tmarine253

Nervous about second jump

I know this has probably already been answered but I would like to get some opinions on this. I did my AFF 1 a few days ago and plan on going to do my next two jumps the day after tomorrow. I was nervous for the first jump but my instructor said I did really well. With my second jump coming up I feel like I am more nervous about the second one than I was the first jump. My question is, is it normal to be more nervous for my second jump? I thought the anxiety would have severely decreased after I had gotten my first one out of the way. Any opinions?

I think that everyone responds differently. Are you nervous about the jump or maybe the increased tasks or what.
Once a long time ago I had a student back out on his #15 jump, He didn't feel good about it and didn't want to jump, never seen him again.
Skydiving isn't for everyone, talk to your instructor and express your concerns.
Fear is a good thing to a point, it is a natural response, I would be more concerned if you had no fear what so ever.
You are doing something that you have probably been told your entire life is crazy and you will die by people that know nothing about the sport, these things remain in the back of your mind.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

I really enjoyed my first jump and am not at all about to give up skydiving. I don't panic under pressure and its not a fear that would drive me to never jump again. My fear is not associated with performance but more associated with the act of actually jumping out of the plane again. I would have to agree with your point on the general consensus of the status quo that skydiving is a dangerous sport and you will most likely die if you do it. I just think that it is the subliminal thought of doing something the body is not used to (free falling from 14000 feet) and my anxiety will probably decrease over time. I appreciate the response.

Since I just completed AFF a few months ago, the experience is still fresh. I remember the second jump being the most intimidating. Part of that was because my first jump resulting in a nasty opening, but most of it was simply due to the fact that I knew what to be afraid of. Easier to be scared of 14,500 feet when you've actually looked down from that height!

Of course, AFF2 was a blast, and was the jump I decided to get a license on. I would give it a bit more time. :)

I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

From a background of Psychology and my I-rating in skydiving I can say that you're not the first with this reaction and that this reaction is quite common.

Making the first jump everything is new and you don't know what to expect. Now you know what to expect and then fear can kick in. This is a normal psychological response of the body. Skydiving isn't a natural thing to do and the body responds to this. How it responds differs per person.

For most people this fear will diminish the next couple of jumps. As long as you have fun in skydiving and fear isn't controlling your skydives everything is ok. If fear starts controlling your skydives then it's time to eveluate with yourself if this sport is something for you.

Just take the time to make 2-3 more skydives and see how things work out for you. In a week you'll probably think "Why did I ask this question, everything is ok now".
Blue skies!

I went for automatic/manual student course instead of AFF. But I was definitely more scared of jump #2 than the first.

Back then (looong time ago, back in july B|) I was really puzzled by this fact, but I figured out why I felt that way.

On the first jump I had absolutely no idea what to expect when I exited the aircraft. The wind, the speed, the fact that I was committing suicide at 1000m ASL - All that really came as a surprise.

On my second jump the day after, I was much more nervous. Also, I had a feeling that first time I survived purely based on luck. This is of course not true, and I know that today. But it took quite some nerve to get on the load.

A few hours later I took my third jump, where I was much more calm again. Then I had to cutaway and use my reserve. That kinda gave jump #4 some edge again ;)

Well my point is, that for me, I wasn't knowing exactly what skydiving was on my first jump. I knew much better on the second, hence I was more nervous.

(by the way, going to have my jump #14 today, and am still scared to sh*t about being in the AC).

Safety third!

I would have to agree with your point on the general consensus of the status quo that skydiving is a dangerous sport and you will most likely die if you do it.

Now this is maybe something you need to get out of your head. You need to trust your gear and your training.

Skydiving is not a sport where you will most likely die... if you do it right :)

It is a dangerous sport, but remember that you are the one in control, from the moment you check your rig to the moment your canopy is safely deflated on the ground. So it's your job to make it work ^^ Don't let your fears take over.

Oh yeah and most of all, have fun :D
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9

As others have said, on the first jump everything was new. You had no idea what to expect, so you didn't know what to be afraid of.

Now that you've jumped, you know what it looks and feels like to stand in the open door and go out.

And if you weren't at least a little bit afraid, then there would be something seriously wrong with you.

For me, the second jump was the scariest.

But it only gets better.

A lot better:)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You need to trust your gear and your training.

After almost a 10 month break from jumping I was nervous as heck before getting back up. What calmed me down was repacking. I don't know if you covered that part of training yet, however my main point is I was nervous till I started trusting my gear.
Plus about 1100 gear checks in between putting my gear on and being out the door :D

I remember getting more nervous with the increased complexity of each new jump level. Specifically being in a new "unfamiliar" unstable position. The AFF program is setup to learn a lot fast so I think it's normal to feel like that. It also took me awhile to "trust" the gear. Once those thing's are out of your head there will be some normal nervousness here and there but overall it will become more fun that you can imagine.

I think that everyone responds differently. Are you nervous about the jump or maybe the increased tasks or what.
Once a long time ago I had a student back out on his #15 jump, He didn't feel good about it and didn't want to jump, never seen him again.
Skydiving isn't for everyone, talk to your instructor and express your concerns.
Fear is a good thing to a point, it is a natural response, I would be more concerned if you had no fear what so ever.
You are doing something that you have probably been told your entire life is crazy and you will die by people that know nothing about the sport, these things remain in the back of your mind.

due to some pre boarding confusion, i walked out of my 15th jump, and havent jumped since, but i still would visit the DZ as much as i could, and since then ive logged close to 20 mins in the tunnel, ill go back someday, i think about it too much not to. figured id log some tunnel time in the mean time, so when i do go back itll be a much easier transition
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I know this has probably already been answered but I would like to get some opinions on this. I did my AFF 1 a few days ago and plan on going to do my next two jumps the day after tomorrow. I was nervous for the first jump but my instructor said I did really well. With my second jump coming up I feel like I am more nervous about the second one than I was the first jump. My question is, is it normal to be more nervous for my second jump? I thought the anxiety would have severely decreased after I had gotten my first one out of the way. Any opinions?

I'm nervous about your 2nd jump too.

Just funning you - enjoy.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Just remember that every skydiver you see, read and hear about, who are not doing their first jump have been where you are.

Jump number 2. Been there, done that!.

Once you are out the door your fear will be gone. You'll be busy becoming aware of a lot more things that prolly passed you by in the adrenalin rush of your first jump.

The key to it all is to remember to think clearly in freefall. Your awareness levels will go up quickly.

Try to get as many jumps in as you can in a relatively short time. One or two a week is too few to really kill the anxiety you feel, and just prolongs it. But it will go.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Once you are out the door your fear will be gone.

The key to it all is to remember to think clearly in freefall. Your awareness levels will go up quickly.

Try to get as many jumps in as you can in a relatively short time. One or two a week is too few to really kill the anxiety you feel, and just prolongs it. But it will go.

truer words have never been spoken.
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Just remember that every skydiver you see, read and hear about, who are not doing their first jump have been where you are.

Jump number 2. Been there, done that!.

Once you are out the door your fear will be gone. You'll be busy becoming aware of a lot more things that prolly passed you by in the adrenalin rush of your first jump.

I couldn't agree MORE....

A few hours later I took my third jump, where I was much more calm again. Then I had to cutaway and use my reserve. That kinda gave jump #4 some edge again ;).

Cutaway on jump 3...... You got me beat didnt have mine till jump 23

Damn, I'm really slacking... No cutaways yet...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I started out, long ago, with static line. I was scared and nervous to some degree on my first jump, but did just fine. On my second jump, I was REALLY scared, much worse than the first time. But again, I did just fine. After that, things improved with time, until I felt confident. Then I took a break for 22 years. When I came back, I was dry mouth scared shitless all over again. and again did just fine.

Skydiving is not natural. We are born with only two instinctive fears - sudden loud noises and falling. Both fears are inborn to aid in our survival as a species that does not enjoy winged flight. We skydive from airplanes with noisy engines, tearing through a lot of noisy air, plus the plane rocks like a boat on the ocean of air. It's all quite disconcerting if you haven't done it before. But over time, you will get used to it, gain confidence, feel comfortable, and even start to enjoy it.

Even now I feel a bit edgy on the first load of the day, especially if I haven't jumped in a couple weeks. But once the door opens, it's all about the business at hand. The rest of the day the ride up is relaxed, minus the occasional fart in the cabin or some of the WORST jokes you will ever hear in your life.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

It's normal to be more nerveous on your second jump because now you know what you are going to do. On the first one, it was kinda abstract, "Hey, I'm gonna jump out of a plane, but I'll be wearing a parachute, so it's OK!", now you're more like "I'm REALLY gonna fall out of a plane, gravity is gonna grab hold of me, and if I don't do what I'm supposed to, Im DEAD!" You know what it looks like and feels like, and it's unfamiliar and scary.

It's up to you to decide if you want to keep doing this, but if you do, you'll get less nerveous and have more fun.

On the ride to altitude on my AFF2, I was completely sure I was experiencing my last minutes in this world. But it got better.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I got my A license 2 weeks ago and did my 26th jump last weekend. It was the first jump where i had to rent a rig, handle getting someone to pack it, Buy jump tickets ect. It was also the weekend of a Boogie. I was a nervous wreck on my first jump of the day From the second i got there till I left the plane on the first jump. For some reason the ride up was brutal. I know i checked my 3 handles 50 times before my exit.

Just to let everyone know, I drove down to Deland this morning and even though the weather appeared to be bad, I got to jump. I did my AFF 2 and AFF 3 today. On the ride up on my AFF 2 I was extremely nervous and scared but as soon as I got out of the plane and I was in free fall I was having a great time. I did everything I needed too and had a perfect landing, for my AFF 3 there was still a little nervousness but not like I had, my instructors also told me I had a great skydive for AFF 3. I feel like I am now over the initial sense of fear. I know I will still have the butterflies going up but as soon as I'm out the door I will be all good. Oh and on my AFF 2 the one I was really scared for, I had a line twist, it was twisted like three times but that really didn't bother me too much.

Just to let everyone know, I drove down to Deland this morning and even though the weather appeared to be bad, I got to jump. I did my AFF 2 and AFF 3 today. On the ride up on my AFF 2 I was extremely nervous and scared but as soon as I got out of the plane and I was in free fall I was having a great time. I did everything I needed too and had a perfect landing, for my AFF 3 there was still a little nervousness but not like I had, my instructors also told me I had a great skydive for AFF 3. I feel like I am now over the initial sense of fear. I know I will still have the butterflies going up but as soon as I'm out the door I will be all good. Oh and on my AFF 2 the one I was really scared for, I had a line twist, it was twisted like three times but that really didn't bother me too much.

who were your instructors?