Hvance

Space ball that comes apart/

wow; another heavily moderated thread; either the mods are actually finallly doing their job, or it must be a glitch - probably associated with the worlds ending in 2012.. :|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

wow; another heavily moderated thread; either the mods are actually finallly doing their job, or it must be a glitch - probably associated with the worlds ending in 2012.. :|

What was deleted?
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

What was deleted?

posts #4-6 by the looks of it
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

What was deleted?

well, that thread for one..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

How does that work?

It opens at a preset altitude and releases the lead shot inside, reducing the whole thing to several, slow-falling parts, as opposed to one fast-falling chunk. Sometimes.

It's not a replacement for a qualified 'ball master' on any jump where you intend to release any type of ball in freefall. Additionally, you must always get the pilot's permission, and coordinate an exit over an open, unpopulated area.

It's not hard for a skyball to get away from you, and it's even easier to focus in on the ball and chase it waaaay too low.

What was deleted?

posts #4-6 by the looks of it

Hmm. Didn't notice the post counters.

How does that work?

It opens at a preset altitude and releases the lead shot inside, reducing the whole thing to several, slow-falling parts, as opposed to one fast-falling chunk. Sometimes.

It's not a replacement for a qualified 'ball master' on any jump where you intend to release any type of ball in freefall. Additionally, you must always get the pilot's permission, and coordinate an exit over an open, unpopulated area.

It's not hard for a skyball to get away from you, and it's even easier to focus in on the ball and chase it waaaay too low.

I like the Sky Ball concept. Never jumped with one, but looks like a hoot.

But I can see why many DZ operators would have an issue with the possibility of steel shot raining down on the DZ, even if they do fall at a harmless rate. I'm trying to come up with a more agreeable option, say, filled with water instead of metal. Would require some streamlining.

Another possibility: The device stays intact, but deploys a small chute. Or "gets big" by other means.

Any thoughts?
I believe you have my stapler.

Another possibility: The device stays intact, but deploys a small chute. Or "gets big" by other means.

Any thoughts?

I'd think you'd need to consider the potential for premature deployment during the skydive and particularly on climb out. You wouldn't want something like that hitting the tail. Obviously it's possible for parachute AADs to fire accidentally, but those are pretty sophisticated and expensive devices.

How big would the drogue need to be? By how much would you be looking to decelerate the ball?

Why would lead powder reach terminal velocity any faster then lead pellets or steel pellets?

I'm referring to after the spaceball breaks apart. Far less surface area, therefore lower terminal velocity. Was in response to the guy who suggested water.

Any thoughts?

I'd think you'd need to consider the potential for premature deployment during the skydive and particularly on climb out. You wouldn't want something like that hitting the tail. Obviously it's possible for parachute AADs to fire accidentally, but those are pretty sophisticated and expensive devices.

How big would the drogue need to be? By how much would you be looking to decelerate the ball?

I agree, and on second thought, I'm not happy with the chute idea...too complex, expensive and possibly hazardous.

I'd like to see this as being almost as simple as a soda bottle with wings. The bottle would have caps top and bottom, which would pop when they see a pressure increase of 4psi (pressure rise during decent from 13,000ft to 3000ft).

If it's cheap enough, then retrieving one that ends up on the ground is optional.
I believe you have my stapler.

I have heard about a kind of space ball that comes apart at a given altitude if still in freefall. Something about a pin, and parts of an altimeter.

How does that work?

I'll show you one next time you are out here, I have two.

Excellent. Will do.

why are you asking Hunter? Definitely not something you need to be thinking about in this stage of your skydiving.

Jay you definitely don't need to be encouraging a very young jumper!! Thats all we need is a 100 jump guy go out with a vladi ball!!! Not gonna happen!!
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

why are you asking Hunter? Definitely not something you need to be thinking about in this stage of your skydiving.

Jay you definitely don't need to be encouraging a very young jumper!! Thats all we need is a 100 jump guy go out with a vladi ball!!! Not gonna happen!!

I thought he said he would show him one, i must have missed the part where he said he could jump with it....:S
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I thought he said he would show him one, i must have missed the part where he said he could jump with it....:S

its opening a door that doesnt need to be open yet
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"