regulator

Good way to exit front floater

You're describing it correctly. You were doing a fun jump and they were going all 4-way geek on you. ;)

:D:D:D

So busted. :D

well, he did say "4way exits"..... :)

the assumption I made was that his reference to "front floater" was just OC. Not 3 out, or 8 way launches or anything else. (Though I do think about 8way outside people as just hips leading and get that 45 degree stairstep picture in place for all 5 of the chunk)

However, the mechanics are similar for any outside exit - do what it take to present that hip to the wind. "think" whatever works for you to think - or not, if that works for you. Etc. Lots of pretty good advice so far in the thread.

Earlier...
"The position I was having problems with is with 3 people outside and I am closest to the wing..."

He mentions 3 outside and he's doing 4-way, so one is inside.
Even with the inside taking chest straps and aggressively coming out...
that 3-way will whip around or fold.
No structural integrity, not an easy launch. Making life hard on himself.

He also describes "base" as what 4-way people call "tail".

I suggested the 2-out, 2-in standard configuration
to aid in his learning curve.

Talk to Demo or Debbie G. about this; I'm not going to be at the DZ much in the next few weeks, but they both do a lot of jumping and talking with folks at Spaceland.

And if I'm there, feel free to come by too. I'll jump with you if I'm not already committed.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Even with the inside taking chest straps and aggressively coming out...

I understand you. And I agree with 2/2 (unless you are launching from a King Air with big people - then I have some lineups that work pretty decent there instead)

But the above :S - big kids take grippers and learn to fly - no cheststraps allowed. Issues with 3/1 launches are usually a very late launch and presentation by the inside guy, and/or poor presentation by the FF. ((occasionally the random outside guy leaves a foot on the plane - :D))

The inside guy needs to stand in the BIG GIANT DOOR in the orientation he needs on exit (r. hip and elbow high, angled rearward) - too many inside people stand square to the door and horizontal instead of presented to the front of the plane and pointing a bit rearward. This is really a problem with the front inside - guess they are scared that the wind - this one time- won't be toward the tail????:P

It's really annoying on 8 way when you need to fit 3 people in there and the inside people try to go straight out with horizontal shoulders....... but that's a digression.

Cheststraps - Tucking an arm under another jumper is really counter productive even if it seems to be easier. regardless of 3/1, 2/2, or bigger ways. I'm not a fan of it at all. and you have to then also wait to build the first point as grip switching (totally unnecessary if you launch correctly anyway) is now the delay.

imo

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ok, that clears it up. We were discussing two jumps.

If you are light, you may want to try a weight belt.
Just a few lbs so you don't struggle to stay down.
Otherwise, you may reach down and come over the top.
(experiment with diff amounts)

For exits, 4-way can teach you a lot.
There are many great examples in the dive pool.

If you get some friends together, and plan to do
some 4-way regularly, you can get some pointers
on exits from other 4-way people.

I have found that I can spend 100 jumps figuring
something out, or just spend a day with a coach and
they tell me. (If 4 people split the cost of a 4-way
coach for a day, it isn't that expensive.)
B|

Sounds like you are on the right track.
:)

On my 2nd jump that we completed the 4-way and I was in the 'tail' position...Demo was jumping with me. So I'll hit him and and ask him for further advice about how to launch front floater better. Thanks for everyones replies. I am trying my best to soak it all in and apply it when I am outside the door ready to exit.:P

Work on 1-2 things each jump; if you try to learn everything at once you'll never remember exactly what it was that you mastered.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Vskydiver just posted a 3 way exit from the other week. I'm FF, Roo is RF, and V is inside. I think you'll see the foot, hand and hip thing all working together like everyone's been saying.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1008851194&v=wall&story_fbid=166097776740936&il=0#!/video/video.php?v=439249626902&comments&il=0¬if_t=video_reply