ridestrong

Malfunction/Cutaway & Ground Crash Video

Why do they care if any of us takes a dirt nap? It's not like they know us, not like they jump with us, not like they're going to jump with us in the future..

To care for someone, you have to know the person well.

Try thinking outside your little box, Sangi.

It's not about you.

It's about skydiving and the negative results that fatalities have on our sport and the potential alteration of our self-regulatory status. It's about lawsuits and liability. It's about DZs and Mfgrs being able to remain open and make a living.

It's not about you.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Never said it was about me.

A lot of fatalities have occurred and and a lot more will occur and yet skydiving is still going strong, no fatality has any revolutionary impact..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

A lot of fatalities have occurred and and a lot more will occur and yet skydiving is still going strong, no fatality has any revolutionary impact..

I don't think you are looking at the whole picture. Take what Nova was saying about it affecting DZ's and manufacturers. From your perspective it may be going strong but an incident can cause doors to close. Any door closing equals less growth.

Look at the tandem fatality that is causing Strong all those problems. Do you think that could have an impact on the sport? Think outside your box and really look at what does happen. Your narrow thinking and attitude that fatalities will happen in the sport but it will be strong is naive.

>I'm so fucking sick of all this DZ.Com Bullshit<

Look at my jump numbers. Not so high are they. Guess what? I started jumping a camera at about 30 jumps. At about 110 I started listening to the jumpers here that have been around for awhile and removed it and haven't put it back on and don't intend to.

I'm not sure how this argument helps your case. No other jumper around at 30 jumps to tell you it was a bad idea? Or did someone tell you and you just ignored them until jump 110? Never read the SIM for 110 jumps?

Im Not trying to build a case for myself or anybody else. And no. Nobody ever told me shit. And I was under the same mindset as the people here that think well it's just a little camera and I turn it on and forget about it. I ignored the SIM and thought hell, I can do this. But the more I read and the more I jumped, the more I worried about the snag hazard. I realized myself that I was not ready to have that camera on my head and took it off. My post was only because I had read 5 pages of low jump newbies (of which I admit that I am in the category) who are completely unwilling to listen to anybody with any experience. I will listen to anybody who is trying to tell me something that just may save my life.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

:o You're kidding right? Just because I don't know you sure as hell doesn't mean I don't care if you die. Holy cow! I cant believe that is what you think. Nobody in this sport wants anybody else to die doing it. And if you think that a fatality or an accident doesn't adversly affect the sport and everybody else in it, you are sadly mistaken. And how do you know that you may not jump with other people on here in the future? I may not know you but I sure don't want you to die doing something we both love. I hope you grow old skydiving.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Wow!!! my advice is for him to look at how he has set himself up and do something positive for himself by fixing his ep drills and his lack of cutaway on his helmet..

I looked through the thread, and have seen no advice, which i would want to take, or give, berating somone does not help anyone.

I think they resent your statments and advice (not yours in particualr) because they come across in such an arogant way, people do not respond well to this kind of thing.

Look at the positives here. he's alive, and walking after a mal, what else do you expect for a guy with 101 jumps, his cci need to make the call on his camera wearage... not you not me, he could be a skygod in the making, he could be making the list, WE have no idea, WE have never met him. WE have never seen him jump.

I agree to a point, of trying to scare the little fucker, but if the guy never asks for advice and kills himself becasue he's afraid to ask for questions in the future, we as a comunity get nowhere.

I agree we need to have fun in our sport. That is why we skydive right. Its fun. Now I havent been in the sport nearly long enough to start throwing valuable advice around, but what I can gather is, when people start going in bad things come out of it. There is a death in the sport, a family looses a son or daugher. People loose a friend(no matter how much it seems like it sometimes but we all have friends), The sport may loose more than just one person. If people happen to witness the incident( Im sure it happens more often than not) they may be driven out of the sport. Lawsuits like mentioned earlier in this forum may come about. Yes we will learn something from the incident, Wether or not it was gear related, we will always learn something from it. Now with that being said, Some times we learn a hard lesson. New restrictions may be put on our sport. Our sport is scrutinized to no end constantly. Take a look at the recent incident in Toronto. Im sure all the wonderfull media attention we are getting from it is bringing in at least 300 new Solo jumpers per DZ across canada.
Now this goes straight to you "Sangi". I am a low low low number jumper. I(like many people in the sport) hates being told what to do, how to do it. This Subject hits pretty close to home for me. I didnt come out of it with a Mal, no cut away, but a good lesson none the less. My self and another jumper from my home dz where going for a hope and pop camera flight. At this point i had two camera jumps under my belt. We decided to do an exit that we really shouldnt have and caught it on tape. To make a long story short, after reviewing the video(thinking I am all hot shit had so much fun and was so creative) my DZO/ really good friend took me aside and proceeded to knock me down on notch at a time. Fuck did I hate him at the moment, I felt like an idiot. Looking at this now, It happen last summer, I look at how many cards I had stacked leaning slightly towards the fire. I was lucky, the guy I was jumping with was lucky. The biggest thing I can take out of it is, incidents don't happen from one "big" mistake. Its mostly always a culmination of various little mistakes, And my incident was sure starting to make a list of its own. Dude, I hope I get a chance to jump with you. Its a bloody small world so you never know if it will happen or not. Keep enjoying our sport as it is. Have fun with your life man, but for fuck sakes take some advice with a little more of an open mind. I like the sport the way it is, but i fear if things keep happening that could be avoided incident wise, our sport is going to change in ways we are all not going to like.
Im done being all grown up, Im going to go play in active avalanche terrain!
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

he could be a skygod in the making,

With comments like,

I'd rather be bold than old and have a fucking blast while it lasts

it seems he's more of a DGIT than a SGIT.

I hope not, but that's the appearance.

As far as online advice? He's been told to talk to his S&TA - by me - because he needs advice locally. He needs his instructor's, friend's, S&TA advice and guidance.

Not asking questions, not looking for advice or even mentoring in this sport can be hazardous to one's health. The young, dumb 100-jump wonders moreso than any other.

Blues.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Never said it was about me.

You are either a troll or a complete dumb ass, maybe both...

Sangi,

Why don't you take a week and go back through all of the posts in the incidents forum and then look for posts by the people that the incidents are about. You'll find more corelation that you'd like to admit.

I remember a saying I saw on here (although not exactly so I'll paraphrase)...

"When you start skydiving you start out with 2 buckets. One full of luck and the other empty of skill. Every jump you take a little luck out and hopefully move it to the skill bucket. If your luck bucket runs out before your skill bucket is full then you're going to be in a world of hurt"

Also remember that you might not kill yourself but you may kill a friend that you're jumping with. Could you live with that?

On your OP you attached a photo called "cord in hand". I guess you meant the yellow cutaway cables - which isn't a cord. But this cap also shows the reserve at near or full extension and your hand is on the riser (holding the cutaway pillow!)...not on the silver handle, which is where you told us it was!!

I have a Skyhook and I could feel my reserve opening as I put my hand on the 'D' ring.

So which is it? I'm just wondering. Were you aware of where your hands were and just made up the bit about going for the handle to protect your pride?

Um... your comments pretty clearly state that you think my hand should still be on the reserve handle in the photo with my hands on the risers, and you even say this more than once questioning me about it. I said I put my hand on the reserve handle after pulling the cutaway, I didn't say I held on to it for the photo.

I don't know about you but I don't feel the need to pull or keep my hand on the reserve handle when my reserve is over my head. I'm sure you actually think my hands should be on my risers at this point which is where they are.

Again, if I needed to pull the reserve handle I would have. The Skyhook is extremely fast and I could feel the reserve deploying the second I cutaway. The Skyhook/RSL beat me to deploying the reserve, I never claimed otherwise.

Also, I left my pride where my feet touched the ground, thanks.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

he could be a skygod in the making,

With comments like,

I'd rather be bold than old and have a fucking blast while it lasts

it seems he's more of a DGIT than a SGIT.

I hope not, but that's the appearance.

As far as online advice? He's been told to talk to his S&TA - by me - because he needs advice locally. He needs his instructor's, friend's, S&TA advice and guidance.

Not asking questions, not looking for advice or even mentoring in this sport can be hazardous to one's health. The young, dumb 100-jump wonders moreso than any other.

Blues.

I also see you edited this post where you originally said to crashtested: "I don't know you, but you sir are a moron." Good call adding some actual content, cause that was just rude. :P

The Skyhook is extremely fast

Yeah. Probably faster than you could get your hand from cutaway, to reserve handle, to riser. :S

There are plenty of damn good jumpers who can't get their hand to the reserve handle before the Skyhook deploys their reserve - which is inflating as they do pull the handle.

One thing I've learned in life is that if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and walks like a duck - it's a damn duck.

I'm not saying your lying. I'm saying it looks like it. ;)

I also see you edited this post where you originally said to crashtested: "I don't know you, but you sir are a moron." Good call adding some actual content, cause that was just rude. :P

Anything I edited was done so only for spelling and/or grammar, but I did not edit the "You are a moron" post. If you think that comment was rude, wait'll you hear this: I think you're a moron, too.

I'm like a baseball umpire: I call 'em like I see 'em.

It is my opinion that you, Ridestrong, would be better served by reading the SIM and staying away from Dorkzonedotcom. It'll be great if you learn, have fun skydiving and enjoy the skies for a long, injury-free life.

It's up to you. Blue skies.

I'd rather be bold than old and have a fucking blast while it lasts ;)

Then do it in a remote location where your death will not be observed by others, will not impact on other jumpers and will not impact on any spectators that are there.
Also will not impact of the (probably few) people who actually think you life was worth maintaining.

But you are right i for one don't give a fat rats arse if you are alive or not.
I do care HOW you die though.
Try not doing it Skydiving or Motorbike riding those two pass times are where you could potentially impact on my play time. (yes i know im selfish, and happily so)

So i would personally appreciate it if you were bold and having a blast in a sport not participated in my me.

Take up Extreme downhill mountain biking, and take it over a cliff. I'm NEVER doing that so it wont impact on my whatsoever.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

There are plenty of damn good jumpers who can't get their hand to the reserve handle before the Skyhook deploys their reserve

My point exactly... if you know your reserve is deploying the second you pull your cutaway and you can feel it deploying is there a need to pull your reserve handle? If you think there is please explain.

Anything I edited was done so only for spelling and/or grammar, but I did not edit the "You are a moron" post. If you think that comment was rude, wait'll you hear this: I think you're a moron, too.

Well you and I both know you are a liar, cause I'm pretty sure you remember typing it with your own two hands and I remember reading it with my own two eyes... before you edited out.

I'm like a baseball umpire: I call 'em like I see 'em.

I have an idea... I am willing to discuss every last detail of the mal/cutaway point-by-point with you if you are interested. Not to try to determine a winner but so we can both get our points across. We can discuss one point and then move to the next. I am sure it can be a good learning experience for all.

Im going to go play in active avalanche terrain!

After living thru three...the third one just barely.. I gave that shit up... no more back country skiing for moi.:S:S

I spent a whole season doing nothing but 'back country' snowboarding here in CO one year. It is some of the best terrain you can ride, getting untouched powder all day long. Thankfully I never had any brushes with avalanches... and I haven't done it in years now, do miss it from time to time tho.

Well, its kinda funny how it works out, They tell you to get all educated, but the thing they leave out is stats show, the more education you get the more likly you are to get caught, haha, I can get away from it unless i quit my job, and until skydiving takes up all the bills(you and i both know that wont happen) i am still going to have to take my risks at face value, On a plus note, this year I only had 1 "close" call.
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.