Airviking

Is belly flying still viable?

Yeah, it's just so action packed!

You go to one place, you stay in one place, you go back out again...:P

:D:D:D Yeah, that's pretty much it. And you forgot that annoying loud noise you get in your left ear from time to time. And the canopy check: "Is it there is it square is there any people in it?"

And some of us don't even get to pick up grips, we can go jump after jump not picking up anything because the people in front of us won't let us. It's hard being small.

But I still love it!

:)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I can't imagine why anyone would use their time and money on anything else.

You should try it, it is harder than you think.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I can't imagine why anyone would use their time and money on anything else.

As opposed to freefly, aka the fine art of flopping around kinda sorta near some other guys, geeking each other. "Look at me! I'm on my head! Now I'm not! Now I am! Now I'm not! Barrel roll! Hey, is there someone under me....?"

As opposed to freefly, aka the fine art of flopping around kinda sorta near some other guys, geeking each other. "Look at me! I'm on my head! Now I'm not! Now I am! Now I'm not! Barrel roll! Hey, is there someone under me....?"

HA! I laugh!:D
I believe you have my stapler.

Persoanlly, I love the bird like feeling of belly to earth...I learn freeflying from Pat Works ,((the Father of freeflying if you ask me)) long before it was Kewl, so I could get camera angles no one else was getting.Great art, ..But for fun??? give me belly to earth!

Probably 75% of the jumpers at my dz jump RW. I havent gotten into it too much, doesnt offer up much of a challenge.

HAH!

It may be easy to get good. Try winning!

jon

Or training Students!

I think we found a candidate for the arrogant skydiver thread!

B license

Is that a requirement in Canada? Not so in the U.S. - you can do RW before you even have your A license...

Oh...interesting...so it's a Canada-USA difference then. I had always thought it was a difference between now and my first pass at this sport 20+ years ago.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Probably 75% of the jumpers at my dz jump RW. I havent gotten into it too much, doesnt offer up much of a challenge.

HAH!

It may be easy to get good. Try winning!

jon

Or training Students!

I think we found a candidate for the arrogant skydiver thread!

who you refering to as the arrogant one? me or jon?

as for training students, coach rating is in my near future, so ill be doin more rw over the winter to work towards that.

You have 75+ jumps, you haven’t gotten in too much but you already know it’s not much of a challenge.

Maybe you could explain just what it is that makes VSD/free flying so much more challenging than belly flying. It there some magical thing you do to move your body around? The only thing I have ever noticed as being different is the jumper’s orientation to the relative wind.

Sparky

as for training students, coach rating is in my near future, so ill be doin more rw over the winter to work towards that.

well, with 75 whole jumnps and coach rating "pending" you write to Airspeed, maybe they'll cut Thomas or Nik and put in the slot

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You have 75+ jumps, you haven’t gotten in too much but you already know it’s not much of a challenge.

Maybe you could explain just what it is that makes VSD/free flying so much more challenging than belly flying. It there some magical thing you do to move your body around? The only thing I have ever noticed as being different is the jumper’s orientation to the relative wind.

Sparky

I have just about 3 hours of freefall time if you include tunnel just passed 100 jumps this weekend (ill wait for the sarcastic "oh 100 jumps, excuse me!!) this has been over the last 5 months.

And as for a challenge, i havent found it to be to challenging, thats just me, it doesnt mean others dont. I credit this alot to the tunnel.

Theres alot of things that make freeflying more challenging then belly, i didnt think that was even debatable.

Theres alot of things that make freeflying more challenging then belly, i didnt think that was even debatable.

What is it that makes it so much more challenging? That should be easy to explain.

Sparky

Well first off it is more dangerous, and when things are more dangerous it presents more of a challenge to make it safe. Its more dangerous because of the speed. Body positons has to be more finely tuned, one wrong move and you cork or into somebody can easily knocked someone out. It also take more time to learn to fly sit and head down, belly is just a very natural feeling.

Heres a scenario, take 8 skydivers. 6 d-licensed and 2 new a license. For them to build an 8 way formation is not gonna be to difficult. For them to build an 8 way head down formation, thats not gonna happen.

Both types of flying require the same thing of the jumper, deflecting air to move your body and control your fall rate. You say VSD is more dangerous, that is because it is being practiced by so many inexperienced jumpers. Anything in is skydiving is dangerous and when it is done by inexperience people that just adds to the danger.
As far as 6 D lic jumpers and 2 new guys, that depends the experience of all involved. They recently completed a 107 way VSD formation which indicates it can be done and done safely. I know a couple of the people on that dive and they have also been involved in big way, 100 or more, belly formations.
The point I am trying make is just because it is the type of jumping you have chosen to do does not make it bigger, bader, and any more difficult to do well. The key phrase is “doing it well”. It all takes practice and experience.

Sparky