yzracer

Jumpsuit?

I will be making my first solo jumps this Friday. I have a jumpsuit on order, but it hasn't arrived yet. How important is a jumpsuit? I noticed one of the guys wearing motocross pants to jump in, which I have plenty of. Would this do for now, or should I be borrowing a suit from the DZ?

I will be making my first solo jumps this Friday. I have a jumpsuit on order, but it hasn't arrived yet. How important is a jumpsuit? I noticed one of the guys wearing motocross pants to jump in, which I have plenty of. Would this do for now, or should I be borrowing a suit from the DZ?

The basis of the decision is how stable you will be, with/without a suit, at your skill level.

The people who jump in these varieties of clothing are probably more stable at pull time than you are at this point.

Talk to the instructors at your dz.

What has your DZ had you wear for your AFF jumps? If they had you wear one of the student jumpsuits, why not continue to wear those for your solo jumps?

But yeah, talk to your instructors ...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm with you on this one.... I'm kind of confused about the whole jumpsuit situation. I mean, RW suit, freefly suit, freefly pants, cotton, spandex, etc. How much of a difference do they really make?

More than you might think. But some of the specialities are only apparent when your skill improves.

Booties give you lots of forward drive capability, but are a huge disadvantage freeflying. Freefly suits give you the ability to fly in any orientation, but lack the subtle refinements for maximum performance doing RW. The freefly pants are mainly convenient.

Different fabrics give different fall rates. Heavier guys can go slower, or lighter can go faster, depending on the drag from the fabric.

For early jumps, a basic student suit will do.

Most jumpers end up with a variety of suits for different occasions.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Having been out of the sport for quite sometime I was curious how jumpsuits have changed....

Long ago the heavy cotton duck fabric with belled arm and legs - maybe some extensions under the arms was what jumpers into RW wore....

Looking at gear today and having been by the local DZ it appears skin tight suits with a few grip handles are what everyone is wearing.

How did it change from baggy draggy suits long ago to the skin tight thing...seems kinda 180 degrees from the idea years ago....

dude, just use the student jumpsuits till you get your suit in... they dont mind. least you have yours on order, I was jumping student jumpsuits till like 70 jumps and they were ok with it ...

PS: were you at the DZ yesterday?
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

dude, just use the student jumpsuits till you get your suit in... they dont mind. least you have yours on order, I was jumping student jumpsuits till like 70 jumps and they were ok with it ...

PS: were you at the DZ yesterday?

Yea, he was. He was actually on a couple of loads with me.

I'm looking into a suit myself right now. I am debating between an e-cheapo $180 suit that gets the job done.... or a $260 with booties and all the bells and whistles :p
Don't forget to pull!

My jumpsuit made a world of difference for me. It's a Michigan RW. I could fly stable and do slow turns before I got it but didn't have nearly as much control as I do now.

I swear I can track faster and straighter, turn more precisely and doing these things better just gives me more confidence.

Having been out of the sport for quite sometime I was curious how jumpsuits have changed....

Long ago the heavy cotton duck fabric with belled arm and legs - maybe some extensions under the arms was what jumpers into RW wore....

Looking at gear today and having been by the local DZ it appears skin tight suits with a few grip handles are what everyone is wearing.

How did it change from baggy draggy suits long ago to the skin tight thing...seems kinda 180 degrees from the idea years ago....

The new kids discovered that you turn faster with tighter suits and a faster fall rate...really helps when turning points.

Imagine the problems you would encounter tryin' to get 16 points in a balloon suit. :ph34r:

As a poster above said you tend to collect different suits for different applications, I have a relatively tight suit for 4 way because everyone usually likes a faster fall rate and if I fly flat-er I can stay with them (I'm a big fat guy)...but I use a big floppy suit for bigger way RW.

I always envy the feather-butts that have a tight suit but still need to strap on lead! :ph34r:

The times they are a changing...we use to fall slower and pull lower, now they stand on their heads the whole dive, and dump at 35! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The new kids discovered that you turn faster with tighter suits and a faster fall rate...really helps when turning points.

Another huge point - and I think it's a LOT more important than 5-10 mph fall rate difference. (though maybe at least as much as the 30 MPH difference from balloon suits at 90 mph vs today 120mhp +)

A tight suit has less flapping fabric. Flapping tosses out little flops of wind - imagine trying to skydive with 20 other divers just randomly giving you little pushes all over your body the entire dive.

I'd rather fly my body rather than have suit fly me.

The applies to FF suits too. A smoother fit means more control.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My jumpsuit made a world of difference for me. It's a Michigan RW. I could fly stable and do slow turns before I got it but didn't have nearly as much control as I do now.

I swear I can track faster and straighter, turn more precisely and doing these things better just gives me more confidence.

Absolutely. My wife makes custom RW suits, and I've seen lots of customers getting their first suit and being amazed at what a difference it makes. :)