CHRCNF

HALO Jumps

High Altitude- around 30,000'?

Low Opening- How low do you pull on one of these jumps?

How high will they take you on these jumps and why does it take so much longer to get to only about twice as high as usual?

Is the one extra minute of free fall really that different and worth THAT much money? What is the whole experience like?

CHRCNF

20 tandems??

I heard they were doing some jumps from 30K in Tennessee for around $250 a jump..

Its not a every jump thing.. I would think for the experience it would be worth it. Especially since youll probably only be doing it once... and you would pull at your normal pull hieght.
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

If for no other reason, it is a personal accomplishment in the book of life goals.
How many people on the planet can say they've made a skydive; much less say they've made a skydive from 30,000'?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

>High Altitude- around 30,000'?

Yeah, around there.

>Low Opening- How low do you pull on one of these jumps?

Whatever altitude you like. Not pulling low is a good idea since you'll have more stuff to deal with.

>How high will they take you on these jumps . . .

30,000 feet is about as high as I've seen. I've done high altitude jumps from ~16,500 to ~31,000.

>and why does it take so much longer to get to only about twice as high as
>usual?

Because aircraft do not climb as quickly at higher altitudes.

>Is the one extra minute of free fall really that different and worth THAT
>much money?

Up to you. I thought it was an interesting challenge to spot from that altitude (with the altitude, the winds and the throw, it's hard to spot very accurately.) Also the sky starts to get purplish which is pretty cool.

I want to do a HALO Jump... yes, for a licensed skydiver it's about $250. Is the A license fine? I've heard some say you need a B but I don't understand why. The only difference is that you jump from a higher altitude and you have to use supplemental oxygen...
Don't forget to pull!

For the price of one HALO jump you can do around 20 tandems, or go through all of the student training and do some solo jumps. I don't think it is worth it.

You're thinking about the price of a tandem HALO. For licensed skydivers its $375 for first time. According your sim I believe its C license requirement but they'll take you as long as you have your B I believe.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I want to do a HALO Jump... yes, for a licensed skydiver it's about $250. Is the A license fine? I've heard some say you need a B but I don't understand why. The only difference is that you jump from a higher altitude and you have to use supplemental oxygen...

SIM 6.7

There's a bit more to it. Hypoxia can be really sneaky.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

so on the flight up to the high alittudes do you wear a full nonrebreather or just some nose hose(cannula)?
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

>so on the flight up to the high alittudes do you wear a full nonrebreather
>or just some nose hose(cannula)?

Up to 27,000 - cannula
Up to 31,000 - 100% demand system on the way up (and 30 min prior to purge nitrogen)

gotcha, cool, always wondered. thanks.
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

>gotcha, cool, always wondered. thanks.

Please note that the cannula at 27,000 feet is definitely _not_ recommended, and is more a "we tried this and no one died" sort of thing. There are some pretty serious problems with time-of-useful-consciousness, hypoxic brain injury and decompression sickness at those altitudes without 100% O2.

A more common guideline is supplemental in-cabin oxygen up to 20,000 feet, and full-face demand O2 to 30,000 feet.

How high will they take you on these jumps and why does it take so much longer to get to only about twice as high as usual?

Is the one extra minute of free fall really that different and worth THAT much money? What is the whole experience like?

the 23/24k jumps are much cheaper, easier to arrange, though some here expressed concern about the potential for decompression sickness. No O2 bottles, no extra gear.

I did one of those for $75 at Hollister, who occasionally would schedule them for an early first load. It's amazingly debilitating to take off the O2 mask to get ready for jump run. The guys ahead of me overcounted and we all landed a mile north - jump run air speed is much higher at that altitude. When exiting, even at 24k, you can feel the difference in your grip of the air, and you can feel it getting thicker. 30k would be even more so, and the sky should be getting much bluer. Exhausting, though. I was too tired to do any more that day.

Prices certainly vary. Skydance wants their HALO jumpers to arrange a flight chamber ride ahead of time. Not sure if that's $$ or just logistics of getting onto a military base.

If price is no object, the HALO jumps at Everest are about the coolest thing I can imagine. You exit a mere grand over the level of the summit, see glaciers everywhere, land on snow.

PSA: none of what has been advocated so far in this thread is reflective of how a HALO jump is done in the military and in fact, there is a lot that has not been mentioned. For those interested, there are several older threads that discuss the issues and the correct way to do this, a search will bring those threads up.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Please note that the cannula at 27,000 feet is definitely _not_ recommended, and is more a "we tried this and no one died" sort of thing. There are some pretty serious problems with time-of-useful-consciousness, hypoxic brain injury and decompression sickness at those altitudes without 100% O2.

A more common guideline is supplemental in-cabin oxygen up to 20,000 feet, and full-face demand O2 to 30,000 feet.

jsut like SCUBA diving, cept at altitude rather than depth

Yep. Both are caused by depressurization. Scuba -> during the ascent from depth. Skydiving -> during the ride to altitude. Same concept.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

talked to the guy at halojumper.com and if you take a full load of 7 people the organizer gets a free jump, or he can split the difference and everyone jump for 250 apiece.

so if you can get 6 other people to go with you its the way to go. im going up there next summer once i get a little more experience.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Yep. Both are caused by depressurization. Scuba -> during the ascent from depth. Skydiving -> during the ride to altitude. Same concept.

This is where a lot of people get confused with what is happening and without getting into the weeds, the easiest way to understand this is draw or imagine a horizontal line and think of this as the ground. Draw an arrow going up toward the sky and draw an arrow going down into the ocean and ask yourself where the changes in atmosphere are occurring in relation to one another.

To the OP, if you use a business like HALO jumper, you will be doing the jump in the same manner that is used in the military, using the correct equipment,pre breathing on the ground and using a bail out bottle during the skydive. High altitude jumps done at boogies or on record attempts generally forego all of this and are an additional risk to your physiological health.

Here are some short videos that should open ones eyes to the risks/dangers involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqoansxbLT4&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlRFul216LM&feature=related
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING