SRI85

GOpro with low jump number

>But like i said before, MUCH less involved then being fully kitted out to
>FILM a skydive.

Actually there's just as much involved because you now have a much more snag-prone system - and you're trying to ignore it, which is a very, very bad idea. It's like strapping a load to the top of your car, then driving pretending it's not there.

If you want to do video, make a bunch of jumps, learn whatever discipline you want to video, get good advice, get a good camera helmet, then make some jumps actually videoing some good people. You will learn a lot - and end up being a safer video person in the end.

Jeff,
your story must not be true, because every one knows GoPro mounts and nylon nuts will shear when placed under a load.
Except...an archery scale says 200lbs of force below the base on a GP mount, almost 50lbs on the plastic before it shears. Never tested nylon nuts, but your story indicates that they won't always shear as expected.

So many of the younger jumpers seem to think they've got it all figured out but the truth is, many have not yet figured out what questions to ask, let alone the answers.[:/]
Your story is one I frequently use; the video is scary to watch and hear.

Is the video posted somewhere?

Being a new jumper (and one that absolutely does not plan on wearing a camera any time within the next couple years) I'm always interested in seeing malfunction videos. I am under the impression that since I can't experience it first hand, the more times I can see them, the more likely I am going to be able to react quicker and recognize the issue quicker, and hopefully complete EPs quicker. The more times I can sear that image into my brain, the more equipped I will be to handle the situation when (not if) the time comes.

Go pros, contours and the like can and regularly are, at least for the people I jump with, set it and forget it video loggers capturing inside video.

I always thought that Gopros or Contours on a beginners helmet were 'set it and ask around while on jumprun if the red light is on' gadgets...

Then again they can be easily mistaken for 'whats with this battery?', 'How do you turn of that laser?' or 'It was in single photo mode' gadgets...

:P:S

As for snagging of bridles or risers or RSL's or control lines:

"You Payzzz Your Duezzz and You Takezz your chances..."

Things have changed, get over it.

So you really DO believe that you'll be able to devise completely and fundamentally new, never heard of methods how to remove yourself from the gene pool, while skydiving?

Got a youtube channel? ;)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

It depends on the system... the snag.... the person....

Then maybe you should not just say, "If it takes you more than 2-3 seconds to unbuckle your helmet then yeah... you have problems."

If I have a known horseshoe malfunction that is connected to my helmet cam and going directly over my reserve.. yeah I'm going to try to get my helmet off... even if I have just a few seconds to spare before hard deck, and sure as hell if I have 10-15 seconds to spare...

Lots of people have died trying to perform in air rigging.

Fact is... WE ALL have the opportunity to die in this sport EVERY TIME we jump out of that airplane. We can discuss these subjects or just brush them off with off-topic replies and underhanded comments.

Ah, but the key is to minimize the risk by following best practices. Something you seem to have zero interest in doing.

I am going to get re-rated on a different tandem system (it is the first system I was rated on years ago, but have not jumped it in 8 years)... The DZ that I will be working at has the TI's wear Go Pro's on their hand.

Now, do you think I am gonna just strap on a Go Pro while re-learning the system? Nope.... I will be passing up money to limit the distractions and take them one at a time.

A very wise skydiver told me many years ago that the secret to surviving this sport is to only change one thing at a time.... And only add distractions once you have the other layers of performance second nature.

It is pretty clear you are not an idiot... even clear that you don't panic. But it is ALSO clear that you only have a half assed at best understanding of MANY things in skydiving as evidenced by your cutting away your helmet before a very clean cutaway. You took something someone typed on DZ.com about not wearing an RSL since it could cause an entanglement issue, and having the ability to cutaway a camera *IF* it entangles and took it all the way to cutting away the helmet *BEFORE* you cut away...... A leap in "logic" that no one advocated.

That kind of 'creative' thinking is dangerous and shows how much of a rookie you are. Now I am glad you didn't get hurt, but I am also glad your camera helmet didn't slam into someone on the ground.

It is also clear that you really have zero interest in listening to anyone that does not agree with your position.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Jeff,
your story must not be true, because every one knows GoPro mounts and nylon nuts will shear when placed under a load.
Except...an archery scale says 200lbs of force below the base on a GP mount, almost 50lbs on the plastic before it shears. Never tested nylon nuts, but your story indicates that they won't always shear as expected.

As sadly proved on the latest base fatallity, bridal sngged on go pro, from a lowish object.....

I'm not sure if i mind low time jumpers wearing cameras, but i think they should all have cutaway systems on them..

good point...

down and dirty
IS down and DIRTY...
the slow freefall speed may have complicated things allowing the bridle/p.c. to grab, in the first place..
either it clears immediately,,, or the jumper clears it, ( or cuts it away) ONLY
too late....
sad...

why can't someone design a molded helmet strictly FOR these small cameras...
NOT as dramatic as what Amazon posted,,,:o:)
but something molded and designed so the camera body goes INSIDE the helmet, with just the lens and control switch(es) accessible, instead of ON the helmet, where it absolutely CAN be a problem....
jt

a cutaway helmet would not typically help in a situation like this latest incident would it?

Doubtful. Mostly becasue there's no way to cutaway the canopy. In skydiving you can cut away both items that are entangled, that being the helmet and the canopy.

Even if you could have cut away the helmet in this latest incident, the question then becomes if the PC has enough drag to lift the helmet and deploy the canopy at the same time. Maybe so, maybe no, maybe in enough time to get some inflation, maybe not.

This goes for skydiving as well as BASE jumping, why even bother wearing a camera unless there is something to video? Doing a solo or a short delay seems like a stupid place to have a camera, and not because of the fataility, but just becasue there's nothing to film, so you're taking the added risk for no reason.

NOT as dramatic as what Amazon posted,,,
but something molded and designed so the camera body goes INSIDE the helmet, with just the lens and control switch(es) accessible, instead of ON the helmet, where it absolutely CAN be a problem....

I don't think the market would supprt an all new design of that type. Today the GoPro is all the rage, and maybe tomorrow it's the Contour, or some other brand we haven't seen yet. What does the manufacturer do with all helmet they already made, all the tooling to make those helmets, and all the time they spent designing them.

By the time the PC series cameras came out, Sony was pretty well established as THE standard for skydiving cameras, and in true Sony form, they used the same body for many different models of cameras, just with varying levels of features installed. For this reason, it was easier for manufacturers to build the model-specific boxes for the Sony cameras. Keep in mind that even then, these were just boxes, not complete helmets.

Fast forward a few years when Sony went ape shit with the PC cameras, and there were like 10 different models popluar for jumping, and they were all different sizes. This is about the same time you started to see the 'generic' sized boxes where the jumper had to trim the box, or pad out the inside. The reason for this is the same reason you won't see a GoPro specific helmet, there's just not enough business out there for model specific designs.

I propose this solution, nobody jump a camera of any kind until they have the skills and know-how to safely set-up a camera helmet, fly the camera in the proper manner. There, I said it.

I propose this solution, nobody jump a camera of any kind until they have the skills and know-how to safely set-up a camera helmet, fly the camera in the proper manner. There, I said it.

CRAZY TALK! You're just old fashioned. Haven't you been informed by a more modern jumper that times have changed??

Dave

Haven't you been informed by a more modern jumper that times have changed??

Yeah, times have changed, but not in the ways the new guys think.

What's new is the internet, and yes, specifically DZ.com. There is so much good information availble about virtually anything related to skydiving on the internet, and now thet everyone is online (and I do mean everyone), there's no excuse for being a dumb-ass.

It wasn't that long ago that a DZ could be 'cut off' from the rest of the world. At a small Cessna DZ in the north where they only jump in the summer, it was possible that no visting jumpers would show up with new ideas, and if the DZO and staff didn't travel in the winter, it wasn't odd to find a DZ that was a few years behind the times.

I remember when freeflying was new, the first time I heard about head down was from an instructor who used to summer in Ohio and then winter in Deland. Anyway, he's telling me about it and describing the body position, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. There were no pictures published anywhere, no videos had been released (VHS no less), so I had no concpet of what he was saying. It wasn't until we did a jump together that I finally 'got' it. I was in a sit (as usual) and he flipped over to head down. It tool all of 3 seconds for my understanding to become crystal clear, but without that example in front of me, I was lost.

Back to today, nobody has any excuse to be 'lost' about anything, to include being smart about cameras, camera helmets, and camera flying. Things have changed, and what has chnaged is that you have to be an ENORMOUS asshole to still be doing dumb things at the DZ and thinking that it OK.

all you old fogeys need to get with the times. stop standing in the way of the innevitable march of progress! noobs snapping their necks on gopros is the wave of the future and if you can't accept that you're just going to be left behind.

And that's kinda the point of this discussion, isn't it? Most of us "old fogeys" would rather you not go before us. :P

good point...

down and dirty
IS down and DIRTY...
the slow freefall speed may have complicated things allowing the bridle/p.c. to grab, in the first place..
either it clears immediately,,, or the jumper clears it, ( or cuts it away) ONLY
too late....
sad...

NOT as dramatic as what Amazon posted,,,:o:)
jt

AWWW come on man.... I liked that idea for a skydiving helmet:)

I think that would make a GREAT Skydiving helmet... Maybe Bonehead will come out with a Conehead helmet:):):)

I would love to have one of those for speed diving.. I could get 400MPH for sure.... but the rules tate only regular skydiving gear can be used in competition:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

My camera setup... shoots 480P. Close proximity video looks great, any significant distance not so great. $30 with 8GB micro SD card. Attached with basic velcro.

100% snag hazard free.

Not 100% distraction free.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

when it comes to speed skydiving...
Amazon should be WRITING the rules,, and not finding Herself being held Back, by them...:|

and like the streamlined helmets of speed bicyclists, i CAN see where the conehead design has aerodynamic advantages !!!.
so... Might as well mount a STACK of cameras inside the shell...
Only thing.... watch yourself @ climbout!!!

jmy

There are few things in this sport that are 100% anything....
but I'd say that camera is reasonably snag-free. I'm not worried about the "snag-free" in this instance. It's a camera, cameras are distractions.

There is a guy that came to Chicks Rock.
One of a handful of new jumps on a new rig.
Demo canopy (Pulse, so it's docile and has a very long glide).
Heli jump.
Borrowed a helmet and GoPro from another skydiver.
In his YouTube video, you can see him dicking around from the low exit.
You can hear his audible go off, and see him realize how low he is.
Then after he does deploy, he nearly pulls his risers into line twists and then screws around with the canopy for a bit, giving himself cool hand signs in the camera lens (first camera and first heli jump).
He left at the same altitude as others, but couldn't make it to the DZ.
Would the same have occurred without the camera? Perhaps.
Hopefully someday he'll look back at the YouTube vid and realize "I wasn't thinking too well in this jump..."

Question - how is jumping a camera on a solo (why anyone would want to I dont know but they do) any more distracting than a newer jumper trying to remember which point to turn on a 4 way? Or an 8 way?
Seems that anything can be a distraction if you allow it to be...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Question - how is jumping a camera on a solo (why anyone would want to I dont know but they do) any more distracting than a newer jumper trying to remember which point to turn on a 4 way? Or an 8 way?
Seems that anything can be a distraction if you allow it to be...

The solo you dont have 3 other jumpers tracking away showing its time to think about opening your parachute... ;)