decompresion

In case I land off, I...

I know this is a loooong one but here it is:
The "I landed off" poll
Note that this poll assumes you are about to land off regardless of how you got into that situation. So I am not looking for "Pull high if the spot in long" and so on.

I am really more interested to read all the ones I haven't got here.
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

Landing off at my dz isn't a big deal, We're in a field surrounded by more fields. Since we're a 182 dz, it isn't hard to keep track of jumpers. ;)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I would learn to fly my canopy and be able to put it where I want it instead of just landing where ever I end up on every landing.
Canopy accuracy can save your life.

Are you saying that learning to fly your canopy will result in you being able to get back from any spot? I don't think you mean that but just incase. I'm assuming you mean precautionary learning to be able to settle into a grass path rather than trees.
Stay high pull low

Psycho, That's not how I interpreted his response.

I thought he meant he would have a choice of landing areas because he can pilot his canopy...and that learning to pilot your canopy could save your life.... Good Advice!!
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

Truth is, (truth induced by smirnoff, don't ask tomorrow) I'm not as good a canopy pilot as I ought to be.

I don't think my truth is that uncommon......maybe

I had outstanding mentors when I started skydiving, but with some years off, I've found that I'm not as good as I thought I was....

Maps... GPS... shoe laces...

Sounds more like, 'What would you do if you were blind folded in the plane, flew around for a while and had to get out in the middle of BFE.' :D

*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

That's a pretty good Idea, but you'll have to spend it on beer. Have you tried to find a payphone lately??? They've all but dissappeared...;)

I wanna survive. So... I jump a canopy that works well in a broad array of situations loaded 1.2:1.

I make sure the rest of the out jumpers are OK.

I stuff my rig and canopy into my jumpsuit and backpack it back to the DZ.

I re-manifest and go again.

jon

Open parachute while checking for traffic, check parachute, find suitable landing area, land, while still looking out for traffic, THEN worry about how to get home. I can't pull high with the groups that I'm on, so that's not an option.

When I've landed off, I usually just gather up my gear and start walking. Weights and nylon suit and all. Us small RW women are TOUGH!

;)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I agree completely with Chris Spence.
(My $0.02) It is important to know your canopy and be able to land in a tight "off" field or a slope or along a field with a bit of a crosswind.
It can be a harrowing experience to land in an "out" without being confident in your ability to survive the landing. (Insert: arguments on overconfidence, decision making affected by lack of confidence, target fixation, tunnel vision...has been discussed in other threads and lets not rehash them all here, again)

About landing off and fatalities/injuries:There are at least a couple of incidents with experienced flyers landing off and not surviving the experience. (Search the Incidents forum)
To summarize: Since it is possible to "femur" right in front of the hangar then it is possible to do the same thing farther away.
Also: If you are in a DZ with a huge landing area you can still "make it in", break something and it would take some time for someone to notice, because you landed "in" and no one noticed that you just never got up.

Cellphones: if you have a $4,000 iPenis or $3,000 CrakBerry or some other expensive piece of plastic and Silicon then it is understandable that you leave it on the ground. I got a "Pay-as-you-go" deal with a free refurbished phone for ~$25 just for jumping, camping, climbing, snowboard...etc in a little ziplock bag. It works great, battery lasts forever and reception is decent.

GPS, Map, Aerial: When I started flying a wingsuit, I had a picture taken from altitude of the surrounding 2 miles from the DZ in my pocket. It really helps with spotting and planning on the ground because most DZ aerials are of the close area only. When the season changed in the fall I got a new one because the colors changed (A lot). Also a bunch of wingsuiters are flying with GPS devices to record flight characteristics such as glide angles, vertical speed, distance covered and so on.

Wingsuits and landing off: It happens. I am not saying it should or that it is a big deal or whatever. Statement of fact...wingsuit flyers also land off, just like everybody else.
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

I once landed off and was picked up on the roadside and given a short ride back to DZ. Gave what I thought was $4 to the guy and said “thanks, here’s a few dollars for a beer”. He seemed overly happy and said “that’s more than a beer costs”. To which I replied “no problem you’ve been quite helpful”.

Later when I went to pay for lunch I realised the missing $20 from my pocket as I had tipped him $24 – then I understood why he was so pleased with my tip.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I land in the biggest, flattest-looking field I can find, away from obstacles. If I can see well enough to know about fences & power lines, then I'll go for close to the road. Otherwise, I just identify the direction to go for the biggest road.

I have a pull-up cord in my rig and know how to field-pack.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have a pull-up cord in my rig and know how to field-pack.

Any difference between your field pack and your regular pack?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message