Mr17Hz

What is your dropzone's tandem weight limit? Does your dropzone charge extra over a certain weight?

I am editing my manifest management software to accomidate student weights in a more advanced way. Part of the requirements for this dropzone is that they charge extra for each pound over a certain threshold. I am wondering how common this is? How many dropzones would benefit from software that would be able to calculate prices automatically by customer weight?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

I am editing my manifest management software to accomidate student weights in a more advanced way. Part of the requirements for this dropzone is that they charge extra for each pound over a certain threshold. I am wondering how common this is?

Whats the reasoning behind the policy?. I can see a lot of people being upset at price differentiation because of weight. Ridiculous!!.

Our DZ is 95 kg max. It makes absolutely no difference if the weight is on or below the limit.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I am editing my manifest management software to accomidate student weights in a more advanced way. Part of the requirements for this dropzone is that they charge extra for each pound over a certain threshold. I am wondering how common this is?

Whats the reasoning behind the policy?. I can see a lot of people being upset at price differentiation because of weight. Ridiculous!!.

Our DZ is 95 kg max. It makes absolutely no difference if the weight is on or below the limit.

I don't know the reason. It may have something to do with the fact that on airports with multiple dropzones there are often major price wars when it comes to advertised prices. I don't even know how much or at what threshold. I don't make the rules I just digitize them!
Matt Christenson

[email protected]

Our DZ charges the same price no matter what you weigh.

I've been to some that charge $1 per pound over 200 and give that money directly to the tandem master.

I think it's totally acceptable to charge more when its going to put more strain on the TM and the gear.

If the pax has a problem with it, they can loose some weight or go bowling. :P

The future belongs to those of us still willing to get our hands dirty.

I think it's totally acceptable to charge more when its going to put more strain on the TM and the gear.

Most TM's will tell you they have more problems with the featherweights rather than the big boys.

And a few pounds over 200 on the gear makes no difference at all. Its rated to handle it or it shouldn't be in service.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

$1 per pound over 220. The extra goes to the TM directly. I've heard others charge $1 over 185 lbs. It boils down to a business decision and if the customer doesn't like the policy, there are other DZ's for them to choose from (or not). Jumping 130lb passenger is not the same as jumping (landing) a 250lb passenger and I don't have a problem with the extra compensation for the TM.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

>And a few pounds over 200 on the gear makes no difference at all. Its
>rated to handle it or it shouldn't be in service.

Depends on the TM, obviously; taking heavier passengers means the TM has to be lighter to keep the weight under the limit for the system. And heavier loads do wear the gear faster.

95 kilos is a pretty low weight limit compared to most US dropzones. I'll admit that I'm far from the world's strongest or most physically fit tandem instructor but a day of 200 lb students is just another day, while I wouldn't make it through a day of 230s.

1)It's additional wear an tear on the gear.

2)It's additional time to altitude, and higher fuel burn.

3)It's additional wear and tear on the instructor's shoulders.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Agreeing with induz and diablopilot.

Pitt Meadows has a published weight limit of 230 pounds for male students and 200 pounds for female students. Anything more than that requires the TIs approval. Manifest gets embarrassed about charging a "fat tax" so no extra money changes hands.
Back when I was young and beautiful, I once took a 270 pound (retired rugby player with legs like tree trunks) student. That jump was HARD WORK, even with plenty of help from the student.
After the King Air crash, I cut back to the old 230 pound limit. Now, only most arrogant TI in Pitt Meadows still jumps with 270 pound students.
My experience has been that any time you hang more than 400 pounds of human meat under a SET 400, it becomes too much like work.

>>Does your dropzone charge extra over a certain weight?

No. We have found that it makes happier customers if you are not insulting to them by charging a "fat fee". Imagine that:S. And happy customers return and tell their friends good things. Its just good business to not do it. 230 lbs is the weight limit for both the DZ and me personally. Anyone who looks like they might be over 200 steps on the scale.

No. We have found that it makes happier customers if you are not insulting to them by charging a "fat fee". Imagine that:S. And happy customers return and tell their friends good things. Its just good business to not do it. 230 lbs is the weight limit for both the DZ and me personally. Anyone who looks like they might be over 200 steps on the scale.

Are they happier when you turn them away because they weigh 231?

Wouldn't some of them be happier to pay a bit more, and not be left out?

Are they happier when you turn them away because they weigh 231?

Wouldn't some of them be happier to pay a bit more, and not be left out?

If they are 231 and in good shape, we can send them with a lighter instructor who is willing. Common sense still applies but we don't do a fat fee. If they are 501 total lbs between student, instuctor and all gear then its a no go. Rules are rules.

Most TM's will tell you they have more problems with the featherweights rather than the big boys.

And a few pounds over 200 on the gear makes no difference at all. Its rated to handle it or it shouldn't be in service.

I'll be glad to take all those feather butts off their hands, then.:D

Sure, you have to work a little harder to ensure stability for the drogue toss, but overall, lighter is easier, from hookup to landing. My biggest ever? 270#. Was it okay? Yeah. Was it comfortable? No.

My main DZ doesn't charge overages, but some I've worked at did. I like the extra dough. I don't mind, though, if you put the cutoff at 225. With fat America the way it is today, that's not that big. :S:D

Again, I don't make the rules I just digitize them, but just to ad some more insight to the conversation, the starting price for a tandem at this facility is $125, and they will never take anyone over 250... How many others have prices close to $125 for a tandem? I think it's an unfortunate product of local competition.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]