Hunt_Joshua_G

Does the fear ever go away?

Hey all I did my LVL 2 AFF today and the whole ride up i was scared out of my mind but as soon as i was falling i was just fine. Does the pre jump fear go away or should i just prep for it better
"When the people look like ants-PULL,
When the ants look like people-PRAY."
"Only skydivers know why the birds sing."

I'm a newbie, but for me the fear hasn't 'gone away' just CHANGED... at first I was afraid of the plane ride, then it switched to the door opening, then it switched to stability fears, then to landing fears, then malfunction fears, now i'm back to hard opening and landing fears! But at least I beat the door monster...

Hell I thought i was the only one. I noticed that on my aff i was very nervous going up in the plane. I think alot had to do with performance fear cuz after level 7 when i did the 2 solos and the hop and pop it wasnt near as bad.Now im doing coached jumps its kinda back. I hope it never completely goes away because that's where the rush comes from. No matter how weird you feel on the way up its all better when you exit the plane:)

Yup it subsided after 25 or 30 jumps and eventually got to the point where I'd rather jump than land with a plane.
But hopefully it never goes completely away because it'll help keep you alive. You don't want to get complacent about gear checks before you get aboard the plane and a pin check before you jump.

No FEAR= bad. Little FEAR= a long skydiving career.

Change over time? Yes

Go away completely? I hope not.

I'm still nervous in the plane.

I had a very experienced camera flier tell me that he still gets nervous before jumping. And that if that ever went away completely then he would quit jumping, because that would mean he had become complacent and was not taking the risks seriously enough.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

No FEAR= bad. Little FEAR= a long skydiving career.

I agree with MAsterYoda. The fear never really goes away completely, but that's a good thing. The fear keeps you alive. The fear will eventually get less and less overwhelming and more and more controllable.

Make sure to take slow, smooth breaths in the plane, focus on what TO do during the jump rather than the "what ifs," and remember to smile. :)
It's completely normal to be scared skydiving. Why wouldn't you be scared? The important thing to remember is that you can still perform at your best when you're scared. Everyone feels the fear, but the cool part is that you JUMP ANYWAY. B|
http://3ringnecklace.com/

I'm a little farther along in AFF than you, but I still get nervous. I've mentioned it in another thread, but before the first non-tandem I ever made (it was just the 2 AFF instructors, a camera flyer, and I in the plane, along with maybe 2 or 3 experienced jumpers that kept to themselves at the front), I nearly started crying. They were set to video parts of the ride up, but I actually had to ask them to turn the camera off because I couldn't even think about trying to joke around with them (you know the usual stuff... "Wait, you're taking these two with you? Did you sign that extra waiver?")...

Then I was fine again, but for the 4th jump, I was freaking out again. I was afraid that I was going to lose the instructor because I am more than 100 pounds lighter than him, so I thought my fall rate would be dramatically slower, or that I wouldn't be able to stay stable. With the help of the lovely folks on here though, I quickly got over that and realized that I was simply being a lunatic, as usual. :P

I'm still a little afraid, but after each "milestone," it's like I conquer a new fear, feel better for a few jumps, then something new pops up. LOL But it's not a bad thing because I definitely don't want to be complacent!!! Best of luck, and I'm sure your fear will lessen over time! B|

I was afraid that I was going to lose the instructor because I am more than 100 pounds lighter than him, so I thought my fall rate would be dramatically slower, or that I wouldn't be able to stay stable.

OT: I have over 100lbs extra exit weight to one of my instructors (He is ~180, I am ~280), and I have lost him twice on exit (CAT B and CAT C1). We modified the exit procedure for CAT C2 and everything has been much better.

For me, it went away after 15-20 jumps. Now, it's different, I don't know how to call it: excitement, exhilaration? Still some kind of fear, but a much more pleasant one, like a fear that's more focused and stimulating.
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

Yes, it does go away. Not completely, as others have said, but for most jumpers it becomes manageable.

You can do a lot to reduce the amount of fear you have right now by learning as much as you can about the gear you are using and about skydiving in general. If you don't already have one, pick up or download the USPA SIM, and spend at least twice as long reading it as you've spent reading these forums. Ask your instructors lots of questions - including the one you just asked here. You're paying for their knowledge and their time, take advantage of it.

It's changing for me and it's still largely based on where I sit on the load. If I'm close to the door, depending on where I'm seated, the first time it's opened on the climb I get nervous and briefly think about all kinds of things I would prefer not to. I also have nerves right before exit.

New planes, new kinds of exits...new anything gets me...but you will notice it gets a lot better, especially if you have a day with multiple loads...you will start itching to get out by the end of the day.:ph34r:

Best advice I can give from my AFF experience is to get enough sleep, eat, drink and focus on your dive flow and breathing...close your eyes and smile! You are about to skydive!B|

For me as a novice, the key to managing the fear on the plane ride up was more than just total number of jumps (though that was part of it) - it was also "currency": jumping frequently, and making more than one jump per day. The more frequently and more recently you jump, the less pre-jump fear you'll probably have, because your mind gets acclimated to the experience.

Once you're off AFF and cleared to self-supervise, the jumps will be cheaper, so you can do more jumps per jump day w/o breaking your wallet. Try to do at least 3 jumps per jump day. If you do, I'll bet you'll have noticeably less pre-jump fear on the ride up for your third jump of the day.

Hey all I did my LVL 2 AFF today and the whole ride up i was scared out of my mind but as soon as i was falling i was just fine. Does the pre jump fear go away or should i just prep for it better

319 jumps and i still have a healthy fear.
Certainly not a "crapping in my pants, wish I had stayed on the ground" kinda fear. Just enough so that I dont forget what could happen to me.
I think it''ll help keep me alert and alive :)
__

My mighty steed

For me as a novice, the key to managing the fear on the plane ride up was more than just total number of jumps (though that was part of it) - it was also "currency": jumping frequently, and making more than one jump per day. The more frequently and more recently you jump, the less pre-jump fear you'll probably have, because your mind gets acclimated to the experience.

Sooooo true... as a newbie a month was a HUGE amount of time off; now it's not a big deal in terms of fear or comfort.

As for me, I find that while my raw fear has gone down the longer I stay in the sport, my respect for the risk has increased exponentially. Not that I ever thought it was safe, but the more time I spend the more I start to truly understand and appreciate the myriad ways you can kill/injure yourself or others in this sport as I see more and more close calls and actual incidents.

I think that continuing to have that healthy appreciation and understanding is vital to ensuring that complacency doesn't set in.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I asked this question to one of my instructors on my 2nd jump. Her response was "The day you are no longer afraid to jump out of an airplane is the day you should quit skydiving." I still feel fear on the plane ride up but it's manageable and a lot of it is performance anxiety. The thing that helped me the most was closing my eyes on the ride up and visualizing every part of the skydive.
This shit, right here, is OK

What Andy say is totally spot on. Make sure to plan on (if possible) of getting multiple jumps in a day. Now that I have my own rig and license I make at least 4 to 5 jumps each time I'm out there. I personally have been trying to get more jumps in so I can get my B license within the next month or so and each time I get multiple jumps in a day...I am way more relaxed on the ride up. And the elevated heart rate thing...think about the movie 'Wanted' use the elevated heart rate to become more aware of your surroundings and use it to your advantage!

I think the fear comes and goes. Every time you try something new there is added fear. After a reserve ride, a little added fear, coming back from an injury or a layoff, or a particularly hard opening, cotton mouth returns for a few jump.

And a little fear is not a bad thing. I took a friend for jump and he kept saying he wasn't afraid, or worried. Then the door opened and he road the plane down. Then he was afraid.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

A word of advice, to a jumper friend.

The fear should not be there....its a waste of energy that can be put to a greater use.

Stop and think about it, my friend.

You've jumped before....youve proved you are capable....likely the same rig, the same plane, the same sky, everything the same....so what is to fear?

You've proved you could do it, and everything worked fine.....just as it will this time, the next time, the next time and forever...the next time.

Now, if you should do something dumb, like pack your rig without care and caution, you THEN may expect....MAYBE something will be different....but not really something to fear.

However, chutes are made to open...and likely always will open as long as you are careful....so why are you fearing something that should have no fear...but only everlasting enjoyment.

Don't fret over the things that somehow " MIGHT" happen....sit back, enjoy the ride to the top floor, and then think too, of how much you are going to enjoy the fall to the earth, and a good landing.

Nothing to fear...don't waste the energy....look forward to the thrill, to the flying, to seeing your friends in the blue.

Look forward to fun, to enjoyment...to the best sport in the world.

DO NOT waste time fearing or wqorrying over something that you have already proved you are good at, and can accomplish.

Look forward to the great sport you are in , the sport many wish they could get into, but lack what you have...the guts....the nerve to actually do it.

You have already proved yourself worthy of the title " SKYDIVER"

Now stop this unrequired fear of nothing and enjoy yourself.

There is nothing to fear....Ive been there and I know.

Have a great jump, and leave a good mark in the sky

Bill Cole D-41.

- it was also "currency": jumping frequently, and making more than one jump per day.

+1. Jumping frequently really helped with my nerves. Also, once I was off of the static line, I started to have fun. I definitely get butterflies, but I have way fewer, "I could just drive away now and not come back" moments. I still have the bottle of Pepto in my bag though, in case those nerves come back :o

Here's my take. I was nervous for AFF 1... but not much. It was more "performance anxiety" than anything. For AFF 2-7, I was a bit more nervous because I started to gain more awareness of what was going on in freefall, but I compounded that on top of the performance anxiety I had.

Real nervousness didn't start until I started my solo jumps just off AFF. My fear was that at pull time, I'd do something to kill myself. It took me a while to get comfortable with pulling at 4500-4000 instead of 6000 feet.

@ 34 jumps, I'm still nervous... but, I'm starting to loosen up a bit more on the plane. Though, if I were you I'd try to cherish the nervousness. I've got an instructor here that says he'd do anything to get his back.

Edit: A small amount of anxiety will help you out. It'll help you stay mindful when it comes to gear checks and such. I check my gear at least 3 times and I've even found a bad closing loop that the packer missed. The day that I stop noticing things like that is the day that I should take a break from skydiving.
Don't forget to pull!

I don't remember when it changes from vomit inducing fear to exhilarating fear but it does!

I do remember the first jump I really enjoyed was at the end of my progression where I was last out of the plane and I just leaped out with no expectation of performance just the pure thrill.

The fear factor in the first 15 odd jumps was all part of the fun in my view.

I no longer get to jump very often these days but once after a two year break I went back and got to experience some of the fear but nothing close to the gut wrenching fear of the first five or so jumps where you were scared witless when the door flew open, I still smile at the thought of that fear.

So yes in the true sense of fear it does go away but trust me you'll look back with fondness at that fear and your conquering of it. I believe what should remain at least is a respect for the inherent risks of skydiving.