ridestrong

Malfunction/Cutaway & Ground Crash Video

That's because of the conversion rate: 50 Canuckian jumps equals 250 US jumps. You multiply by 5 and add in a few winters.;)

:D:D:D
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

how so? the picture (awesome picture by the way, hilarious [aside from being scary]) shows him sniveling under his reserve at medium speeds right? once the reserve leaves your back (that happened several seconds before that screen grab was taken) there is no point in throwing reserve handle.

This may have been his first cutaway, the guy only has 100 jumps, do you really think it's wise for people with so few jumps to be messing around when they're having a mal? I wouldn't want to be doing that myself (yes, I've cut away before). Maybe with more experience cutting away is something different but the idea of practicing our EPs as we're going to do them to make them muscle memory is a very important one. The seconds one saves by implementing EPs ASAP could save lives. I also feel that with all the other mistakes made on this jump that jumping with a camera probably isn't a great idea. Shouldn't someone adding complexity be even more vigilant with their packing to avoid the potential for causing a mal rather than pretty flippant about the whole thing? The video shows someone (IMO) who's not behaving as though they understand the danger they're in.

I think you should comment on these kinds of threads, different opinions can help us all to gain a better understanding.

how so? the picture (awesome picture by the way, hilarious [aside from being scary]) shows him sniveling under his reserve at medium speeds right? once the reserve leaves your back (that happened several seconds before that screen grab was taken) there is no point in throwing reserve handle.

This may have been his first cutaway, the guy only has 100 jumps, do you really think it's wise for people with so few jumps to be messing around when they're having a mal? I wouldn't want to be doing that myself (yes, I've cut away before). Maybe with more experience cutting away is something different but the idea of practicing our EPs as we're going to do them to make them muscle memory is a very important one. The seconds one saves by implementing EPs ASAP could save lives. I also feel that with all the other mistakes made on this jump that jumping with a camera probably isn't a great idea. Shouldn't someone adding complexity be even more vigilant with their packing to avoid the potential for causing a mal rather than pretty flippant about the whole thing? The video shows someone (IMO) who's not behaving as though they understand the danger they're in.

I think you should comment on these kinds of threads, different opinions can help us all to gain a better understanding.

First off, I was the only one there, and I was aware of my situation, altitude and time to respond. I did not panic and had a successful cutaway. I have watched plenty of cutaway videos with mals that were much worse than mine (big balls of shit) and the jumpers spent way more time trying to fix their unfix-able ball of shit before cutting away. Every mal caries it's own urgency and situational awareness. I unclipped my chin strap with ease and sufficient altitude. I put both hands on my cutaway handle and pulled. I was under my reserve in 2 seconds, if I needed to pull my reserve handle I would have. Without an RSL that 2 seconds could have been used to get stable and pull.

Second, responding to a mal is more about an individuals ability to remain calm, analyze the situation and take appropriate action. I recently read an incident forum about a jumper with well over a 1000 jumps who cutaway a mal and never deployed his reserve. The reserve handle was not pulled and his reserve was found to be packed appropriately. My point is... someone with 1000 or 6000 jumps may not respond as well to a stressful situation as someone with less jump numbers. You can practice your EP's on the ground all day long but it will not necessarily change the way you react to stress when you actually experience a mal. Everyone has their own way of managing a stressful event. If we put 10 different jumpers in my exact same situation we would probably see 10 different reactions. To each their own...

Also, I always touch and check all my handles at least twice while in the plane before exit on every jump.

As for the guy in the other thread who pulled his buddies cutaway handle on exit (and likely has many more jumps than I do)... that is a real fuck up. It could have just as easily been the reserve handle, deploying the reserve behind the backs of the other 2 jumpers in the train killing all three of them. Pretty funny. [:/] ...but I can't even pull my own cutaway without someone telling me I did it wrong. [:/]
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Second, responding to a mal is more about an individuals ability to remain calm, analyze the situation and take appropriate action. I recently read an incident forum about a jumper with well over a 1000 jumps who cutaway a mal and never deployed his reserve. The reserve handle was not pulled and his reserve was found to be packed appropriately. My point is... someone with 1000 or 6000 jumps may not respond as well to a stressful situation as someone with less jump numbers. You can practice your EP's on the ground all day long but it will not necessarily change the way you react to stress when you actually experience a mal. Everyone has their own way of managing a stressful event. If we put 10 different jumpers in my exact same situation we would probably see 10 different reactions. To each their own...

Also, I always touch and check all my handles at least twice while in the plane before exit on every jump.

As for the guy in the other thread who pulled his buddies cutaway handle on exit (and likely has many more jumps than I do)... that is a real fuck up. It could have just as easily been the reserve handle, deploying the reserve behind the backs of the other 2 jumpers in the train killing all three of them. Pretty funny. [:/] ...but I can't even pull my own cutaway without someone telling me I did it wrong. [:/]

Exactly.

You all babble, you should have done this, you shouldn't have done this, I would have done this bla bla bla..

Yeh yeh, you people would have done a perfect save from a mal behind your PC in your warm room, you (nor me, nor anyone else) knows exactly how they're going to react to stressfull situations and even the almighty skygod with 10k jumps can fuck up on some kind of emergency..

So quit all the bullcrap and chill out with your "you're going to die, oh noes, look at your bad cutaway, look at you flying a cam at these jump numbers", I'm so fucking sick of this DZ.com bullshit!

Rant out.
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I have watched plenty of cutaway videos with mals that were much worse than mine (big balls of shit) and the jumpers spent way more time trying to fix their unfix-able ball of shit before cutting away

This is where you're getting your information from? You saw it on Youtube, so it must be right?

responding to a mal is more about an individuals ability to remain calm, analyze the situation and take appropriate action.

You say this based on what? Your one malfunction, which to be fair, some have suggested you could handled in a more appropriate manner? This grants you the knowledge to make such a statement? wouldn't you think that the collective knowledge of all the cutaways from everyone on the board might have some more accurate info?

I can't even pull my own cutaway without someone telling me I did it wrong.

What would you prefer? That anyone with a negative comment hold their tounge? Did we hurt your feelings, or tarnish your 'image'?

The real problem here is your attitude. What would ever lead you to beleive that you couldn't make a mistake? Your reaction to anyone with a negative comment about your situaiton makes it seem like such a stretch that a guy with 100 jumps might still have a thing or two to learn. Is that really such a stretch?

Furthermore, what would lead you to believe that more experienced jumpers wouldn't have something to add, something that could improve your performance (and mayeb prolong your life) the next time? Why are you so resistant to that concept? Forget about skydiving, how for do you think you're going to get in life with that attitude?

Are you under the incorrect assumption that 90% of the more experienced jumper here didn't used to be just like you? I don't even know you, but I feel pretty comfortable calling you young, dumb, and full of cum. We all were. Some of us jumped during that time, and some of us are still jumping. The concept is that we've been where you are now, and we're where we're at now, so we have two things you don't, experience and perspective.

So you don't like the way some of the messages were delivered? Have you looked around a DZ lately? Last time I did I saw very few certified mental health professionals, and quite a few dirt-bag adreniline jumkies. Do you really expect these people to be polite, understanding of your feelings, and skilled in the art of constructive critisism? What planet are you from?

Take off you panties, and put on your big boy pants. You've got a long way to go in this sport, and you'll get there faster by listening the advice of those who have been in your shoes before. Learn to sift through the sarcatic remarks and infalmatory predictions about your life expectancty, and pick up on the underlying message.

That goes for all you 100-jump shitheads who are backing this guy up. All of you have a long way to go before you get to where I am, and there's a lot of shit between here and there. Shut your pie holes, and soak this shit up like a sponge. I'm not where I am by wide margin, nobody is after many years and 1000's of jumps. There were many, many very close calls where I dodged a bullet; some by dumb luck, and some because I paid attention to everything and when the shit was about to hit the fan, I knew which way to duck.

Exactly.

You all babble, you should have done this, you shouldn't have done this, I would have done this bla bla bla..

Yeh yeh, you people would have done a perfect save from a mal behind your PC in your warm room, you (nor me, nor anyone else) knows exactly how they're going to react to stressfull situations and even the almighty skygod with 10k jumps can fuck up on some kind of emergency..

So quit all the bullcrap and chill out with your "you're going to die, oh noes, look at your bad cutaway, look at you flying a cam at these jump numbers", I'm so fucking sick of this DZ.com bullshit!

Rant out.

Cute Sangi, very cute.

Yep, that was cute.......and true!

responding to a mal is more about an individuals ability to remain calm, analyze the situation and take appropriate action.

You say this based on what?

>>>Based on the fact that it is true. Unless you suggest someone should freak out, make knee jerk conclusions and act inappropriately.

I can't even pull my own cutaway without someone telling me I did it wrong.

What would you prefer? That anyone with a negative comment hold their tounge?

>>>There is a difference between constructive criticism and negativity.

>>>For example:

That goes for all you 100-jump shitheads........Shut your pie holes,

It is obvious that with all the time you had you could have pulled out your hook knife cut the offending line and landed the main there by reducing the risk of losing your camera/helmet, cut away handle, reserve handle, main parachute, free bag and paying for a reserve repack. Cheaper by far to replace one line.*

*Never take advice seriously you read on the intertubes from posters you don't know. ;)

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

RANT ON

I have 8 cutaways 5 of them on Capewell releases.
I KNOW exactly how I react in high speed stressfull situations... and even with that... SHIT CAN STILL HAPPEN.
I do have some history with packing excellence myself.:ph34r:

I think it rocks that Ridestrong is here to tell the story. I am certainly in the group of people that believes that any situation and landing you can walk away from is AWSUM!!!!

That said...

HE FUCKED UP

Its great he had the altitude to work with... but that may not always be the case.... when I look at that video.. it gives me the heebie jeebies... knowing that he is NOT taking care of BIZNESS in a timely manner.

WAY too much fucking around... a spining canopy eats altitude ... FAST... and the faster it goes.... the better chance you have of losing conscienceness.

I have a fast and hard rule..... do the fucking riggin on the ground... first and foremost...

I want a canopy over my head that is going to save my life.... not one that is trying to kill me.

If you are going to have a tude about people trying to give hard earned advice... guess what.. shit happens... when it happens to you... I hope you can walk away from it.

/RANT OFF

First off, I've only met one person who can put a camera on their head, turn it on, and actually, honestly, forget about it during the jump. The result is some of the most nauseating blair witch shit I have ever seen. Even when done well I consider inside video to be novelty footage that it's hard to watch a whole lot of, but that's just my opinion.

Regarding how you handled you mal, you need to understand that adding things to the skydive complicates your emergency procedure decision tree. It doesn't just add steps to existing decisions which, based on the way you handled the mal, appears to be how you are approaching things. You made one decision during your mal, "I can't land this." and then you executed a sequence of steps to fix the problem. That's all anyone can really expect of a jumper with a hundred or even a few hundred jumps. The problem is this sequence you planned and executed ended up being silly given what was actually going on. And as another person pointed out, unclipping your helmet and having it come off your head in the middle of a main release and skyhook deployment actually made the situation more dangerous.

I agree with the "more flies with honey" argument, but I think it's pretty clear you've taken "shelving the camera for a while" off the table... so... best of luck with that.

I'm curious to what all these responces would have been had you not released your helmet strap...

I'm sure the responces would have gone something like...

"your an ass for not releasing your helmet first, what would have happened if you got your reserve lines caught in your helmet"

good job staying alive, good job staying calm.

It takes a bit of calmness to think about the possabillity of getting your helmet caught in your reserve lines, and then unclipping your helmet to avoid it, for your number of jumps and first mal i'm pretty impressed.

My only advice, which you can take it or leave...

Is to think about snag points on your helmet, and a way to insure that you don't have to take that extra step in the future (unstrapping a helmet before cutting away), its a cheap fix to put a cutaway handle on your helmet and i hope that will be your next step.
Although i'm pretty sure your gopro would have been ripped off before complicating your reserve deployment, i would not want to put it to chance.

Well done in staying alive. good luck in your skydiving future.

Sam C

Better tell the young uns what a Capewell is too:P

It's the vintage army surplus round system version of the modern 3ring release system..

From what I remember reading a real bitch to work with..

I'm curious to what all these responces would have been had you not released your helmet strap...

I'm sure the responces would have gone something like...

"your an ass for not releasing your helmet first, what would have happened if you got your reserve lines caught in your helmet"

I don't know you, Sam. No doubt you're a great guy and if I met you at the DZ I'd probably like you and drink a beer with you at the BF.

But based on the above, I have to say:

You, sir, are a moron.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Exactly.

Rant out.

You gotta love them 100 jump wonders :D

No offense intended buddy, but bookmark this thread and read it again when you have much more jumps. You will wonder who this overconfident Sangi guy is :P

I think the OP intended for this thread to be an "atta boy, well done on your thinking before chopping" love fest. When it was pointed out to him the numerous things that could have gone wrong, the things he did wrong, and some advice for the future it was meant to help him, and others, realize the things that can happen. The OP wasn't even sure why a hooked up RSL is a bad thing with the camera set up.
I don't think too many of the experienced jumpers that post advice here like to show off, or get a big ego boost out of it. Maybe some do. But I think most of them are like me, tired of seeing dumb shit knowitalls kill or injure themselves, regardless of how many jumps they have.
I have seen people with 1,000's of skydives do really stupid shit and kill themsleves or get wrecked, and some took out other innocent jumpers that got wrecked. It's not just the low timers that need to pay attention to what is discussed here.
When I started jumping I had some pretty good mentors at the DZ. When Jim Wallace or Dan BC would tell me something, I listened.
I have been patching up injured jumpers for 20 years. It really sucks to get your friends blood all over you because they just wouldn't listen. I have lost a lot of friends because they thought the knew better and didn't heed sound advice.
I see a lot of jumpers do some really dumb shit. When you call them out on it there are two reactions, denial-screw you, or thanks, I never thought about that.
I don't think the OP is gonna die any time soon on a jump. I don't think the, you're gonna die approach on the internet works very well.
What I think works well is for dumbshits(me included) of all jump numbers to pay the fuck attention. Someday some old fart may just say something that saves your life in the future.
We'll we have beaten this dead horse...

>I'm so fucking sick of all this DZ.Com Bullshit
Then get the fuck off of here then if that's your fucking attitude! I can't believe yours or ridestrongs I'm so fucking invincible attitudes. Look at my jump numbers. Not so high are they. Guess what? I started jumping a camera at about 30 jumps. At about 110 I started listening to the jumpers here that have been around for awhile and removed it and haven't put it back on and don't intend to. Maybe it's my age or maybe I'm just able to take advice from people who have been around for awhile and maybe, just maybe know what the fuck they're talking about. For fuck sake these guys maybe hard but it's only cause they don't want to see you take a dirt nap. So if you can't take it then go fucking cry someplace else.>:(

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

>I'm so fucking sick of all this DZ.Com Bullshit
Then get the fuck off of here then if that's your fucking attitude! I can't believe yours or ridestrongs I'm so fucking invincible attitudes. Look at my jump numbers. Not so high are they. Guess what? I started jumping a camera at about 30 jumps. At about 110 I started listening to the jumpers here that have been around for awhile and removed it and haven't put it back on and don't intend to. Maybe it's my age or maybe I'm just able to take advice from people who have been around for awhile and maybe, just maybe know what the fuck they're talking about. For fuck sake these guys maybe hard but it's only cause they don't want to see you take a dirt nap. So if you can't take it then go fucking cry someplace else.>:(

*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

For fuck sake these guys maybe hard but it's only cause they don't want to see you take a dirt nap.

Why do they care if any of us takes a dirt nap? It's not like they know us, not like they jump with us, not like they're going to jump with us in the future..

To care for someone, you have to know the person well.