physician if you plan to continue skydiving. They may suggest NSAIDs (Motrin, Aleve, etc.) or imaging studies.

Best of luck!

I used to get the headaches, accompanied by the ear problems, then after the doc's ideas for medications ran out, he put tubes in my ears and absolutely NO problems since. That was 5 years ago.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Early on I used to get migraines after jumping. I was told it was simply from an increase in blood pressure which is consistent with being excited.

Some would last a few hours, but eventually they went away. I never let them deter me from jumping as the reward far outweighed any minor discomfort.

I would guess you won't experience the same thing on future jumps since the first has a pretty good dose of anzioty, adrenellin and other raised body functions associated with it.

Do it again!
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I wonder if it could be a cervical spinal nerve involvement. Sometimes the harsh "jolt" of the chute deployment (especially on a tandem or first jump when you're not prepared for the snap of the sudden deceleration) can cause a headache or even migraine. Do you have any history of neck or back problems? Definitely see a physician if you plan to continue skydiving. They may suggest NSAIDs (Motrin, Aleve, etc.) or imaging studies.

Best of luck!

It certainly could have been the sudden jolt although I was ready for it. Anyway, I'm hoping that it'll be gone by the morning. I'll check in tomorrow.

Just an update. I still have a headache although it's not quite as bad as yesterday. I've been searching the internet and have found at least a few accounts of other people who have experienced the same thing, sometimes lasting for 3-4 days. So, I'll give it another day or so and see what happens.

Hello,
Congratulations on your first jumpB|!! Two possibilities: Sinus congestion or cervical impingement. After my first jump? My ears weren't clear for a few days. After jumping a few more times. My Eustachian tubes adapted. My ears now clear very quickly. Just because you don't have severe sinus pain, doesn't mean they aren't to blame for your dull headache. The other possibility would be cervical. Disc degeneration can cause wicked headaches. The axial loading from normal opening shocks is about 3Gs. Without any other symptoms: scalp/arm/hand numbness, neck pain, stiffness. It being cervical disc degeneration seems unlikely. I suggest giving it another day. You can try an OTC decongestant. If it persists? An X-Ray series @an Orthopaedist isn't expensive w/insurance. Disc degeneration will show on normal X-Rays. As I'm finding out myself (Cervical Arthritis thread in "Skydiving w/Disabilities" section). Even if you do have some cervical arthritis. It won't keep you from skydiving. FYI, some insurance companies will deny claims if the injury was caused by skydiving. I'd be careful what you tell your Doctor. Best of Luck to you.

A couple of very good articles for your consideration. And a must read for all skydivers IMO.

Being in the medical field I've had the opportunity to treat both of these symptoms. One was already a paraplegic. The other (whiplash in a car accident) resolved without further incidence.

The relationship of neck injury and post-traumatic headache

Syringomyelia in Skydivers

I sincerely hope your headache resolves in short order.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

A couple of very good articles for your consideration. And a must read for all skydivers IMO.

Being in the medical field I've had the opportunity to treat both of these symptoms. One was already a paraplegic. The other (whiplash in a car accident) resolved without further incidence.

ltdiver

Good information..

Syringomyelia (or Syrinx) is not very common and extremely unlikely in the case of the OP.

Without any neck pain, a cervical injury is also somewhat unlikely.

With what little info that has been provided it seems more likely that it would be related to something such as: vestibular/cochlear (inner ear) issue or sinuses. Less likely, but possible, post-concussive (getting your bell rung).

If it's getting better he's probably just fine. If it gets worse go to the ER for eval and a CT scan.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

ltdiver

Good information..

Syringomyelia (or Syrinx) is not very common and extremely unlikely in the case of the OP.

Without any neck pain, a cervical injury is also somewhat unlikely.

With what little info that has been provided it seems more likely that it would be related to something such as: vestibular/cochlear (inner ear) issue or sinuses. Less likely, but possible, post-concussive (getting your bell rung).

If it's getting better he's probably just fine. If it gets worse go to the ER for eval and a CT scan.

While I agree with you that the OP's symptoms do not appear to be anything tragic, I took the opportunity for those who may click this thread to educate instead of creating another thread. I hope you don't mind.

I agree with your hypothesis on possible causes of the symptoms. I almost put at the end of my first post to check for possible concussion (or contra-coup). Pat Works almost died from a cerebral hemorrhage after 2 days of continued skydiving after a hard landing where he hit his head. I was involved with that post-traumatic episode and had to call 911 when he started projectile vomiting and became disoriented. Turns out it was a slow cerebral hemorrhage that required immediate evacuation at a trauma center that day. If you know Pat Works I would have LOVED to be a fly on the wall during his rehab! Imagine being his therapist and not knowing that Pat was 'crazy' *before* this incidence!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Stress? Anxiety? TMJ? Allergies? Sinus? Blood pressure? It could be any number of things so its a good idea you are seeing a doctor. I once had a headache last 3 weeks due to some TMJ issues.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Best of luck!

My god...your're an idiot ;-)

Rule #1 to OP, don't ask questions like this on the internet because some moron, like the one above, will come up with some crazy theory as to why you have headache. Thank god that guy is not a doctor or else medicare rates would be through the roof for America!! Lol,

Take an advil, drink water/eat, rest...sit and spin...sit...and...spin.

Quick update. It's been a week now and my headache is no better (or worse). My chiropractor adjusted my neck and back a couple days ago, but it made no difference. I'm hoping that catching up on some sleep over the long weekend will help. If it's no better by next week, I guess I'll have to begrudgingly go see another doctor.

Quick update. It's been a week now and my headache is no better (or worse). My chiropractor adjusted my neck and back a couple days ago, but it made no difference. I'm hoping that catching up on some sleep over the long weekend will help. If it's no better by next week, I guess I'll have to begrudgingly go see another doctor.

Have you considered the possibility it has nothing to do with skydiving at all? That the skydive and the headache are simply coincidence?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Best of luck!

My god...your're an idiot ;-)

Rule #1 to OP, don't ask questions like this on the internet because some moron, like the one above, will come up with some crazy theory as to why you have headache. Thank god that guy is not a doctor or else medicare rates would be through the roof for America!! Lol,

Take an advil, drink water/eat, rest...sit and spin...sit...and...spin.

That was quite unnecessary. A few quick points I'd like to make:

1. I never claimed to be a doctor, but for the record, I'm in dental school, so I'm far from an "idiot" or a "moron."

2. It's no secret that a hard opening can cause a whiplash type strain/injury on the neck. If you care to read a bit about human anatomy and physiology, you'll also see that the small vertebral bodies of the cervical spine (and all the other goodies packed in that same area!) take relatively little to disrupt.... and even minor "disruptions" can cause catastrophic results.

3. Suggesting that someone who has had a prolonged headache post-trauma should see a doctor is the smart thing to do -- telling them to take an NSAID, without ever knowing the cause of the headache, is negligent (to put it lightly). I didn't tell him that he broke his neck and was going to become paralyzed any minute.... I told him his doctor will probably want to take an x-ray or MRI and give him an OTC anti-inflammatory (very conservative diagnostic tests and treatments).

4. Lastly, the fact that the OP still has a headache several days later goes in support of my point that he needs to get it looked at by a doctor.

"Hey, look @the Pelican! Fly Pelican, Fly!!" Antonio Montana (sorry...).

I'm sorry to read that your headache hasn't gone away for seven days straight(?). If so, you need to be evaluated by a real Doctor. I personally have very little respect for the field of chiropractics. Smoke & Mirrors describes most of the "Treatments" I've seen on Youtube. Many claims made by this specialty have no basis in scientific fact. Your headache might be nothing. It might be something serious. You don't know. I get headaches from time to time. I used to get almost daily migraines. If I had a headache last seven days straight? I would have been evaluated a few days ago... It sounds like it is past time you went to see your Doctor. Good Luck.

It's not normal, nor is it likely to be skydiving induced.

Skydiving induced headaches are generally sinus issues and they're anything but dull.

In the worst-case scenario, sinus blockage feels like an axe buried in your skull!

I have suffered whip-lash in two hard openings.
The first was after an MFP T-10 (round canopy) suffered a total inversion. I pulled so many muscles - in the left side of my neck - that it took three days to straighten it! I was far too young and fit and macho and bullet-proof to tell anyone .. something about working at the Canadian Army Airborne Center....

The second time was a terminal (drogueless) tandem reserve opening. I pulled so many muscles in the back of my neck that it took a week and massage therapist to straighten my neck.

In both cases, my neck muscles hurt so much that I did not notice nay skull pain.

If pain lasts more than three days, ask a medical doctor - ideally an orthopedic surgeon - to inspect your head and neck.

It's not normal, nor is it likely to be skydiving induced.

Skydiving induced headaches are generally sinus issues and they're anything but dull.

I dunno...I've had some pretty severe Skydiving induced headaches, but they caused by 'cooler contents consumption'.

Some took more than a day or two to go away! :S:);)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~