Hunt_Joshua_G

Does the fear ever go away?

Hi Josh,
Does it ever go away? I know it's already been said a few times, but +1. I hope not. That would be dangerous. Complacency can get you hurt badly. I'd say I had a LOT of fear when I started jumping. You can desensitize yourself to any phobia w/repeated exposures. My fear of heights was pretty extreme, though. It was a true leap-of-faith that the principle would hold true for skydiving, as well. If you're lucky enough to be able to jump 4-5 times a day @your DZ. It will subside much quicker for you. I'm lucky to get more than two jumps a week @my DZ. So, it took a bit longer. I went from loads of fear, to some butterflies in the plane. Once I'm @the door? It's all goodB|...

Prep for it better? If I may? Rather than trying to amp yourself up for a jump. Try to face your fears calmly. I've seen a number of guys trying to psych themselves up before a jump. I feel it's the wrong approach. Much has been written about fear. Briefly then, what works for me: I take a few minutes during the second half of the climb. I go over my new-found abilities. All the learning objectives I've accomplished. Mistakes I've managed to save myself from. The serene beauty of parts of the dive cycle, etc... In short, I remind myself that A) I've proven to myself that I can do this safely. & B) That I really enjoy it.

It's only sane to be afraid of pitching yourself out of a plane @14K'. It's insane to completely lose your fear of jumping. That will turn you into a statistic pretty quickly. Those first fledgling AFF jumps are a hurdle for almost everyone. You'll get past them quickly, & be glad you stuck it out. Enjoy your jumps, Josh.

So after reading all these posts I have come to the realization that I must be a little more insane than I thought I was. Granted I have only jumped once but not once did I have an ounce of fear. I know the risks and the dangers associated with skydiving and I read and try to learn as much as possible and try to make myself as prepared as i can. But with that being said I am not scared. I may be once I start aff and am jumping by myself but I don't really see that happening. Like mentioned before that is probably a bad thing but I am always aware and take whatever precautions I can to ensure my own safety and that of others which I think is one of the reasons I don't feel scared

I have only jumped once but not once did I have an ounce of fear.

That's extremely rare.

Yeah I thought so too. I have always been somewhat of an adrenaline junkie and honestly I was more excited than anything. The plane ride up, before exit, during free fall, not scared at all. In fact just about everyone else on he plane was nervous and second guessing doing it and I was just hoping they would hurry up and get out foe the way so I could go.

We do have a softening of the negative emotion over time, with repeated exposure. That is normal. What also happens is that we sometimes overcompensate and lose our respect for the danger, because the "super-confidence" gets us out of the door. We must remain open to the wisdom that the negative emotion brings us. It saves our lives from time to time.

If it feels good do it. If you are freaked out, do not just look the other way and do it anyway. That is naive. Further analysis is necessary to determine the risks in relationship to your skills. You may just need a pin-check in order to feel better. It might be too windy. You may be in over your head, or you just might be focusing too much on the negative possibilities.

Fear is merely a messenger, and we need its intell. Once you look beyond the emotion, and come clear on the facts, you will know exactly what to do. Listen to your gut. If it feels good, you are headed in the right direction.

Safety First!
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

That's extremely rare.

Yeah I thought so too. I have always been somewhat of an adrenaline junkie and honestly I was more excited than anything. The plane ride up, before exit, during free fall, not scared at all. In fact just about everyone else on he plane was nervous and second guessing doing it and I was just hoping they would hurry up and get out foe the way so I could go.

Get back with us after your secomnd jump, it is always scareier than the first..

In answer to the OP, Yes, it goes away, but is replaced with Knowledge

That's extremely rare.

Get back with us after your secomnd jump, it is always scareier than the first..

True that... I didn't know what I got myself into until after the first jump. However, I will add that each time you go, it's more fun than the last!
Don't forget to pull!

Never goes away completely. But it's worse in the morning, especially if you haven't jumped in a couple weeks. After a jump or two you're fine. But a little honest fear keeps you respectful - and sharp & honest. Don't ever lose sight of the fear, just learn to understand and USE it to your advantage.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I still get nervous on take-off until about 1000' (depending on how many jumpers are between me and the door). My fear is something will go wrong with the aircraft and I won't have enough altitude to get out of the door and deploy my canopy. After about a 1000', give or take, I know that I can at least get out the door and make my own decisions that I will have to deal with the instead of relying on the pilot's decisions.
My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.

Some of my most fearful jumps were the best performing, and some of my least fearful jumps ended up being the scariest by the time I touched ground. Skydiving is an experience where one will continually learn over time how to use the fear in a more positive way, to keep you alive. Positive confidence is good, but over confidence and skydiving will put you back in check, fast.

That's extremely rare.

True that... I didn't know what I got myself into until after the first jump. However, I will add that each time you go, it's more fun than the last!

On my way in an hour for my second jump, and I am freaking frightened. All was good until an hour or so ago, and now I am shivering in fear. With a little nervous excitement, I guess.

On the way up i meditate, and focus on what I'm goint to attempt to do.
The fear kicks in when the door opens and it's time. The moment my feet are free of gravity I'm very relaxed and in a meditative state.
When it's time to pull it's very fluid and all is well.
The fear comes back around the 500 foot mark and peaks at about 10ft right before I land.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I was lamenting the loss of the ORIGIONAL EXCITMENT, until I forgot to zip my jumpsuit. Seems that a little thing like that can spin you like a pinwheel! I had adrenalin for days. Or the time my leg fell asleep in the plane. Who knew about such things. Hope I don't discover too many more.

On the way up i meditate, and focus on what I'm goint to attempt to do.
The fear kicks in when the door opens and it's time. The moment my feet are free of gravity I'm very relaxed and in a meditative state.
When it's time to pull it's very fluid and all is well.
The fear comes back around the 500 foot mark and peaks at about 10ft right before I land.

This is exactly what I did today. A quick meditation to clear my mind of the fear and focus on the task at hand.

Money. So fucking elated right now. Been crying tears of joy on and off for hours.

I am so hooked.

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE TO WONDER THIS!

My first tandem I was afraid I'd die and go to hell since I hadn't been to church in a while.

My first IAD I was fine...manly because I kept a huge fake smile on my face.

My first clear and pull I was so scared I had an out-of-body experience, yet it was a perfect jump.

After jump 12 things changed: I began to marvel at what I was doing and how beautiful the sight outside the plane was.

About jump 20 I started just being calmer.

Jump 22 I started concentrating on what I had to do and that made things a lot easier.

I've heard everyone is at least somewhat afraid and it really is a good thing: makes you think twice about gear checks and keeps one alert.

DO NOT PRAY MORE THAN ONCE: over-prayer causes stress and shows a lack of faith.

S&S