Airviking

Speedstar?

?? Not in my neck of the woods. The whole idea was NO CONTACT with the jumper in front or in back of you until you cross the threshold of the door. Anything else lacks ... purity.

Ok... so when would you consider the transition from, let's call it "Old School" no contact, to "phase II" chunking? I remember taking out three ways for the base, the "barn door", the James Gang's base in the middle. When and who popularized pulling a chunk for ten-man? Was it controversial? Did it require a rule change?

jon

In the old days we left all holding on to each other.

?? Not in my neck of the woods. The whole idea was NO CONTACT with the jumper in front or in back of you until you cross the threshold of the door. Anything else lacks ... purity.

I remember the tenway speedstar exits leaving the DC3 at Perris , (linked) that the last guys were litterally being yanked off their feet by the front guys, they were the most likly to be injured from hitting the door..

I think that is why the no hold exits are now the rule..

In the old days we left all holding on to each other.

Yep! Ain't nuttin like single-file, no-show exit and then the star builds with high-speed level docks. Half the fun is keeping the formation together during the docks while the star is deforming and reforming like a rubber band. I think the "star" could "take" this kind of punishment better than some other formations. My favorite!

I remember the tenway speedstar exits leaving the DC3 at Perris , (linked) that the last guys were litterally being yanked off their feet by the front guys, they were the most likly to be injured from hitting the door..

I think that is why the no hold exits are now the rule..

Actually the worst injuries came up front. If everybody in back was pushing like hell and something got jammed up for a split second and if you were between us and a part of the door you were gonna get smashed. Our tail hit the door a few times and got hurt but nothing like the guys up front. Gruesome bruises and scrapes.

There were a few reasons for the change. Primarily the DC-3 went away and it was not possible to make a similar event out of an Otter.

Another reason was the repeatability of extremely fast ten ways. I think the event was losing some of it's appeal for the masses. You either scored incredibly fast or slow. A blown exit wasn't a bust but might as well have been.

jon

Hi Jon!!,
Yeah yer talkin' about "Phase II' Speed star outa DC-3's that came after the Beeches!! We learned!! We inovated! We Grew!

You Beech nuts had to wear Bell motorcycle helmets. We got away with hockey helmets and Frap hats with a few strategically placed pads of cardboard or shin guards. Phase II saw nothing like the carnage out of the Beeches.

jon

Hi Jon,
Yup, traded in my hard hat for a blue Cooper that I jumped for several years and finally got a Fraphatte! Carnage? Beeches "and' 3's had their share! Maybe I survived all those years and my bones let me know too!! At least I can still tilt a glass of beer!! The early daze are told pretty good in the "Blast from the Past" section on the Air Trash website www.AirTrash.com the hist of r/w by Pat works it's a good read.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

GET IN OR GO IN!

Yahoo!:D

We did a few at "Phoenix/Lk Wales" from a King Air. Single file exit "similar" to a DC3 ...not the same but more "3-like" than a TO. Last diver was up by the pilot.:)

Thats gotta be a challange for the pilot , CG changin FAST

not harder than their slot specific armor would take

Please explain what armor was worn, I hadn't heard about this before.

I usually flew 6 or 7 and wore a hard knee pad on my left knee and a field hockey shin guard on my left forearm. Once the exit started there was no stopping it or even slowing it down. If one part of your body made a habit of hitting part of the plane on the way out you would come up with a way to pad that part.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If you found that your right forearm was vulnerable to a rubbing on the forward door frame you might tape a soccer shin pad there. If you were gonna get a knee in your shin you'd pad it. Heavy cardboard worked in a pinch. Very few of us went barefooted as was the style under normal circumstances. I went so far as to wear closed toe runners for traction. I actually got used to it and sort of enjoyed having clean feet at the end of the day.

jon

If you found that your right forearm was vulnerable to a rubbing on the forward door frame you might tape a soccer shin pad there. If you were gonna get a knee in your shin you'd pad it. Heavy cardboard worked in a pinch. Very few of us went barefooted as was the style under normal circumstances. I went so far as to wear closed toe runners for traction. I actually got used to it and sort of enjoyed having clean feet at the end of the day.

jon

Ok, thank you.

I had visions of motocross armor plates getting strapped on under rigs and other extremes, which I'm sure would have been laughable!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

jon

Ok, thank you.

I had visions of motocross armor plates getting strapped on under rigs and other extremes, which I'm sure would have been laughable!

:D Yes, that would have been hilarious. Ripped up cardboard boxes duct-taped to your body in various spots is much less comical. :)

At the risk of dating myself...Does anyone do 10-way speed star nowadays? I mean just for fun? (and it is a helluva lot of fun!!!)B|

Not what you remember as "speed star". This is about a close as you will see.

Sparky

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53825637@N06/4981778623/

I am first out the door in that video:)
Here is another of my team, making a different formation:

www.flickr.com/photos/22259954@N02/5072747277/

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is a real poor quality video but it gives you an idea of an old school 10 man exit.

Sparky

http://s397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/?action=view&current=DSCN0182.mp4

That was really neat, thank you for posting it.

I guess the hardest part of that video back then was the guy having to hand-crank that antique video camera...:D:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

GET IN OR GO IN!

Yahoo!:D

We did a few at "Phoenix/Lk Wales" from a King Air. Single file exit "similar" to a DC3 ...not the same but more "3-like" than a TO. Last diver was up by the pilot.:)

Thats gotta be a challange for the pilot , CG changin FAST

I dunno... maybe a pilot could answer that. The KA is pretty stubby from the cockpit door to the exit and the lineup pretty much centered over the wing. So I'm thinking that a 10-way running out would present less of a problem than, say, a normal RW exit (floaters, divers, etc.) all leaving at once. Maybe not.