npgraphicdesign

Poor pattern choices and pattern/other jumper awareness

Off pattern or poor pattern choices can happen to even the most experienced jumpers.
While I am only newly A licensed, the other day at Eloy in the North/South only landing zone all hell seemed to break loose. One jumper landed South, setting the pattern for everyone after. The next jumper landed north, resetting the landing pattern for everyone after(or atleast we all followed them, since most jumpers all saw that landing). And one group decided to land slightly into the Wind(west). Need less to say and no fingers to be pointed the entire fun jumping load was scolded over the intercomm to pay attention to how the landing pattern is set and if you can't follow it land off in the desert. Being on a larger canopy and pulling slightly higher than everyone else I only saw the one north landing and everyone else following suit, so I took their que.

One jumper landed South, setting the pattern for everyone after. The next jumper landed north, resetting the landing pattern for everyone after(or atleast we all followed them, since most jumpers all saw that landing). And one group decided to land slightly into the Wind(west).

This is exactly why I'm a fan of setting a predetermined direction. I hate sitting under canopy being confused about where everyone is landing. It's to the point now that if I'm not one of the last guys down, I just land away from the mess. I'd rather walk an extra 100 yards than to be involved in a collision.
Don't forget to pull!

>It's to the point now that if I'm not one of the last guys down, I just land
>away from the mess. I'd rather walk an extra 100 yards than to be involved
>in a collision.

That's always a good choice, although it is frequently a lot farther than 100 yards.

"One jumper landed South, setting the pattern for everyone after. The next jumper landed north, resetting the landing pattern for everyone after(or atleast we all followed them, since most jumpers all saw that landing). And one group decided to land slightly into the Wind(west)."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This is exactly why I'm a fan of setting a predetermined direction. I hate sitting under canopy being confused about where everyone is landing. It's to the point now that if I'm not one of the last guys down, I just land away from the mess. I'd rather walk an extra 100 yards than to be involved in a collision."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lots of good information in this thread. As someone previously said, if there is a pattern, ( what a concept!) you can enter it just about anyplace and land accordingly. That might mean landing down wind.

It's OK to get the jump suit dirty... or land away from the DZ. Don't die or kill someone just so that you can land into the wind and hit the peas.

To the originator of this thread, thank for sharing your experience. The discussion is good.
Dano

This is exactly why I'm a fan of setting a predetermined direction. I hate sitting under canopy being confused about where everyone is landing. It's to the point now that if I'm not one of the last guys down, I just land away from the mess. I'd rather walk an extra 100 yards than to be involved in a collision.

Wise beyond your years.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Actually didn't associate the "good job for avoiding a low turn" statement with you. I thought it was someone else's and then read the part where you told the guy he should go back on the radio.
So, it did seem rather abrasive to me, but I'll take it back after rereading it.

As an aside, what would my thinking you came off like a Dink have to do with my involvement in the sport?:| I don't think the majority of people in skydiving are abrasive at all.

Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin