ciscobird

After being solely responsible for destroying a multi-way formation dive, you….

After screwing up a dive (went below and corked the base apart) and feeling so terrible about ruining a dive for everybody, I was thinking how I could make it up to the guys…

Of course I know it happens to everybody. I just wanted to know what you usually do (when you first started out and after making 1000+ dives).

What are your thoughts on the matter? What is the custom or norm at your dropzones?

Thanks!

After screwing up a dive (went below and corked the base apart) and feeling so terrible about ruining a dive for everybody, I was thinking how I could make it up to the guys…

Of course I know it happens to everybody. I just wanted to know what you usually do (when you first started out and after making 1000+ dives).

What are your thoughts on the matter? What is the custom or norm at your dropzones?

Thanks!

You forgot:

[ ] ...join a long list of people, probably including everyone else on that dive, who have previous experience doing the same thing. :)

Apologize, make it clear you understand the safety risks of any mistakes you might have made, maybe debrief how to handle it differently next time, then pass out a few beers at the end of the day and move on from it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Once you know you are fucked and are going to wreck the dive:

a) make sure you don't hurt anyone
b) do it so spectacularly that it makes the boogie/ year end video
c) say you're sorry, and tell anyone that gets really mad to remember the last time they did it, and hush
d) don' make a habit of it

You've got it wrong. The base suddenly slowed down and then when they saw you low they all tried to come to your level. :P

Buy beer and talk to the organizer to figure out what is the lessons to learn and then talk about it over the beer at night!

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

How about fess up, take your lumps, and do better on the next dive?

Nobody is saving lives or feeding hungry children by doing fun jumps. It's supposed to be fun, and unless you took out the skydive on purpose, you just made an honest mistake, and everyone should continue to have fun.

Yes, there are some safety considerations to think about, and you can discuss those with the organizer. Even if you know them already, touch base with the guy so he knows that you know. It will go long way toward getting you invited on the next one.

Then pack up, get to the dirt dive on time, and in freefall just smile, relax, and take your time.

Holy crap! You mean I am supposed to feel bad about messing up a skydive????? :o:o:S

:D

News to me too! :D

I can funnel anything!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

People make mistakes. The only thing to consider if you do this a lot.
If it happens a lot, then consider whether you have the appropriate skills to be on a jump of that complexity. If you make a mistake, or see one, learn from it. You can always back it down a little and focus on that particular skill.

>I was thinking how I could make it up to the guys…

Apologize, take your lumps, fix the problem. What not to do:

1) Just pack up and leave.
2) Blame it on your gloves.
3) Blame it on some other guy (well, if there's video, that is)
4) Get drunk then head to the debrief irate and argumentative.

None of the above have worked well on the dives I've been on.

Didn't vote since all the options had too much of drama queen aspect to them. Its all about you and your feelings.

If you didn't endanger anyone, just admit your fuck ups, learn from them and don't repeat any of that crap.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Thanks!

You forgot:

[ ] ...join a long list of people, probably including everyone else on that dive, who have previous experience doing the same thing. :)

What Tony said. To a tee. If they can't remember being 'that guy', they're not worth flying with, anyway.

Learn from it, then move on. Mistakes are only bad things until you turn them into lessons.
Signatures are the new black.

Thanks!

Hey, everybody fucks up once in a while. Own up to it and say you're sorry you ruined the jump, but glad that nobody was hurt.

Now there was this guy who had absolutely no talent for formation skydiving. On a jump in the late 90's, he took out the formation not once, not twice, but THREE times!!!! I believe it was an 8 way, and he made rough docks all three times that forced mini-funnels.

He knew it once we were all back on the ground how bad he was. I never saw him again, and he lived close by. He was a big talker/bullshitter who got unceremoniously put in his place and none of us had to say a word to him.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

you forgot the :
pull low, run to the hangar, pack quick and act as it wasn't you, you weren't even on their load :)

Oh I like this one

make sure you change jumpsuits.

im new to this whole thing, but srsly, NOONE started perfect. everyone fucks up, skydiving should be fun, (unless youre competing in some huuuge comp, then it would matter), if people seriously get that upset, say youre sorry and make sure you dont jump with them again. its not worth it. if i was on a multi-way and noone got hurt id chalk it up to a good dive.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

After screwing up a dive (went below and corked the base apart) and feeling so terrible about ruining a dive for everybody, I was thinking how I could make it up to the guys&

Thanks!

If you knew planned formations were beyond your ability pack your bags and go home.

Otherwise it happens. Learn from it and screw up some other way next time.

I've seen the base been taken out, funneled out the door (yep, on 100-ways!), people in front of me dock so hard I had no chance of getting on the resulting wave, people dock so hard on me I felt it in my entire body, gotten ripped out of the formation when I was docked, had people fly below me, and none of that stuff has ever ruined my skydive. I've had some seriously good jumps where someone else messed up.

If I screwed up really badly I say sorry and get tips on how to improve my flying from more experienced jumpers. Of course it depends on how serious the group is, but I always look for learning opportunities. I won't sit myself down, and what's the point of running away, no one will respect me for it.

Don't be so hard on yourself: keep jumping and learn how to not go low. The only people who has never, ever gone low are seriously underweighted or over dressed. ;) And if you never go low, you'll never know how fast you can go, and you'll never be on anything that builds really fast.

And spend your money on jumping not buying beer for other people for something that's not covered by the beer rules.

:)
Remember:

"Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet!"

No one will shoot you for taking out the base.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?