Ryye

Music during freefall.

I've seen a few guys at my local DZ wearing headphones prior to exiting the aircraft into freefall. How do you guys feel about this? I could only imagine that this would be a safety hazard and could definitely distract someone in an emergency.
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

Listening to music during freefall would definitely pump up your jump, but are there rules against this?

It's almost the same as exiting into a cloud. They say that you aren't "supposed" to, but people still do it...
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

At your level I think most would tell you no, wait a couple hundred jumps to consider it.

My personal opinion if why do you even need to listen to music? You are skydiving! Is that not enough of a stimulus? I love skydiving. I don't want something taking away my focus on it. Plus I think it's an unnecessary distraction. But to each their own.

At your level I think most would tell you no, wait a couple hundred jumps to consider it.

My personal opinion if why do you even need to listen to music? You are skydiving! Is that not enough of a stimulus? I love skydiving. I don't want something taking away my focus on it. Plus I think it's an unnecessary distraction. But to each their own.

Tetra, you're exactly right. I would never consider using music even after I had a few thousand jumps. I have so much to learn that the list is endless.

I honestly forgot all about the search option. I should have thought about that before I posted this. I hope this thread wasn't repetitive.

Most everything has been discussed by now. You have to really think to come up with a safety type question that's not been covered at some length.

I'm with the other posters. Wouldn't do it. Perhaps if I had a good deal of experience, I might consider it, but the potential dangers aren't worth the rather limited benefits.

I try to be reasonably conservative with safety type stuff though. There are enough risks in skydiving that I can't eliminate to be adding in new ones.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Here's my advice: If you want to mix music and skydiving, listen to either Van Halen's "Jump" or Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'" while you're packing or before you get in the plane. Otherwise it's just another distraction in a sport that metes out heavy penalties for being distracted. I'm sure there will be someone soon who wonders whether it's okay to text in free fall.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

Here's my advice: If you want to mix music and skydiving, listen to either Van Halen's "Jump" or Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'" while you're packing or before you get in the plane.

Play this song and everything will be fine...;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

How do you guys feel about this? I could only imagine that this would be a safety hazard and could definitely distract someone in an emergency.

Listining to music in freefall..............BAD IDEA. How ever someone got this in your mind, please don't do it. It's a bad habit & it will surely lead to someone's death, maybe even yours.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Listining to music in freefall..............BAD IDEA. How ever someone got this in your mind, please don't do it. It's a bad habit & it will surely lead to someone's death, maybe even yours.

I already stated earlier "I would never consider using music even after I had a few thousand jumps. I have so much to learn that the list is endless."

I don't see why anybody would ever see any need for that. Of course, I think I'm weird that way, I never listen to music when I run, when I hike, when I camp, etc. I engage in those activities in part of get away from the usual pace of everyday life and want to bring along as few parts of that as necessary.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

OMG...talk about beating a dead horse! Can't we just tell the guy "NO, don't even think about it!" and go on with life? Or just cut/copy/paste all the bullshit from the other threads covering this subject? Maybe we need a catagory for "If we must discuss it again, do it here!"?

Saturday, for my 70th jump, I'm going to wear my IPod while taking video with my new GoPro of my first wingsuit jump (that I lied about my jump numbers to do) and land it all with my 1:4 wing loaded canopy that I know 120 sq ft is too small, but it's cool!! Then, just to be sure I've covered everything, I'm not going to check in at the manifest station and tell them I made it back.

OKay, I'm back....sorry, I just had to get that out.
Marriage is like a deck of cards. You start with two harts and a diamond only to discover you wish you had a club and a spade!

OMG...talk about beating a dead horse! Can't we just tell the guy "NO, don't even think about it!" and go on with life? Or just cut/copy/paste all the bullshit from the other threads covering this subject? Maybe we need a category for "If we must discuss it again, do it here!"?

Saturday, for my 70th jump, I'm going to wear my IPod while taking video with my new GoPro of my first wing-suit jump (that I lied about my jump numbers to do) and land it all with my 1:4 wing loaded canopy that I know 120 sq ft is too small, but it's cool!! Then, just to be sure I've covered everything, I'm not going to check in at the manifest station and tell them I made it back.

Okay, I'm back....sorry, I just had to get that out.

Make sure to disconnect your RSL while exiting the An2

OMG...talk about beating a dead horse! Can't we just tell the guy "NO, don't even think about it!" and go on with life? Or just cut/copy/paste all the bullshit from the other threads covering this subject? Maybe we need a category for "If we must discuss it again, do it here!"?

Saturday, for my 70th jump, I'm going to wear my IPod while taking video with my new GoPro of my first wing-suit jump (that I lied about my jump numbers to do) and land it all with my 1:4 wing loaded canopy that I know 120 sq ft is too small, but it's cool!! Then, just to be sure I've covered everything, I'm not going to check in at the manifest station and tell them I made it back.

...and do a Mr. Bill.

...and do a Mr. Bill.

Naked at night & over water!

...and do a Mr. Bill.

...into a stadium.

btw, I'm gonna have to ask you to clarify how someone goes about doing a naked wingsuit jump.

...and do a Mr. Bill.

...into a stadium.

btw, I'm gonna have to ask you to clarify how someone goes about doing a naked wingsuit jump.

Floppy skin

OMG...talk about beating a dead horse! Can't we just tell the guy "NO, don't even think about it!" and go on with life? Or just cut/copy/paste all the bullshit from the other threads covering this subject? Maybe we need a catagory for "If we must discuss it again, do it here!"?

Saturday, for my 70th jump, I'm going to wear my IPod while taking video with my new GoPro of my first wingsuit jump (that I lied about my jump numbers to do) and land it all with my 1:4 wing loaded canopy that I know 120 sq ft is too small, but it's cool!! Then, just to be sure I've covered everything, I'm not going to check in at the manifest station and tell them I made it back.

OKay, I'm back....sorry, I just had to get that out.

Haha only 50 posts and a few months and you have just accurately summed up the majority of posts in the General Skydiving section :D
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero