SRI85

GOpro with low jump number

>If you do it you should get an audible altimeter

The very last thing you need after you get a complex piece of electronics equipment to distract you while skydiving is another complex piece of electronics to distract you while skydiving.

Make a few dozen jumps. Get a dytter if you like. Then make some more jumps; learn to fly relative with a group. Get some experience with various helmets, canopies, exit altitudes, jumpsuits and the like. _Then_ add a camera. Doing it in the opposite order is a recipe for disaster.

@billvon -- it's a USPA recommendation -- no need for double talk/non-sense

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section6/tabid/169/Default.aspx#983

7. Recommended accessory equipment

a. audible altimeter

b. visual altimeter that can be seen while photographing

c. hook knife

My plan is to have at least my C license before I start jumping a go pro. If you think the SIM is outdated and become tired of listening to advice from people with way more experience than you do ...then perhaps you should try a new hobby. They aren't making those reccomendations to be assholes...they are trying to save your (and hopefully someone else's) life...

Ok.

You just earned a couple points on the good side of the scale..... well done:)

>billvon -- it's a USPA recommendation -- no need for
>double talk/non-sense

My recommendation stands. Use a dytter FIRST. Wait until you have 200 jumps or so, get experience flying relative to other people, flying different jumpsuits, canopies etc - THEN start jumping a camera if that's your goal.

Don't pay no mind to those old wind bags', you'll be fine, but it would be best to get two, 1. for your head & 1 for your wrist, you can get a beeping thing for your ear and an FXC AAD for your main, set the beeping thing for the AAD on your main to fire so you'll know it's coming, if that fails to work, don't sweat it.... just stay stable till your AAD on your reserve fires... be sure to set the beeping thing for the second set of beeps to the reserve AAD firing altitude, that way should your second AAD not fire, you can decide who on the DZ it is you dislike the most so you can track towards them or their car in the parking lot as a last resort.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

So whats everyones thought on jumping with a go pro camera, and having less then 100 jumps? I know the sim says 200 jumps, but i kinda feel this is outdated and doesnt consider how small cameras have gotten. The biggest thing i hear is that it is a snag hazard. Well if the go pro is mounted in the very front of the helmet , and i keep my head slighty down, i think a snag would be pretty tough to encounter. Im just looking to get a POV type footage and not really film others.

Hi SR

If you have the time read the incident report about about the 100 jump guy who knew he was ready to jump a wingsuit.

One DZ in Fl told him no he needeed a minimum of 200 jumps to jump a WS (Chuck Blue you the man). The guy went to a DZ down the road where he knew some people and he got to make 2 wingsuit jumps.

Read the incident report to find out why he never jumped againB|
One Jump Wonder

Short answer: Bad idea.

Longer answer: Bad idea. It is a distraction you don't need

Long answer: A buddy was getting ready to do his 500th jump. He wanted someone to video him videoing the tandem. So he asked me and my 200(?) jump badass self to fly second camera. We put together a camera system and long story short.... I almost ended up a crater on the DZ. I saw the horizon flash by my feet and I rolled over and tossed instinctively my main while I reached for the reserve. I got a main about ~300 feet AGL.

GREAT VIDEO!!!! I wish I knew how to transfer it from VHS to digital so I could post it.

The details are not important, but the fact is I got distracted and almost paid with my life. Most considered me to be a pretty heads up guy at the time.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Fatality in Utah in '07 is another fine example of someone jumping something they should not have been due to a lack of experience.

There are times where you don't have enough experience to know what you don't know.
This sport is not kind to a lack of experience.

Don't pay no mind to those old wind bags', you'll be fine, but it would be best to get two, 1. for your head & 1 for your wrist, you can get a beeping thing for your ear and an FXC AAD for your main, set the beeping thing for the AAD on your main to fire so you'll know it's coming, if that fails to work, don't sweat it.... just stay stable till your AAD on your reserve fires... be sure to set the beeping thing for the second set of beeps to the reserve AAD firing altitude, that way should your second AAD not fire, you can decide who on the DZ it is you dislike the most so you can track towards them or their car in the parking lot as a last resort.

Awesome. :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Go for it. What could possibly go wrong. All those people saying it's a bad idea are just old boring fuckers who don't want you to progress because they're afraid you'll be better than they are. What the hell do they think they know anyway, with all their jumps and years in sport? Asswipes.

Yea baby, yea!
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

So whats everyones thought on jumping with a go pro camera, and having less then 100 jumps? I know the sim says 200 jumps, but i kinda feel this is outdated and doesnt consider how small cameras have gotten. The biggest thing i hear is that it is a snag hazard. Well if the go pro is mounted in the very front of the helmet , and i keep my head slighty down, i think a snag would be pretty tough to encounter. Im just looking to get a POV type footage and not really film others.

Fuck the SIM. Just use common sense and stay withinin your comfort level/level of risk tolerance.

According to the SIM, you also don't need instruction before jumping a wingsuit if you have 500 jumps, and any size canopy/wingloading is also okay. :S

Jumping with a camera is a bad idea no matter how many jumps you have, but then again, so is skydiving and marriage...
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

Hi SR

If you have the time read the incident report about about the 100 jump guy who knew he was ready to jump a wingsuit.

One DZ in Fl told him no he needeed a minimum of 200 jumps to jump a WS (Chuck Blue you the man). The guy went to a DZ down the road where he knew some people and he got to make 2 wingsuit jumps.

How do I find this incident report?
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

Hi SR

And then ask me how PISSED I am at him for thinking the rules didn't apply to him. I miss him still but he shouldn't have lied. >:(
Always be kinder than you feel.

Hi SR

And then ask me how PISSED I am at him for thinking the rules didn't apply to him. I miss him still but he shouldn't have lied. >:(

He was not the first... and he will definitely not be the last.

I can think of more than one person who paid with their life, by thinking the hard won knowledge in this sport, did not apply to them.

No matter how hard you try...... some people are going to claim they are making an "informed choice" and end up hurting or killing themselves because they did not get informed quite enough.[:/]

>No matter how hard you try...... some people are going to claim they
>are making an "informed choice" and end up hurting or killing themselves
>because they did not get informed quite enough.

When Jack Gramley was running Perris, the most common line he heard when he got out to the latest double femur or pelvis was "I thought I had it!" No one told him "well, I was pushing the limits and got bit" - it seemed that the most common sentiment was "well shit! Who could have seen that coming? I figured I was OK."

There's getting to be a serious disconnect between what people perceive of risk and what the risks actually are. I'm all for people taking risks if they understand them - but all too often they simply have no clue. They base their perception of risk on what one guy at their DZ says, or what they see in a video, or what one guy on DZ.com says. Once they have that accident and realize they will never walk again they have a better understanding of those risks - but it's a little too late then.

And sure, maybe all my warnings make me some old conservative fossil who just doesn't "get it" or who doesn't want anyone else to do that cool thing. But if those warnings get even a few people to think about risks before that crippling injury (or worse) it's worth it.

There is a very strong disconnect in our current culture that confuses CGI/PS3/XBox "death but hey... I re-spawn " with real risk.

Electronic risk makes people cocky intellectually and more conservative physically because they can't see the real, physical stuff without superimposing Hollywood...
Owned by Remi #?