ridestrong

Malfunction/Cutaway & Ground Crash Video

Maybe we can talk about how dangerous it really is to jump with a camera.
I think you were told already the reasons
I see 2 main risks with jumping video. 1. Loss of focus on altitude awareness. 2. Snag risk on opening. If you forget about the camera and only think about it at pull time you can eliminate #1 (an audible will help also). As for the snag risk you can minimize this by putting your head down (as Dave says in post #8). Other than putting your head down and pulling stable how many other ways are there to minimize the risks of a snag.Not having it on your head How do I learn/know these things?.... by reading posts from you guys.By talking to people that have the experience at your DZ

Just because I have worn a camera a few times does not mean I have a total disregard for safety and recommendations. YES IT DOES. Who are you kidding. I would say night jumps pose a much bigger risk than jumping with a camera yet the USPA says that's ok at 50 jumps. I AGREE So please tell me just how dangerous is jumping with a camera (GoPro). LOOK AT ALL THE THINGS YOU DID WRONG IN YOUR VIDEO AND TELL ME Is maintaining awareness and keeping your head down at pull time that difficult that someone with 200 jumps can do it better than someone with 100. YES The camera looks where I look, not the other way around.

Only a few of you have given some advice... I will listen to and take legitimate advice from those willing to give it, whether you believe that or not. Lets say for arguments sake I had 201 jumps when this video was shot. Was taking literally 2 seconds to undo the chin strap that bad of an idea. I was fully aware of my altitude and was under at 2K. Please don't just simply reply with "Dude, 2 seconds is all it takes."

In the next post you will see the USPA SIM basic info on camera use. Let's talk about it.

good luck and please talk to your instructors at your DZB|
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

It's a GoPro, what's the big deal with the snag thing, even if that tiny thing ever snagged it most likely would be ripped of the helmet during the cutaway, I don't see a big deal with that.

]

Yea I want to bet my life on most likely... That's the best I heard in here so far. I need to keep reading. Very entertaining if you ask me.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

lay the ego aside (we know you're cool, man, you're a jumper)

Far from it. And it's usually the ones that think skydiving makes them cool that are the worst. The problem is that there are two types of experienced jumpers.... the ones that actually do want to help, and then the ones who have never been cool or listened to in any other area of their life - but have longed to be - and they think that skydiving is finally their big chance. You know the type: their sport eats other sports for breakfast. They quote themselves in their own signatures with tales of fucking girls and smoking pot. They always pop up in threads like this calling people morons and telling low-timers to "lay the ego aside" (oh the irony), but if you look closely they add nothing new or useful, they just love to smugly beat up on a guy who made some mistakes and actually posted a video showing everybody how he messed up, in the hope that he could learn something from the more experienced jumpers.

A lot of jumpers use dz.com as another way to learn more about our sport, but I wonder how many new jumpers with valid questions just don't bother even asking because of threads like this.

Far from it. And it's usually the ones that think skydiving makes them cool that are the worst. The problem is that there are two types of experienced jumpers.... the ones that actually do want to help, and then the ones who have never been cool or listened to in any other area of their life - but have longed to be - and they think that skydiving is finally their big chance. You know the type: their sport eats other sports for breakfast. They quote themselves in their own signatures with tales of fucking girls and smoking pot. They always pop up in threads like this calling people morons and telling low-timers to "lay the ego aside" (oh the irony), but if you look closely they add nothing new or useful, they just love to smugly beat up on a guy who made some mistakes and actually posted a video showing everybody how he messed up, in the hope that he could learn something from the more experienced jumpers.

A lot of jumpers use dz.com as another way to learn more about our sport, but I wonder how many new jumpers with valid questions just don't bother even asking because of threads like this.

Nice

I'm not reading through this entire thread, as it is clear before I finish even page 1, what it is, and is going to even further - deteriorate into. [:/] So, if this is redundant, and been already brought up/"discussed" (such that "discussions" on here can oft times become), my most sincere and profuse of apologies.

I note a couple of quotes in here, right on the 1st page (remember, I've not bothered to go any further) several mentions of handles. However, hasn't anyone else in here noticed right from his very FIRST post - top of the string, in the still shot - or frame-grab taken at the moment his helmet was departing, shows CLEARLY that he used his cutaway pillow as an "SOS"?

Guess I must be just another of those over 1k jump a-holes, but someone please, close to this jumper - have a talk with him about his EP's, and COMPLETING his procedures. I see in another thread separately elsewhere, that he is now also apparentely considering disconnecting his RSL for his camera jumps too! B| - Arrrrgggghhhh....

Blues,
-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

....and COMPLETING his procedures. I see in another thread separately elsewhere, that he is now also apparentely considering disconnecting his RSL for his camera jumps too! B| - Arrrrgggghhhh....

Blues,
-Grant

Hey Grant, yeah most of that was already discussed... I don't think I ever said I would disconnect my RSL, probably just the opposite. I have no intentions of disconnecting it whether I'm jumping with camera or not.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

You give every appearance of being a grave danger to yourself and others.

Ignorance is cured by active learning and experience. In your case, I recommend the learning portion first.

You are in desperate need of mentoring. Please seek same at your DZ.
A round is formation, not something to jump.

It's a GoPro, what's the big deal with the snag thing, even if that tiny thing ever snagged it most likely would be ripped of the helmet during the cutaway, I don't see a big deal with that.

2k feet under a reserve, it's not bad, specially when he has a skyhook RSL, not a huge problem to cutaway low and survive.

I noticed a lot of you tend to claim that this is bad, that is bad, this can go wrong etc.. But you never actually show us an example. Please show me a fatality or a serious injury caused specifically by a GoPro cam (excluding ALL the rest of cams).

I know I am resurrecting an old thread/post. But... there was just a fatality that has been caused by GoPro directly.

read here : http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2931621#2931621

2k feet under a reserve, it's not bad, specially when he has a skyhook RSL, not a huge problem to cutaway low and survive.

I noticed a lot of you tend to claim that this is bad, that is bad, this can go wrong etc.. But you never actually show us an example. Please show me a fatality or a serious injury caused specifically by a GoPro cam (excluding ALL the rest of cams).

I know I am resurrecting an old thread/post. But... there was just a fatality that has been caused by GoPro directly.

read here : http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2931621#2931621

Mind sharing with those of us who dont have BASE Jumper accounts?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

4.20, her 3rd jump of the day. with a couple of people we were standing on top of the tower. Buffy launched on the left site of the tower with a slight wind from the right. this was her first, or one of her first hand held jumps from this object.
her exit was a little head low. she hold her pilot tight and totally closed in her hand. she pitched after half a second. The pitch was firm, but a little low.
Her bridle entangled (about 60 cm below the pilot) her gopro, what was attached on her helmet. she tried to fight it off, but was too late. her canopy was inflating on the moment of impact.
the combination of the low height (for incidents as this), the head low, the pitch, wind and the gopro became fatal.
fly free buffy, we had fun, mazzels!

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.