SkydiveJack

FAA to fine Lodi $664,000

One, Dause was fined by the FAA
Two, FAA states the repairs were made and AD's complied with.

And the repairs and AD compliance were not done until after he was busted for not doing them in the first place.

If he was not in error Bil would have certainly fought it and not made the repairs and inspections.

You can bet he is going to appeal the proposed penalty but if he had not may the required repairs and complied with all AD’s the planes would have remained grounded. That means they would not be generating revenue.

I first met Bill in the late 70’s and from my limited firsthand experience he has always operated with same “catch me if you can” attitude.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

But yet, people still buy tickets on American (knowingly flying MD80's w/o AD's), Southwest (knowingly flying several jets with cracked fuse skins), Alaska (pencil whipping out of limit elevator jack screw - MD80 crash off of Port Huneme), American (crash late 70's, chicago - improperly installing an engine on a DC10), And the list goes ON AND ON AND ON !

But yet, people still buy tickets on American (knowingly flying MD80's w/o AD's), Southwest (knowingly flying several jets with cracked fuse skins), Alaska (pencil whipping out of limit elevator jack screw - MD80 crash off of Port Huneme), American (crash late 70's, chicago - improperly installing an engine on a DC10), And the list goes ON AND ON AND ON !

So is your point that people will still buy cheap jump tickets on Lodi's airplanes?(knowingly flying jump planes with expired parts and undone inspections)

I guess what your saying is what Forrest Gump always says- "Stupid is as stupid does."

Dear Mr. ts1962:

Here we go again. Some anonymous expert - you - on dropzone.com suggests that he knows the position of "the USPA Board of Directors" and "all the regional directors." Oh yeah? You are wrong. You should cut it out. If you have an issue with this, pick up your phone and call me.

Randy Allison
USPA Mideastern Regional Director

Mr, Allison, while I agree that statement "he gets full support of the USPA Board of Directors, full support of all the regional directors" is untrue, take an outsiders perspective and try to see why that might be public perception.

You know, I feel most of the directors put in a good effort, however when it comes to enforcement actions, very rarely does a director really put their foot down, and if they do it's not talked about. So perception is the rules are meaningless since there are no penalties. Any I know I can pick up the phone and talk about this to most directors, however, that's not what most of the membership is bound to do. The Board will not allow such political discussions in it's controlled media, it think it's been forgotten that Parachutist is in fact the newsletter to the members, and is the appropriate place to discuss such information about our organization.

This may be outside the scope of this thread, but beginning with the DZ in question, why have at least two directors been unable to bring any action to correct or stop FAR and BSR violations? The old straw "but they are not a USPA dropzone" won't carry weight, the violators are USPA members, and it is their responsibility to follow the organizations guidelines.

When two BOD members have witnessed NON RATED members conducting instructional skydives, and nothing is done, what do you expect the membership to think?

It extends past this DZ. When video evidence is provided about Tandem instructors repeatedly performing CReW with students, and nothing is done, what should the membership think?

When the FAA imposes penalties and pulls pilot and mechanic certifications when maintenance and operational FARs are broken, and the USPA allows the operator to remain a USPA Group Member, what should the membership assume?

And after all that, why should the members, instructors, and operators continue to feel bound by any rules, and/or regulations our organization endorses?

When it's multiple incidences, over many years, and the members that watch and care keep seeing the same behavior, what should they think?

Randy, you're a pretty stand up guy, who shoots straight. Understand that not all of the BOD is seen that way, sometimes its a mis-perception, other times it's grounded in fact, but one thing is sure. The BOD fails in one respect totally, and that is public communication.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I guess what your saying is what Forrest Gump always says- "Stupid is as stupid does."

Pulling up a quote from a fictional guy who is mentaly retarded.... genius!!

Yes. That's exactly what I did.

And BTW, thank you for everything you are doing to help explain and valadate my comments!

When two BOD members have witnessed NON RATED members conducting instructional skydives, and nothing is done, what do you expect the membership to think?

Something did happen. The non-rated person was allowed to get rated. Problem solved, right? B|

Although I really don't look at it as a fail because I believe it to be an organized effort of non-communication

Doubtless. And that's all she wrote.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Pulling up a quote from a fictional guy who is mentaly retarded.... genius!!

Regardless of the source, is the quote applicable?

The answer, unfortunately for you, is yes, it is applicable. If you're uncomfortable with the source, would you prefer that he not try to 'soften the blow' with a pop culture reference, and just come right out and say, "That it is stupid to contiue jumping from a plane that has been documented to have severe maintenence issues, or from a plane owned by an operator who has a track record of poor maintenece procedures, with some of them leading to actual crashes"?

Let's keep focus on the issue at hand, and the issue at hand is not the source of quotations used to make a point in this thread.

but he's done more for skydiving then anyone I have ever met.

If you think this kind of action helps the sport..... You and I clearly have different definitions of "helping the sport" in mind.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Hey Julius, you forgot to list all the screws you forget to put in the united jets you work on :P

I'm a student yet and I myself would be terrified at having to jump low to the ground if the engine quit. Could I get stable in time? Would my chute inflate fully? Could I land in a clearing?

Gotta keep those planes serviced.....period.

S&S

Ever wonder why you're required to make a clear and pull (hop and pop) for your A-License?

To practice for an emergency exit.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>Could I get stable in time?

Once you get your rating, you'll learn how to exit stable so that you won't have to "get stable." In the interim, if you're with an instructor, he will likely help you get out the door and get your parachute deployed.

>Would my chute inflate fully?

IF you can get out (and that's a big if) then you're in very good shape as long as the aircraft is under control at all. The airplane is going to be gliding at 50-70kts, and you've got all that air to get your reserve inflated before you even start accelerating towards the ground.

If it's not under control, then all bets are off. You may not even be able to get out that door.

> Could I land in a clearing?

That's something else that you'll learn. It's an important skill, because most skydivers have to land out at some point in their careers.

>Gotta keep those planes serviced.....period.

Agreed!

I'm a student yet and I myself would be terrified at having to jump low to the ground if the engine quit. Could I get stable in time? Would my chute inflate fully? Could I land in a clearing?

Only YOU can answer those questions.

- Have you been practicing stable exits?
- Can you pull stable giving a 1-second delay?
- I assume you did your H&P...did you notice how your chute opened and how much altitude it took?
- Do you have a plan for emergency exits...above what altitude will you deploy your main on exit....below what altitude will you deploy your reserve on exit?
- Have you been practicing your landing accuracy?

Gotta keep those planes serviced.....period.

S&S

AMEN brother!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I have been saying it for years. DZOs cut corners in maint. They allow themselves to get forced into that position , by undercutting the competition, and then become unable to pay for proper maint. The fault also lies with skydivers as they seek the cheapest jump ticket and resent operators making a profit. Caveat Emptor. >:(