dkf1979

st.louis, mo arch base jump

anyone know where to read up or see pictures of this event. it happened years ago. a man climbed the arch with some sort of suction cups, and base jumped off. would love if someone knew of a site to read up on it. i also heard heard another story containing skydiving, the arch, and a bad outcome. not sure if it's true. anyways. thanks for everything DZ.com people!!!
http://bodypilot.bounceme.net

I have googled this one to death. There's not much information out there on it. All I can tell you is to contact the St. Louis Post Dispatch and see if they will let you look through their archives. They will probably let you for a nominal fee.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Found this: :
"

RANGER ACTIVITIES DIVISION
MORNING REPORT

Attention: Directorate
Regional and Park Chief Rangers, USPP, NIFC, FLETC
Ranger Activities Division Information Network

Day/Date: Tuesday, December 21, 1993

Broadcast: By 0900 EDT

INCIDENTS

92-504 - Jefferson National Expansion (Missouri) - Follow-up on Illegal Jump

John Vincent, the man who climbed and BASE-jumped off the Gateway Arch on September 14, 1992, is on his way to jail for 90 days. Vincent originally pled guilty to the misdemeanor and was sentenced to a $1,000 fine, 25 hours of community service, and a year's probation. On December 19th, however, Vincent had to appear before a federal magistrate judge for violating terms of his probation, for failing to report to his probation officer, and for two recent encounters with the police. The judge revoked his probation and ordered Vincent to serve 90 days in jail, beginning December 29th. The assistant U.S. attorney noted in court that "Mr. Vincent has a serious attitude problem." A request for a delay on the jail reporting date made by Vincent's attorney was denied. [Deryl Stone, CR, JEFF, 12/20]

93-859 - Boston (Massachusetts) - Serious MVA Involving Rangers

On the evening of December 14th, rangers Robert Bond and Michael Tunis were driving to the Longfellow Home to assist in a special event when their 1990 Ford Crown Victoria was struck by a vehicle which crossed into their lane of travel. Bond applied the brakes fully, but no other evasive action was possible. The two vehicles collided virtually head on; both sustained heavy front end damage. Neither ranger was seriously injured, partly because they were wearing seatbelts and body armor and partly because the driver's side airbag in their patrol vehicle deployed upon impact. Bond received a minor burn to his right forearm from the sodium hydroxide gas released by the airbag and a sore left shoulder from the seat belt. The driver of the other vehicle was cited by Cambridge police for causing the accident. [Jon Dick, CR, BOST, 12/16/93]

RESOURCE MANAGEMENT

No field reports today.

STAFF STATUS

Division Chief: No leave or travel scheduled.

Branch of Resource and Visitor Protection: Sisto and Marriott on AL (12/20-12/23); Dickerhoof on AL (12/23).

Branch of Fire and Aviation: Clark on AL (12/23-12/30); Cook on AL (12/22-12/30).

Prepared by WASO Division of Ranger Activities

Telephone: Branch of R&VP - 202-208-4874
Branch of F&A (WASO) - 202-208-5572
Telefax: Branch of R&VP - 202-208-6756
Branch of F&A (WASO) - 202-208-5977
cc:Mail: Branch of R&VP - WASO Ranger Activities
Branch of F&A (WASO) - WASO Fire and Aviation
SkyPager: Emergencies ONLY (numeric message) - 1-800-759-7243, PIN 2404843
"

Derek

I heard about the skydiver who tried to land on the arch, actually did, then fell off and died. Not sure if those details are exactly true, but that's what I heard.
I would LOVE to jump the Arch. It would be awesome to get permission and make a day of it.
A nice safe 600' drop with very few obstacles.
You'd need permission and insurance. I'd be there.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

One dude tried to land on it, fell off (or down the slide) and died.

One dude climbed it. I don't think it was suction cups. May have been a drill and self tappers, as there was also a "damage to property" charge laid. Cops spotted him but he was 12 feet up and climbing, they called the fire brigade that had an 80 foot ladder but he was at 80+ feet, and they all waited for a few hours till he did the hop and was arrested.
It's the year of the Pig.

Yep john vincent did it, he used to jump at gold coast with me.. last I heard he was in jail for vehicular manslaughter..

I saw him on TLC at one point talking about base jumping

.....Seems to me that I recognize Mr. Vincent's name.
I once saw a show which featured a video of him,,,( long hair ?? ponytail? ) climbing over a protective fence, throwing a kiss to the camera, and then Base jumping off the World Trade Center!!!!! It must have been 12 or 15 years ago!!!...maybe 20...
He landed on a grassy plaza, and was hustled into a waiting car.... Does that sound accurate????
...I also recall reading about the person who tried to land on the top of the Arch,,,( presumably after exiting from an airplane) but actually touched down, slightly off center,,,on the slope,,,and had gravity get the best of him. Despite activating his reserve, he was unable to land safely.....sad.....
There are windows in the observation deck of the arch,,, but I doubt they could be opened to facilitate a safe exit......and certainly climbing the outside of the structure would be very risky...

.....Seems to me that I recognize Mr. Vincent's name...

Hmmm. Me too. I once saw a video of him being tarred and feathered by four other BASE jumpers because of his total disregard for BASE ethics.

... as you say Tom,,,,
don't know him personally . have no opinion of him one way or the other... simply reporting a recognition of his name,,, which brought to mind the jump about which I posted...
Thanks for your input which is I am sure, accurate and true . YOUR excellent and high standards, for which, the BASE community has great regard and respect,, will speak far better than any comment which i may make.....the community as an entity, is so much more important, than ANY one or two of it's members, and though I am an active skydiver, I have never "BASEd" ( reluctantly) yet quite well understand the concept of respect, for BASE sites, for those who share the proper insight required for BASE and for those who are on the leading edge of gear and technique development.
Accordingly, the distaste for those who consider themselves to be the "showboat du' jour " and as such, "above such consideration " is an equally important concept and completely understandable....
The consequences of such unacceptable behavior is simply evidence of the natural selection process at work....
" I HATE !! Rude behavior in a Man ,,,
won't tolerate it!!!"... Capt.Woodrow Call
( i.e Tommy Lee Jones) Lonesome Dove.
edited to add quote.......
jmy

There are windows in the observation deck of the arch,,, but I doubt they could be opened to facilitate a safe exit......and certainly climbing the outside of the structure would be very risky...

It is a shame there couldn't be an annual "Arch Day" kind of like Bridge Day but once a year they open up the observation windows and let BASE jumpers go at it. 630 feet tall by 630 feet wide and a fun easy ride to the top ... they would probably have to make some type of modification on it for jumping off of with a step or some way to get onto it safely ...

It's been a while since I've been there and I don't remember how deep or flat to is to walk on at the top. I just checked and it costs $8.00 per tram ride to the top. They are closed on New Years Day and Christmas ... :S

Offer em like $32 a tram ride ticket on New Years Day and promise to keep the tram packed from dawn till dusk. B|B|B|

Think they'd go for it? :S:S:S I'm not sure about the landing area or what laws you'd be breaking I remember there being a park with lots of grass and trees nearby ... :S
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

As far as getting out the windows.... not happening. The windows are about 12" tall, by 2'. BUT... There is a hatch on the top of the arch used to change the light bulb up top. So, there is our safe way to the top. And it's nothing but grass and sidewalks under the arch. Would be a great base jump structure. Chute heading on opening wouldn't be much of a concern. I've also seen billboards around St.Louis asking for $$$ to help preserve the Arch. They need $$$. WE HAVE MONEY. IF.....
http://bodypilot.bounceme.net

Yeah, I do remember those windows being quite tiny. I'm not sure how Bridge Day came to be or how IT got started or when ... It sounds like it would be possible physically to do safely but I'm not to sure of what would be required to overcome the legalities.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

The only reason Bridge Day still has BASE jumping is because of the $$$ it brings to the area. No BASE jumping = No spectators = No $$$

Bridge Day has been around since 1980, before a lot of the NPS/BASE conflicts got started. It continues to thrive.

The NPS permit I received last year to allow jumpers to land on NPS property clearly distinquishes Bridge Day from "other" NPS objects by stating the history, money, and crowd sizes that accompany the event. Basically, in issuing us the 10-year permit to land on NPS property for Bridge Day, the NPS has tried to show no similarities between Bridge Day and any other NPS object (ie.. El Cap, St. Louis Arch, etc.).
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

...I also recall reading about the person who tried to land on the top of the Arch,,,( presumably after exiting from an airplane) but actually touched down, slightly off center,,,on the slope,,,and had gravity get the best of him. Despite activating his reserve, he was unable to land safely.....sad.....

His name was Ken Swyers, a friend and fellow instructor
with me at Archway Sport Parachute Center,
then in Sparta, Illinois.

If memory serves it was in 1980

His wife was filming from below and his best friend
was flying a rented aircraft.

It was his 3rd attempt,
the first two aborted in the weeks prior,
landing in the park west of the monument,
due to slight cross winds...

He wanted a straight north or south approach,
as the arch is only 33 feet across at the top.

He landed at about the 11:00 position, stood up,
just short of top dead center...

He erred by doing what he always did upon landing,
which was to grab the lines and give a shake...
wind caught the canopy and pulled him off his feet,
sliding down the North leg of the arch.

He pulled his reserve, and was clawing
to get off the steel and into clean air...

But as we know,
the arch continues to widen down to the ground
and he wasn't able to get away from it.
All his nylon simply trailed behind him.

None of us at the dropzone knew of the attempts...

The DZO would have handcuffed him to a Buick Bumper
until the idea passed had we known!

I was opening the parachute center early that morning
when the Airport Manager came jogging over...
he looked at me with disdain,
(as he did all skydivers)
and asked me when the plane had returned...

I told him we hadn't flown anything yet,
at which time he made a show of popping the cowlings
and feeling the engines on all the DZ birds.

Don't go anywhere...
DO NOT FLY until I tell you to, he said.
The FAA will be here shortly and they have 'questions'...

It wasn't until 1/2 hour later we got the tragic news.

Two things that I'll never forget about that day were;

One... pulling a young lady back in off the step
on jump run during her try at her 4th static line jump...(something we never did)
Because she had witnessed the fatality from her kitchen
in an apartment across the park...
and came out to jump that day anyway.
She freaked on the step!

And the last words from the DZO that night...

"Guess now we know why Kenny was doing
intentional cut aways with a stop watch"

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

BUT... There is a hatch on the top of the arch used to change the light bulb up top. So, there is our safe way to the top.

It's been done...
A few weeks following the death of the
1st jumper attempting to Base The Arch...

Another skydiver, that had done some rather
extensive and in depth research figured
out the way to gain access to that top
hatch near the aircraft avoidance light.

He was dressed as Santa...
not even yet December!

Upon reaching the top via the interior trolley,
and utilizing the spring latch on the panel...
he pulled his rig from his Santa Toy Sack,
geared up and became Arch #1.

The Department of National Parks has since
taken EXTREME measures to assure that method
is no longer an option!

Link to a short story recalling a demo I did at the Arch...
www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=270299;page=8;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
]

2nd post down...;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

John Vincent jumping off the skyscraper on 5th May 1991 and landing on grass... the trailer of the videomentary, made by LARRY LOCKE, JAN GRZNAR and RUGGERO GABBAI the founders of Arc Pictures post production studio in New York, can be seen on http://www.formainternational.it/eng_documentaries.html

;)

Some people just can't be any more retarded. It just so happens that these are the same people that will put you in jail.

He had previously made more
than one hundred BASE ("Base, Antenna,
Structure, Equipment")

The very term "BASE," used by Vincent
to describe these jump activities to
defendant and others, includes a
reference to the use of an antenna,
for radio communication.

Some people just can't be any more retarded. It just so happens that these are the same people that will put you in jail.

He had previously made more
than one hundred BASE ("Base, Antenna,
Structure, Equipment")

The very term "BASE," used by Vincent
to describe these jump activities to
defendant and others, includes a
reference to the use of an antenna,
for radio communication.

Care to clarify? Because nothing you just said makes any sense.

Thanks.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero