ltdiver

Perris gets a Porter

So, the cats out of the bag. Official announcement just arrived in the InBox. :)
Perris now has a Pilatus Porter! Just in time for teams to train for the upcoming World Meet in France. B|

Here's the announcement:

The largest skydiving fleet on the west coast has just got bigger. Starting this December we will be flying our newest addition, a Pilatus Porter. This single engine turbine will not only give us a smaller plane for those times when we don’t have enough people to fill the DC-9, but it is also the same jump plane that will be used at next year’s World Parachuting Championships. So that means look for even more international teams showing up this winter to get coaching from Dan BC, Christopher Irwin, Fury, and the other usual suspects.

It's going to get interesting at the DZ this winter! :D

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

It's good that they have a smaller plane for when they can't fill the twin-otter.

How many people does it hold?

Is it brand new?

Is it faster than the super otters?

but the email says its for when they can't fill the DC-9. heehee. I think it needs a paint job.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

We were flying side by side with Skydive Chicago's Otter (#30) with 9 jumpers in Richmond's Porter before it broke. Climb rate was 1,200 feet per minute according to my Neptune. It's a little weird to be off the ground a couple hundred feet down the runway.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I love flying in the Porter...I just hate having to get out the door. Why anyone would use one for a FS competition, I have no inkling. Must be for swoop competitions.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Nope, 4 way world meet is out of the Porter next year in Europe.

Seems that perris is offering quite nice environment for team training if they go and buy the plane ( a new one) that is going to be used in the next world meet just so that the teams may train the porter exits... ;)

I love flying in the Porter...I just hate having to get out the door. Why anyone would use one for a FS competition, I have no inkling.

'Cause they have alot of them in France, that's why...;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'd pay NOT to have to jump from a Porter.

Why?

You can fit two 4-way teams (including video) into a Porter. There are various ways of cramming the 10 jumpers in the aircraft. The best solution I have seen is in the D-FROH (Breitscheid Porter). It climbs to 13,000 ft in about 14 mins.
It has a nice big door that it unfortunatley on the right of the aircraft. This could make it tricky for Teams that have only trained out of a left side door.

It needs a runway that is about 16 inches long ;)
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

I'd pay NOT to have to jump from a Porter.

I dont mind the jumping part;), its the ride I hate... 6'2" makes it s a tight fit. I only rode a few times in one: we were 8 in it, and I could not imagine fitting 400 lbs more of meat in there :S.

That being said, I'm sure there will be some more porter popping up here and there in the US in the next couple of months.;)
Remster

Anyone remember the Helio Stallion they use to fly back in the 80's?

Here's some history on that plane,

Helio AU-24A “21320” 004 9 Nov. 72 ex 72-1320 and N9553A
Previous history: Helio Aircraft to USAF on 24 February 72 (72056); evaluated at Eglin AFB, Florida, for use by the South Vietnamese Air Force; operational test and evaluation began on 17 March 72 and ended on 22 May 72; as a result, no AU-24A was delivered to the South Vietnamese Air Force, and starting on 28 June 72, all AU-24As were flown to Davis Monthan AFB for storage (Helio AU-24A “Stallion” at http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/attack/a6/a6-42.htm); this particular AU-24A was flown to Davis Monthan AFB on 29 June 72 (72181).
Service history: Davis-Monthan AFB to TL MAP on 9 November 72 (72314), that is to the Khmer Air Force; the tail gear broke during a landing at Battambang in June 73; ferried to Pochentong and repaired (Air America’s Phnom Penh Station monthly report for June 73, in: UTD/CIA/B39F1); parts served to make “72-1329” operational in July 73 (Air America’s Phnom Penh Station monthly report for July 73, in: UTD/CIA/B39F1); repairs of “72-1320” were finished on 2 July 73 (Air America’s Phnom Penh Station monthly report for July 73, in: UTD/CIA/B39F1); in September 73, the Tacan was inoperative, but repaired (Air America’s Phnom Penh Station monthly report for September 73, in: UTD/CIA/B39F1); received bullet damage at the center wing bottom skin in November 73; repaired (Air America’s Phnom Penh Station monthly report for November 73, in: UTD/CIA/B39F1); 2 ribs in each wing were re-enforced at Pochentong in December 73 (Air America’s Phnom Penh Station monthly report for December 73, in: UTD/CIA/B39F1).
Fate: escaped to Thailand in 1975; salvaged at Bangkok; transported back to the United States in July 76 (Smith, Helio Stallion: Warhorse); sold to Michael J. Schachle, Anchorage, AK, as N9991F in 1976; sold to James D. Perry, Kent, WA, on ?; leased to Perris Valley Skydiving Inc., Perris, CA, on ?; crashed into the ground during skydiving operation at Perris, CA, on 30 June 88, killing the pilot; the registration was cancelled on 26 August 1988.

Pilot's was named Jim Love if I recall

http://www.utdallas.edu/library/collections/speccoll/Leeker/kau24.pdf

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

I dont mind the jumping part, its the ride I hate... 6'2" makes it s a tight fit. I only rode a few times in one: we were 8 in it, and I could not imagine fitting 400 lbs more of meat in there .

It does vary alot depending on the seating config. I've been in a Porter where 8 was packed to near suffocation, and I've been in one where 10 (inc. several wingsuiters) was almost comfortable:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

A 6'2", I've never been comfortable in a porter.

Then again, I've never been uncomfortable for long enough for i o matter.

Porters Rock. Wish we still had one in Aus.

Big ups to Perris for getting one for your teams to train out of.

C.

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

...I just hate having to get out the door.

Well get one with a trap door like in the film Dropzone" :P

I did two bomb bay trap door exits from that very plane when it was at the Gold Coast DZ in the late 90's! B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Anybody know that Mike Mullins used to fly a Helio Stallion before he got his King Air? Granted, that was before my time in the sport and that is all I know, other than it had bullet holes in it from a previous life and he crashed it when something went wrong.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

...I just hate having to get out the door. Why anyone would use one for a FS competition...

Evidently, the French would.

:P
:D:D:D:D

Well, it IS French-made, no? :P

Been doing lots of freeflown 9-ways + video this season from a Porter. 10 people is busy seating, but the climbrate is fast so it's not that big a deal.

For freeflown FS groups, we normally have 5 floaters, 3 divers in the door + 2 later divers.

Blue skies!
Gordon
Beware of advice from those with more posts than jumps ;-)