npgraphicdesign

Cocky/arrogant skydivers.

There's almost nothing I don't like about this sport. I love the thrill, the diversity of people, the learning (no matter how fast/slow it goes and how slow my progress may be), how frequently or infrequently I jump, etc...

...but cocky jumpers? Came to my home DZ today, hanging around looking for people to jump with, and this experienced jumper along with someone who just got his license a couple of weeks ago are doing a two way. I've jumped with the newly licensed jumper before, and I'm pretty inexperienced myself, so I asked if I could join in. The newly licensed jumper's answer was "Sure, join us if the other guy is ok with it." The 'more advanced' jumper's response was "No that's ok, we'll just keep it at a 2way."

WTF? This was about 20 minutes before their load, so it wasn't as I was asking to jump at last minute and was messing up their dive plan. I simply asked if I could join their 2way, and his response was so full of arrogance, it really rubbed me the wrong way. Besides, about an hour later I was on a 3 way with that newly licensed guy and another jumper, and jumping through some snow at 14000 feet made me feel better. :ph34r::P

But seriously...what a cocky a$$hole. :o

You asked, the guy said no. He's not obligated to cater to your desires. Sounds like you're the arrogant one. You've got a lot to learn about skydiving and people pal. If you stay in the sport awhile you'll find yourself giving the same answer as the "cocky asshole" did, then maybe you'll understand what's up. You have a hundred jumps, chill out.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I'm not entirely sure why you're upset. he put it as reasonably as he could. Maybe he was helping the newer jumper with a drill dive or something and juts wanted to do a 2 way.

His response doesn't seem that rude at all.

If you want rude, the first time I visited perris I saw 3 people in RW suits chatting. I asked if they wanted to jump with me.

"Do you have tits?"

"No I don't"

"Then no, we don;t want to jump with you."

You asked, the guy said no. He's not obligated to cater to your desires. Sounds like you're the arrogant one. You've got a lot to learn about skydiving and people pal. If you stay in the sport awhile you'll find yourself giving the same answer as the "cocky asshole" did, then maybe you'll understand what's up. You have a hundred jumps, chill out.

It's not the fact that he said no, it's how he said it. You do know that in real life, the tone in which you say something can give it a completely different meaning, right? ;)

Just like there are different way to criticize someone for a mistake they made, there are different ways to say no to someone.

Rude? That's a seriously funny way of politely telling you no. :ph34r: At 400 jumps you should have a thicker skin than that. In case you haven't noticed, skydivers aren't generally PC. Sometimes they're even deviants. In sort of a good way.

There's almost nothing I don't like about this sport. I love the thrill, the diversity of people, the learning (no matter how fast/slow it goes and how slow my progress may be), how frequently or infrequently I jump, etc...

...but cocky jumpers? Came to my home DZ today, hanging around looking for people to jump with, and this experienced jumper along with someone who just got his license a couple of weeks ago are doing a two way. I've jumped with the newly licensed jumper before, and I'm pretty inexperienced myself, so I asked if I could join in. The newly licensed jumper's answer was "Sure, join us if the other guy is ok with it." The 'more advanced' jumper's response was "No that's ok, we'll just keep it at a 2way."

WTF? This was about 20 minutes before their load, so it wasn't as I was asking to jump at last minute and was messing up their dive plan. I simply asked if I could join their 2way, and his response was so full of arrogance, it really rubbed me the wrong way. Besides, about an hour later I was on a 3 way with that newly licensed guy and another jumper, and jumping through some snow at 14000 feet made me feel better.

But seriously...what a cocky a$$hole.

He pays money to get on the load just like you, it is in his right to not want his jump messed up by a new guy
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

BTW my wife, the graphic designer, used to pay for my jumps. :)

On topic: nobody got mad (or offended, dissappointed, frightened etc.) at me at the DZ today. Or vice versa. How unusual, I must be getting old. :$

Quite possibly if the 2nd guy was not a newly-licensed jumper The Offender would have said Yes. Perhaps he felt that he just wanted to coach the newbie 1-on-1, and adding any additional person would have frakked that up.

As for his tone, unless you have a recording of the conversation you can post so we can hear it for ourselves in context, it's kind of hard for us to judge.

As for his tone, unless you have a recording of the conversation you can post so we can hear it for ourselves in context, it's kind of hard for us to judge.

But that won't stop anyone from being judgemental. :P

Been on both sides of that coin. I might be thinking the experienced jumper had the best interest of the newbie in mind. That jump, one on one may be worth 10 jumps if someone does not help the young jumper concentrate fully on one thing. How many jumps have you seen people orbiting around each other, trying to close the distance for most of the jump. I have had that same thing done to me and did not understand why until I thought about it from an experienced jumpers perspective.

Let it go, it's not worth having your feelings hurt over. There are more serious things in life to worry about.:)

Theres nothing wrong with someone saying no to a jump, but if they are a dick about it, fuck them. If what you are saying about his tone is true, and I don't have any reason to doubt you, he is just one of the few asshole skygod's in the sport.

People that treat low number jumpers like shit are one reason new people leave the sport. While this is rare, I have seen it.

I simply asked if I could join their 2way, and his response was so full of arrogance, it really rubbed me the wrong way.

Suck it up, cupcake. Instead of getting so reactionary, have you tried stepping back and thinking why he might not have wanted another person there?

WTF? This was about 20 minutes before their load, so it wasn't as I was asking to jump at last minute and was messing up their dive plan.

Yeah, you probably were. An experienced jumper, who's being nice enough to jump with a newbie, is probably wanting to teach him some basic skills, and he's going to be able to accomplish a lot more in a two way that he can completely control than a three way.

He had plans for the jump, you didn't fit into them, end of. You don't have a right to slot into any and every skydive you want to, even if you're sure you're good enough to handle it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I simply asked if I could join their 2way, and his response was so full of arrogance, it really rubbed me the wrong way.

Suck it up, cupcake. Instead of getting so reactionary, have you tried stepping back and thinking why he might not have wanted another person there?

WTF? This was about 20 minutes before their load, so it wasn't as I was asking to jump at last minute and was messing up their dive plan.

Yeah, you probably were. An experienced jumper, who's being nice enough to jump with a newbie, is probably wanting to teach him some basic skills, and he's going to be able to accomplish a lot more in a two way that he can completely control than a three way.

He had plans for the jump, you didn't fit into them, end of. You don't have a right to slot into any and every skydive you want to, even if you're sure you're good enough to handle it.

IF the OP simply asked to join them and was told in a very rude manner that he could not, WTF, he is not bitching about not jumping with them, just how he was responded to. Newbies are always told to ask other experienced jumpers if they can safely join them. If you don't ask, you probably won't ever get asked by them. What is wrong with a simple "Thanks for asking, but we already have a dive plan, may be if I have time later we could do that 3-way".

I have been very lucky for the most part, every one at my DZ has alway gone out of thier way to jump with newbies.

It's usually better to make a 2-way with the inexperienced people. I get a lot of practice and a good skydive for me if I do a 2-way with one low timer. If I include another one, I often just get a zoo.

Remember, the experienced jumper pays his own jump ticket, he wants to get something out of it too.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

You have a hundred jumps, chill out.

He pays money to get on the load just like you, it is in his right to not want his jump messed up by a new guy.

I dont know what tone the OP's conversation in, but these two comments are in a nutshell the attitude that I think the OP was talking about.

I agree with what people say about he had every right to say no and that he is not obligated to say yes and he might not have been arrogant and what not, but I wasn't there so it's hard to judge. On the other hand I totally understand what you mean about experienced guys who think they rule the world because of their jump record... Fortunately I personally don't run into them very often, but every once in a while you come across that guy with a lot of jumps under his belt, which for some reason gives him the idea that he doesn't have to at least talk politely to people, including less experienced guys. I don't mind at all getting tips and pointers from experienced jumpers if I've made a mistake, in fact I appreciate it, just as long as they tell me without coming off as arrogant. Everybody started off at jump nr. 1.

Normally I would agree with you, but in this instance I don't think you should put this guy in the cocky category because he was jumping with an inexperienced person. Maybe they were trying a new skill and throwing you in the mix would have made it more difficult for them to accomplish that. You never know, but give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

On another day, ask the same guy to do a 2 way with you and see what he says. If he says no again, then I'm sure he's not cocky, he just doesn't like you. :P;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon