ChrisL

Perris or Elsinore?

I'm an east coast guy, jump at Cross Keys

I'll be visiting my Mom in late Nov/early Dec and she lives in Idyllwild, CA which I hear is about an hour more or less from both of these drop zones.

At which of these two dropzones would I be most likely to find some
fun belly flying folks I could hook up with on a week day in the late fall?

Wish I could take a day at each, but I'll probably only have one day for jumping...
__

My mighty steed

Ive yet to jump out at perris yet since moving out to cali 2 weeks ago so I cant really say how they are during the week BUT I went to elsinore on a tuesday (first day I was in cali) and it was pretty dead (I thinkg they sent up 3 or 4 loads because of tandems and a small handfull of fun jumpers and then stopped for the day around 1:30). I was talking to on of the guys who worked there and they all headed over to perris and said that there is generall more of a crowd there during the week than elsinore.

Back in summer of 08 on a quick road trip I was able to jump at both dropzones plus do a bit of tunnel flying at Perris all in one day!

I arrived at Elsinore around 11:30 a.m. on a Tuesday. I was able to get on a small load (a couple of tandems plus a student soloing) launching (felt like it) at 2ish. After packing, I sped to Perris (took a wrong turn or two trying to find the place). Got to make a dive around 4.

I second on what they said about signing waivers. Not only do you have to copy word for word on the last page they have to film you saying the passage out load on their video camera. It's done at both dropzones.

Perris was a bit confusing, I had to ask twice where the office for signing papers was at (it's all the way to the back).

After packing up, I did 5 minutes of tunnel flying sometimes between 5:30-6.

Of course I only jumped once at each dropzone so I'm sure you would want to jump more than once at either dz.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself anyway! Be safe and have fun!

I work at Elsinore and am from the east coast not too far from you (Sky's The Limit). I actually worked with a guy from cross keys. Mad Mike the packer. Tuesdays we we're usually closed but are now open 7 days a week! I jump here and perris and enjoy them both. You can easily jump both in one day. Why not set up a balloon jump and the first couple loads at perris and then head to elsinore for the 2nd half. I'm always in for balloons and I'll be at either dz. Hit me up and we'll get some fun loads organized! -Crisco-
Respect comes with experience, not the size of your gear

I say you have to jump both. Both drop zones are great and the service at both is unbeatable. You will enjoy yourself at both places and you should not pick between the two. There is much to experience at both dzs.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Both are great dropzones. Because of greater volume, you'd have better luck on a weekday at Perris, though even then the pickins can be slim.

The two dropzones are only about 15 miles apart and it's easy to drive back & forth. HOWEVER, keep in mind the different field elevations (Perris 1420 ft, Elsinore 1250) and the fact that you must drive over a set of hills to get back & forth. So if you're going DZ hopping between the two, you MUST turn OFF your AAD and re-set it at the other dropzone when you arrive !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !