BMichaeli

Triangular parachute?

The Paradactyl, PZ-81, or Delta II for example are all Rogallo style wings. The Thunderbow is triangular shape but is more just a shaped round canopy.

There should be plenty on Mr Rogallo and his wing concept on the web. In general, they were a short lived evolutionary step between round canopies and better performing ram air canopies. The Rogallo concept was also used for early hang gliders (with a rigid frame), and is in use for some paragliding emergency parachutes.

my guess is this one
http://www.dropzone.com/...al_cutaway_1880.html

The parachute in that video is a PZ-81. Which is actually a reserve parachute. It is IMO the nicest single keel parawing. The Delta II would be second and Paradactyl would be third. The double keel Paradactyl out does them all.

To the OP, what information are you looking for? I have a fair bit of experience on parawings. Currently own seven of them, one of which is a brand new, never been jumped Delta II. In addition to what information you want, the video would be helpful cause you could have watched a triangular round parachute called the Thunderbow.

It's my video.
As far as I know it is named DELTA (that's how everybody at the DZ called it). It was reserve parachute taken from Russian rig called TALKA. Unfortunately canopy was lost after second jump that day.

edit:
friend of mine jumping on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtyNEEp9Tdc

that is the video

i was just wondering why it was made and what kind of difference such as advantages and disadvantages it has from other canopies and why we do not use them now or why they were made to begin with

things of that nature

s far as I know it is named DELTA (that's how everybody at the DZ called it). It was reserve parachute taken from Russian rig called TALKA. Unfortunately canopy was lost after second jump that day.

A lot of people refer to it as a Delta but the name is PZ-81.

http://www.ivparachute.com/eng/catalog_detail.aspx?id=114&type=3

I have done about two dozen jumps on mine. It is quite nice and fun to jump.

To lekstrom10k,
I have one Delta II modded like that. I personally like the steering like that better than with the stall panels. The stall panels turns the canopy into a real dog.

To BMichaeli,
Parawings were being designed in the 60s for many things, so had to do with NASA. As to why this reserve was made in the 90's I think that only the company could answer that. The advantages that a lot of parawings had was the small pack volume they have, with the exception of the Delta II, that doesn't pack small but it more because of the material and lines. As for advantages, there really isn't much on today's new designs. They do tend to inflate fast so that could be an advantage. It is kind of hard to answer your questions completely because they could be subjective.

These parawings didn't really generate a lot of lift, so the landings were more or less like a round. You can steer them easily and do offer a better glide than a round. A modern ramair does the same as a parawing and provides a way of generating lift for nicer landings. The landings are probably why they aren't used today. Not that they are really bad but they are nowhere near as nice as a ramair can be.

If you go to my friends flickr page, you can read a lot of vintage articles on parawings and other chutes.

http://www.flickr.com/...intageparachutegear/

That is a pretty cool photo. My ex-boyfriend bought and jumped that Paradactly a couple of times. He really should have chopped it first time. Landed pretty hard under it and had to struggle to control it.

I referred to it as the "Terror-dactly" after witnessing that first jump on it.

Silly old time skydivers! ;)
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

I referred to it as the "Terror-dactly" after witnessing that first jump on it.

Silly old time skydivers! ;)

My first jump on my single keel paradactyl was terrifying. I found myself in freefall with a parachute. It even had the nerve to collapse on me about 20 ft up on landing. I ended up landing on solid ice (a January jump). It hurt so bad and I had the jelly legs afterwards. I kept falling down every time I stood up. My legs were in a little state of shock.

The funny thing about the whole landing was that it broke up what ever was preventing the movement in my knee, I lost 35 degrees the summer prior, and was able to get rid of my cane and walk straight again. As much as that was a painful landing, the paradactyl fixed my knee, got rid of the cane and allowed me to stay in the military. That canopy was worth every cent and all the fear during the jump.

After that jump that canopy never did do any of those things again. It flies normal, well as normal as a paradactyl flies anyways.

One day I might be a old time skydiver but right now I am trying to fight away the grey hairs of almost being 30. :S