happythoughts

hybrid breakoff

When I've been on hybrids each group has a breakoff altitude, which is staged. The freeflyers (no matter whether they're hanging or stinging) are gone a good 1000-2000 feet higher than the belly flyers (exact difference dependent on how big/experienced the group is). They should be well out of the way before the belly flyers start to track.

Of course, always good to have an "if everything went to shit and we're all back on our bellies to regroup" alternative tracking plan, which would probably be no different than a belly jump of the same size/mix of experience levels.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've been on hybrids in the 15+ range. Breakoff was
planned like you mentioned. The 4 people doing standups left early. Two doing sit stayed longer.

Today, I got into a discussion on smaller stuff.
Lots of new people doing 2-flat, 1 chest strap hanger
or 4-flat, 2 hangers.

The 2/1 groups don't seem to be planning
a good breakoff and it concerns me.
Wondered what others were doing.

I've been on hybrids in the 15+ range. Breakoff was
planned like you mentioned. The 4 people doing standups left early. Two doing sit stayed longer.

Today, I got into a discussion on smaller stuff.
Lots of new people doing 2-flat, 1 chest strap hanger
or 4-flat, 2 hangers.

The 2/1 groups don't seem to be planning
a good breakoff and it concerns me.
Wondered what others were doing.

I've always done it that way even with the smallest groups. I can still remember my :D hybrid at 50ish jumps, two-way base, single hanger and being 1) shocked that we pulled it off :D and 2) surprised at how fast the hanger disappeared when he dropped off (and the two of us in the base hung out for another 1,000 feet).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

when I did a hybrid yesterday (2 flat, 1 sit) the freeflyer came onto his belly for a few seconds before break off so we were all on the same level.

If someone can transition back without corking, that would
make it easier for me.
My main issue is losing sight of that third person.

If they are 500 ft below, I am concerned that people can't
find them and track over them.

When we had 4 people doing verticals underneath us,
the freeflyers were very experienced and discussed a careful breakoff plan with us.

I have concerns for new jumpers who may not track effectively or be aware of other jumpers yet.

The two choices seem to be -
transition to flat and track with the group,
or leave early and have a clear tracking plan.

For small groups up to 4-5 people you can also make a hybrid break-off. Freeflyers can go from sit/stand-up to backflying and go in a backtracking while the belly-flyers go in normal tracking. This way everyone can see each other. This compensates for the minimal altitude difference between the belly-flyers and the freeflyers after letting go.

Another way to break-off is to let the Freeflyers go up and down the line of flight 500ft earlier then the belly-flyers who will take the left and right side of jumprun for their tracking or vice versa.

Doing backtracking for the freeflyers and normal tracking for the belly-flyers will be much safer because when you do it right everyone can see each other. Freeflyers these days are used to doing backtracking.
Blue skies!

when I did a hybrid yesterday (2 flat, 1 sit) the freeflyer came onto his belly for a few seconds before break off so we were all on the same level.

+1

Done quite a few hybrids, both base and hanger. Was a hanger on a hybrid for my 200th and that is how we did it. Dropped from the base and went right to belly, got on same level and tracked off as a group. Seems ridiculous to have the hangers FF down below the base fliers and then possibly end up tracking directly under them.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I've done quite a few hybrids as a hanger and we usually plan for the hangers and freeflyers to break at 5000' and track. The belly flyers ( usually a 4 way breaking at 4000').
this gives lots of separation. Being a hanger and dropping off at 5000' i have a good view of everyone above me and I can track away on my back keeping everyone in sight.

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

How do you handle it ?

The bellyflyers are going to break off and track at assigned altitudes.

My question relates to the hangers who are in a sit or stand.
How can the bellyflyers keep track of where the hangers are ?

"They are down there somewhere..."

I did my first (and so far only) hybrid on jump 35. It was a 4-way (2 belly, 1 hanger, and one head down). I flew belly.

Our break off was at 6,500 feet... I'm the highest puller out of all of us (4,500 feet)... so we all got more than enough separation. As for the hanger... he just fell straight down, leveled out, got stable, and pulled. So, yea.. he was "down there somewhere," but since the rest of us tracked away from the center, we weren't all that concerned.

I did do a 3-way horny gorilla where we flew apart resulting in meat missiles. I found one guy... but lost track of the other guy who decided to backloop his way down to his pull altitude. Of course then I was concerned.. because he was "down there somewhere" and couldn't see him. So, I decided to track hard at our normal break off altitude.
Don't forget to pull!

is it still a hybrid if im on my belly at 158 mph and my buddy is h/d? sit transitioning ? we got 2 h/d and 2 sit docks on one the other weekend.B|B|B|B|B|B|

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .