Cez23

Need feedback from skydivers who use smoke.

We are a mechanical engineering design team at Fresno State in Fresno, Ca. and we are looking for feedback from skydivers who use smoke or have used smoke on their jumps. We are looking to design a new product or improve an existing product that holds smoke canisters or flares during your jump. We want to know what the skydiving community would like to see on these devices that allow you to use smoke during your jumps. Let us know of any problems or experiences you have had during your jump that involved smoke. Examples: safety, comfort, quick release, materials, mounting options, etc. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Make it easier to ship, make it burn cooler and produce more smoke (density is important) and have two ways to ignite it. Avoiding sparks would be really nice for canopy longevity.

Quick release is generally a problem; you do NOT want to drop a smoke canister into an apartment building!

I have two models, which have evolved from years of
inventing copying, refinement, etc. They both have been used-probably hundreds of times, without incident. I manufacture them.

Please email me at [email protected]

I have personally used smoke in freefall, which continues to burn while under canopy, several hundred times.

I have heard and seen of a few incidents, which would have presented a danger to persons on the ground, as well as the skydiver. Please email me and I'll fill you in in detail

the slag burns holes in the canopy
how about something thats cheap and can be tossed after using that will keep the slag contained but allow the smoke out?

miles and the redbull guys have an interesting setup.

please no replies about cutting a coke can up and putting it over the smoke. its a pain.
The future is yours to destroy. SonicBeef #133

the slag burns holes in the canopy
how about something thats cheap and can be tossed after using that will keep the slag contained but allow the smoke out?

miles and the redbull guys have an interesting setup.

please no replies about cutting a coke can up and putting it over the smoke. its a pain.

I use a piece of prefabed screen that fits into my bracket, no freefall or canopy slag...costs about fifty cents.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I use a piece of prefabed screen that fits into my bracket, no freefall or canopy slag...costs about fifty cents.

picture?

I'll post a couple when I get back home, I'm outta state this week...

Basically it's a 'star' shaped piece of steel screen material, bend the points of the start around the base of the smoke and secure with the rear retaining clamp, you leave an inch or so between the exhaust hole and the screen face to catch the slag & ash.

The older M-18s throw more hot stuff out than the newer ones...the most junk comes out right after pulling the pin, the sparks etc from the fuse.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~