SRI85

GOpro with low jump number

So whats everyones thought on jumping with a go pro camera, and having less then 100 jumps? I know the sim says 200 jumps, but i kinda feel this is outdated and doesnt consider how small cameras have gotten. The biggest thing i hear is that it is a snag hazard. Well if the go pro is mounted in the very front of the helmet , and i keep my head slighty down, i think a snag would be pretty tough to encounter. Im just looking to get a POV type footage and not really film others.

Go for it. What could possibly go wrong. All those people saying it's a bad idea are just old boring fuckers who don't want you to progress because they're afraid you'll be better than they are. What the hell do they think they know anyway, with all their jumps and years in sport? Asswipes.

Ugh, not again?

Take a look in the camera forum. There's a gazillion threads about why jumping camera with low jump numers is a bad idea, there's a good number of incidents listed about jumpers with small cameras getting themelves or (even worse) others into trouble, and the consensus from just about everybody except some with < 200 jumps is that the 200 jump limit is not outdated, in fact it is fairly low, and small format cameras do not change this as the danger is not so much in the size/weight of the equipment as in the distraction it provides.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Go for it. What could possibly go wrong. All those people saying it's a bad idea are just old boring fuckers who don't want you to progress because they're afraid you'll be better than they are. What the hell do they think they know anyway, with all their jumps and years in sport? Asswipes.

And that is also a good answer :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

So whats everyones thought on jumping with a go pro camera, and having less then 100 jumps? I know the sim says 200 jumps, but i kinda feel this is outdated and doesnt consider how small cameras have gotten. The biggest thing i hear is that it is a snag hazard. Well if the go pro is mounted in the very front of the helmet , and i keep my head slighty down, i think a snag would be pretty tough to encounter. Im just looking to get a POV type footage and not really film others.

Is the first time you posted this question? I could swear that the same question, almost verbatim, was asked in another post earlier this year or maybe last year.

If I was more motivated, I'd search it out, but it's almost word-for-word the same post. Weird.

less THAN 100 jumps...

it's alot about one word....

distraction.....

@ under 100 jumps, you have Plenty to think about, to concentrate on, to absorb, to enjoy..
in fact, that's the case waaay past 200 jumps...

and IF there are lots of other canopies in the air, at the DZ you frequent......as opposed to a C182 Dz....
THEN....
please do not be in such a hurry to wear a camera...

distraction,,, it can catch many many an experienced jumper,,
let alone an intermediate one...

jmy
A 3914
D12122

>So whats everyones thought on jumping with a go pro camera, and having
>less then 100 jumps?

Very bad idea.

>I know the sim says 200 jumps, but i kinda feel this is outdated and doesnt
>consider how small cameras have gotten.

The size of the camera has almost nothing to do with it.

>Well if the go pro is mounted in the very front of the helmet , and i keep
>my head slighty down, i think a snag would be pretty tough to encounter.

Someone posted a video of someone who managed to snag a Gopro mounted like that on someone else's jumpsuit. They are pretty snaggy.

>Im just looking to get a POV type footage and not really film others.

History has shown that you won't stick to that.

Hee hee . . so much dripping sarcasm I think I'll need to clean my keyboard :ph34r:

The post that really put a lump my throat was jumpwally's post at the end of the no pull thread from last week http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3936777;page=3;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25; Sure some of it is ridiculous with the old super8 camera and duct tape but talk about a gripping loss of altitude awareness . . Yikes!
"Whatever the future holds down the road, being true to yourself is something you won't ever regret doing. " - airtwardo

F_A_C_E_T_I_O_U_S :P...

My plan is to have at least my C license before I start jumping a go pro. If you think the SIM is outdated and become tired of listening to advice from people with way more experience than you do ...then perhaps you should try a new hobby. They aren't making those reccomendations to be assholes...they are trying to save your (and hopefully someone else's) life...

My plan is to have at least my C license before I start jumping a go pro. If you think the SIM is outdated and become tired of listening to advice from people with way more experience than you do ...then perhaps you should try a new hobby. They aren't making those reccomendations to be assholes...they are trying to save your (and hopefully someone else's) life...

Come on dude, what's the worst that could happen?

...Oh...wait...
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

never "sharp-shot" anyone.....:|
simply making a correction.....
and NOW you've corrected me.....:P

the point is made by the OTHER words in my post...:|

and sure we're a skydiving forum.. but we can't we ALSo be a grammatically correct ????
skydiving forum..???

where i come from.....
"spelling counts" regardless of the subject matter..or at least it should...

jt

The overall point here is that it was quite clear what he meant, despite the spelling mistake. You are among the 1% of the members here that really give a shit whether or not spelling is perfect in a post or not.

I make an effort to spell things correctly as you do, but I think it's petty to correct others here when the spelling/grammar errors don't really matter when it comes to the meat of the subject at hand.
Arrive Safely

John

Good thread. While I would like to think I'm smarter than the people in the "Small Format Camera "Incident" list " thread.... It is probably a good idea to heed the advise of the more experienced...even though they are just jealous of my mad skillz.;)

Question: If the primary issue with the small camera is distraction, what changes after 200 jumps? Is someone that could be described as a "flake" less of a flake after 200 jumps?

Experienced jumpers, what are you really looking for in a jumper by 200 jumps before jumping a camera is a good idea?

what changes after 200 jumps?

The same thing that happens when you get a D license or 10,000 jumps. nothing.

IT DEPENDS ON THE PERSON.

you are a bad judge of yourself, always.

If someone is telling you it is a bad idea it is either because they fear for you or for them self.

when more experienced people stop telling you it is a bad idea, you have either outsmarted them or you will be fine.

If you do it you should get an audible altimeter -- so if you get distracted, you're less likely to have an AAD fire, or two out, etc...

'

Good idea. If you are at all worried, just pick up some electronics to do your job for you. No worries, they always work, regardless of what those old asswipes try to tell you.

Look dude. The reality of these things is that most of the "rules" everyone hates were written with blood. If you want to take your chances at adding to that, then go ahead and try and convince your DZO that his dropzone should be the one that you get killed at, or kill one of your friends.

I'm sick and tired of having to explain to people that slowing down is a good idea. If it wasn't for people like me keeping you down like "the man" there wouldn't be a whole lot of dropzones left in this country.

Have some respect.

ps. yeah I'm crabby.

edit to add, for what it's worth, this thread should basically have ended many posts ago. This topic has been beat to death. You're either trolling or again, new enough to the sport to not realize how these things go.... I see a trend.... c'mon man... for the rest of our stress levels,... why cant people be reasonable?????
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka