SkydiveJack

Great Job by 101st Airborne Demo Team

I was at the Michigan v. Michigan State game on Saturday, October 9th. The 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles Demo Team dropped one jumper into the game with the game ball. He also trailed the American Flag while the National Anthem played. If I got the name right the jumper was Adam Shiffen(sp?). He landed exactly on time and on target.

Great job soldier! Thank you sir!!!

During a time out in the third quarter they showed a quick recap from his video of the jump on the scoreboard. It got a huge cheer from the crowd!

I have done many demos into College Football and NFL games in the 1980’s with the Budweiser and Miller Skydiving Teams. This was actually my first time (beer!) seeing one as a spectator. It was pretty cool to finally see one from the stands. Of course it’s much cooler to see it from under canopy!

Anyway, let us not forget the importance to our sport of the truly professional military and civilian demo jumpers who help attract more students to our DZ’s.

Attached are two photos I took.

In the second picture, it looks like two of the ground crew personal are catching the flag to keep it off the turf. What a nice touch! When we fly a flag at demo's, our goal (as ground crew, I don't jump demos obviously) is to get the flag picked up as soon as we can. From the observers point of view, is that what they are trying to acomplish? A little hard to speculate from a still shot, but that's what it looks like?
Marriage is like a deck of cards. You start with two harts and a diamond only to discover you wish you had a club and a spade!

In the second picture, it looks like two of the ground crew personal are catching the flag to keep it off the turf. What a nice touch! When we fly a flag at demo's, our goal (as ground crew, I don't jump demos obviously) is to get the flag picked up as soon as we can. From the observers point of view, is that what they are trying to acomplish? A little hard to speculate from a still shot, but that's what it looks like?

Yes. Catching the flag is exactly what the ground crew is doing. There were three ground crew from the team present. The jumper landed right on the target located by the south end zone.

When jumping a Flag suspended under the canopy, on a separate line/pulley system, the Ground Crews catch the flags as the Flag and jumper stop at the same time.

When jumping a "Drop" flag, suspended under the jumper on a weighted lanyard, the crew pick the flag up ASAP as the flag and jumper usually still have some movement after the flag touched the ground and you don't want to "close line" the jumper or bang the crew with the weight.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

When jumping a Flag suspended under the canopy, on a separate line/pulley system, the Ground Crews catch the flags as the Flag and jumper stop at the same time.

When jumping a "Drop" flag, suspended under the jumper on a weighted lanyard, the crew pick the flag up ASAP as the flag and jumper usually still have some movement after the flag touched the ground and you don't want to "close line" the jumper or bang the crew with the weight.

Matt

This makes sense. I didn't even notice the flag was above the jumpers head. We do fly "drop" type flags. (FYI: we have a couple demo jumpers I would love to CLOSELINE when they land...B|:S:() But seriously, thanks for the clarification!
Marriage is like a deck of cards. You start with two harts and a diamond only to discover you wish you had a club and a spade!

Who needs toggles when you can just yank a random line to turn, and then bounce off the ground when you land :S

Awww, so when's the cute little troll going to do his first stadium demo with a flag and smoke in front of 100,000 people? :|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Who needs toggles when you can just yank a random line to turn, and then bounce off the ground when you land :S

He was doing the dives with the single line because he was putting on 'A Show' for the crowd.

He did use his toggles to land.

Ever wonder why they have those big air bags for people doing accuracy to land on? Cause they generally don't have soft tip-toe landings.

Next?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Awww, so when's the cute little troll going to do his first stadium demo with a flag and smoke in front of 100,000 people?

If that be the case then why even have the PRO rating if you aren't able to stand up a landing?
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Awww, so when's the cute little troll going to do his first stadium demo with a flag and smoke in front of 100,000 people?

If that be the case then why even have the PRO rating if you aren't able to stand up a landing?

You absolutely CANNOT be fucking serious.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

hmm, from a whufoo point of expectations (I guess),
a demo jumper should be
a) 100% safe for everybody (well... for himself too)
b) wearing two flags minimum
c) two smoke cans... three better
d) tip-toe landing OF COARSE!
so, very fast multi flag three color smoke Mr. 48 sparkling teeth.. with a theatrical bow

Bow missing? Take him off PRO Rating
What goes around, comes later.

hmm, from a whufoo point of expectations (I guess),
a demo jumper should be
a) 100% safe for everybody (well... for himself too)
b) wearing two flags minimum
c) two smoke cans... three better
d) tip-toe landing OF COARSE!
so, very fast multi flag three color smoke Mr. 48 sparkling teeth.. with a theatrical bow

Bow missing? Take him off PRO Rating

But he did bow to the crowd! :D;)

It wasn't a random line. If you grab the outside A Line the way he did, it puts it into a spiral and it dives slightly quicker. It was intentional and appropriate, especially for that type of canopy.

Most people fail to every explore control options. Don't be one of those people.

As for the landing. Woops. It was definitely a mistake but it wasn't executing a dangerous move. He let up for the surge just a tiny bit late. I'm sure he was slightly embarrased but he did hit the mark. All in all, good job even with the mistake.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

As for the landing. Woops. It was definitely a mistake but it wasn't executing a dangerous move. He let up for the surge just a tiny bit late. I'm sure he was slightly embarrased but he did hit the mark. All in all, good job even with the mistake.

I was at the stadium and saw the jump. His landing area was set up by the south endzone and the band was lined up at the south 30 yard line all the way up to the north endzone. The wind was light but it was comming from the south, over the lip of the stadium. 3/4ths of the stadium is below ground level and there is no flow of air throught the stands. Basically it is a downward rotor machine. He did a great job with what he was given.

The local TV news showed the video of the jump today. They were raving at how wonderful it was. We jumpers need to remember that a demo is for the public, not for us.