chrizbreck

glasses, full faced, fog....

I recently just got a Mamba full faced helmet and was like suhhhwheeet anti fog alrighty this is gonna be good

However when I got it and tried it on at home i was like god this thing fogs like mad... untill i realized it was actually my glasses fogging...

Im jumping this weekend so I can answer my own question then but I figured I would just ask around here anyhoo before hand =p

When in free fall does fogging of glasses still happen under a full faced as much as on the ground standing?

And has anyone ever heard of a product called 'Cat Crap' for anti fog... yes it sounds like a horrible name but ive heard it work but that you have to re apply often

I don't have a mamba but i have a Z1, which is like a cheap copy of the mamba that came out first. :P

My glasses do fog more than the visor itself. They'll fog if i close the visor too early in the plane, or after opening. Generally not in freefall. Just don't close it until you're about to exit, and then as your canopy opens you can pay attention to your breathing and make sure you're breathing through the vents. After opening, I just crack mine open a little and everything clears right up if it fogged at all.

The biggest problem with visor or glasses fogging can be in the winter, when the fog freezes. Preventing the fogging is the key, because getting rid of it might not be so easy once it starts.

Haven't used anything on mine for anti-fogging.

Dave

Sounds good =) I figured I would at least crack it open before exit and under canopy but my main worry was during free fall where the only option is to open it and have a face shield rip away from you at 120mph -.-

I had kinda figured during freefall that it probably wont be to bad cause of the air flow but i guess I will find out for sure fairly soon haha

I hadn't thought about the fog freezing :S so a big thanks for pointing that one out to me. It is better to know about something like that now than when I'm falling and freaking out over being blind or something

Cat Crap rocks.

So does Clear Optical Cream (aka Green Slime).
Most of the commercial anti-fog stuff is pretty similar.

Yes, you have to reapply on occasion, not every jump.

And while I don't wear a full face, my eyeglasses fog up under my goggles worse than my goggles do. I just lift the goggles up a bit and they clear. Once I'm out the door the fog goes away completely (again, that's goggles, not a fullface).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I hadn't thought about the fog freezing :S so a big thanks for pointing that one out to me. It is better to know about something like that now than when I'm falling and freaking out over being blind or something

I've had my visor freeze twice in freefall.

The first time was more awful since it stayed frozen until I pulled and had an open canopy.

The second time it actually unfroze in freefall so it wasn't that bad.

Its an eerie experience to be in freefall with other people and not being able to see practically anything other then a small sector in the lower part of your field of view.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I recently just got a Mamba full faced helmet and was like suhhhwheeet anti fog alrighty this is gonna be good

However when I got it and tried it on at home i was like god this thing fogs like mad... untill i realized it was actually my glasses fogging...

Im jumping this weekend so I can answer my own question then but I figured I would just ask around here anyhoo before hand =p

When in free fall does fogging of glasses still happen under a full faced as much as on the ground standing?

And has anyone ever heard of a product called 'Cat Crap' for anti fog... yes it sounds like a horrible name but ive heard it work but that you have to re apply often

try wearing contacts?
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

There is that option but I've had glasses since i was 3 so they are as much a part of me as say a limb. I am debating it though...

i wore glasses from about 6-16, then switched to contacts, and couldnt have ever been happier.
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

There is that option but I've had glasses since i was 3 so they are as much a part of me as say a limb. I am debating it though...

i wore glasses from about 6-16, then switched to contacts, and couldnt have ever been happier.

Sure its expensive and worth about 140 jumps but i recommend LASIK if you can do it. I got it and dont regret it at all. Worth every penny. Then you never have to worry about glasses(with the exception of probably needing reading glasses when you get older) again
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

So I got to jump my helmet today and during free fall had no problems with my glasses fogging. However I do have to leave the lens cracked open a bit just before jumping and once under canopy I just open it fully. It is super comfy and I didn't have any issues soooo all is good =p

Interesting question. I just switched over from a Mindwarp to a Mamba, after too many friends got bashed in their faces (me too a couple times). I have noticed a bit of fogging up myself, both on jump run AND sometimes after opening my canopy.

If I'm fogging up after opening, the answer is simple, I just flip the lid up and fly on. So far has only happened on one humid day. Otherwise, in the plane I don't drop the lid until I'm approaching the open door. I do drop the lid down halfway, so that it's obvious to me that it isn't closed yet. Have so far had no problems going floater or in freefall.

Interesting point about whether it's the glasses or not, as I wear glasses. It hadn't even occurred to me that it might be my glasses and not the helmet. I suppose a cleaning solution with anti-fogging properties might help ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Had the same problem when I got mine.

Take the front pad out & cut a hole in it about the size of a quarter. Lets your hot breath out, and fogging glasses are pretty rare.

I jumped with the visor open once by mistake, didn't notice until my eyes started watering in my track! :o

The visor WILL NOT rip off, trust me.

I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

I jumped with the visor open once by mistake, didn't notice until my eyes started watering in my track! :o

The visor WILL NOT rip off, trust me.

Now THATS se quality craftsmanship. Haha. Again confirms my decision to go with my mamba.

So did you shut the cisor in freefall or??:ph34r: